RCMP is Facing A Drop in Recruitment - Newstory

Discussion regarding human resource management.

Moderators: CourtOfficer, Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2

Postby transit cop » Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:34 pm

I guess the difference there is that if you are established in your life, married, children etc. Not getting a salary will make it more difficult to apply. Is the RCMP the only service that does that?

I just find it odd that they get away with that. Even the army pays their recruits. I wonder if that is going to be mentioned in the review, it must be a factor.

At least the $5000.00 you pay in Ontario is tax deductible as tuition.
transit cop

Postby Johnny Cash » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:07 am

Well, if the RCMP is having a hrad time recruiting they might consider actually paying their guys while in training, like the rest of the planet does. As was alluded to, I cannot imagine ANYONE with a family even considering the RCMP. So that leaves them with only young single guys applying.

I wish them luck. Until Ottawa opens the purse strings and allows them to pay guys during training they will have problems. Even if that happens, it's gotta be a hard sell when municipal departments are hiring, and your life is your own with them and you live where you want to.

Nothing against the Mounties themselves, but I sometiems wonder how they are getting any applications at all, much less the 'cream of the crop'.
Johnny Cash
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Westerner » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:04 pm

Most of the people in my troop had never considered applying for any other agency than the RCMP. I wanted to be a Mountie so I made concessions to go through depot, and was able to do so with a wife, mortgage, etc. and did not go into debt. It takes a lot more than paid training to con all the good candidates into going to municipal departments.
Westerner
Rookie Member

Postby Johnny Cash » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:12 pm

Westerner wrote: It takes a lot more than paid training to con all the good candidates into going to municipal departments.

Okay dude. Not sure where exactly the "con" is, unless stablility, paid training and higher pay are what you call a con. :?:

I'm glad they're still attracting fine candidates like yourself, personally I never met anyone who wanted to join the Mounties, but maybe that's an Ontario thing, they don't have much of a presence here.
Johnny Cash
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Leaflooj » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:40 pm

There are mounties all over ottowa. I don't know why anyone would not want to be a mountie. Just does'nt make any sense to me. But im still young. :)
" I did'nt see nothin"
Leaflooj
Sage Member

Postby Johnny Cash » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:48 pm

Leaflooj wrote:There are mounties all over ottowa. I don't know why anyone would not want to be a mountie. Just does'nt make any sense to me. But im still young. :)

Hmm... could be some folks don't fancy on doing their policing in places like Toad River, Buffalo Narrows, or Port Radium.

And others still don't like being on a job for 6 months without pay.

But again, I'm glad to hear there's still interest out there.

As for the Mounties being all over Ottawa, I have only seen them on Parliament Hill myself. Maybe they're in plainclothes all over the rest of Ottawa, and I just didn't notice them. :roll:
Johnny Cash
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Leaflooj » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:57 pm

Well, the RCMP HQ is there, so im going to assume there are a few members in ottowa.
" I did'nt see nothin"
Leaflooj
Sage Member

Postby KL » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:13 pm

How did we get back to this again?

Well, Johnny, you will be surprised to hear that the RCMP has about 1,500 members in Ontario, not including the Ottawa area. Pick a large JFO in Ontario and it is probably run by or supported by the RCMP.

Yes, the RCMP polices some less desireable spots around the country. However, you should check out Red Deer, Jasper and Banff, Alberta, Burnaby, North Vancouver, Whistler, Kelowna, Kamloops and Salmon Arm in BC to name a few before you jump to any conclusions about RCMP postings.

As far as pay goes, I'll put my $62,400 plus about $15,000 in annual overtime against your paycheque any day. What is your leave like? I get 200 hours. Did I mention that our sick time is virtually unlimited?
KL
Poobah Overlord

Postby Leaflooj » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:19 pm

I knew KL would have my back:)
" I did'nt see nothin"
Leaflooj
Sage Member

Postby jaymalo_eh » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:26 pm

KL wrote:How did we get back to this again?

Well, Johnny, you will be surprised to hear that the RCMP has about 1,500 members in Ontario, not including the Ottawa area. Pick a large JFO in Ontario and it is probably run by or supported by the RCMP.

Yes, the RCMP polices some less desireable spots around the country. However, you should check out Red Deer, Jasper and Banff, Alberta, Burnaby, North Vancouver, Whistler, Kelowna, Kamloops and Salmon Arm in BC to name a few before you jump to any conclusions about RCMP postings.

As far as pay goes, I'll put my $62,400 plus about $15,000 in annual overtime against your paycheque any day. What is your leave like? I get 200 hours. Did I mention that our sick time is virtually unlimited?

Ouch... :swords:
Meh...
jaymalo_eh
King Poobah

Postby Johnny Cash » Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:09 pm

You'll put your paycheque against mine will you? Well sorry brother, you'd lose. Or are your guys heads so far in the sand you're not aware that nearly every municipality in the nation pays better? The 200 hours of leave is fine, my department tops out at 280, plus unlimited sick time. If you were trying to somehow "in your face" me you only left me chuckling.

Man, relax. I have no bone to pick with the RCMP, if you guys like it that's great. Personally I wouldn't want to do that kind of policing. My life is my own and I like that. I spent enough years in the military that I no longer want to go where I'm ordered to.

I'm well aware there are Mounties in Ontario, but they do not have a visible presence, thus I suggested fewer people in Ontario grow up wishing to be Mounties. It never crossed the minds of the guys I trained with- they think of the mounties as guys in red coats who ride horses.

Someone else posted something on how the RCMP is having troubles recruiting. I suggested a couple of possible reasons why. If the bureaucrats in Ottawa got their backs up the way some of you have, the problem will never be solved now will it?

PS- Still waiting to learn how the municiplity 'conned' me into working for them...
Johnny Cash
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby aka » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:43 pm

I'm from Ontario .....please don't throw any rotten tomatoes....and I always looked upon the Mounties as the cream of the crop in regards to policing. As I eventually learned, there are good police forces everywhere.
Personally, another force can keep their few thousand dollars of extra pay. Putting on the red serge is priceless. 8)
aka
Veteran Member

Postby KL » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:46 pm

Yes, I got my back up. The reason I did is because I take a lot of pride in my organization and I don't like seeing it put down. This is particularly true when I feel the one doing the putting down doesn't have all the facts.

I wouldn't be surprised if you made more money than me. I wanted to illustrate that the RCMP pay is quite good. If you compare base salaries I believe were are within a couple of hundred dollars of the tops in the country. How many hours do you have to put in to make your money?

RCMP overtime - Continuing duty on a regularly scheduled day time and a half. Called in on a day off is double time.

When it comes to leave, are you including banked stat holiday time? I don't because we handle it differently. If we are scheduled to work a stat we get OT. If we are off we can bank the time or get paid.

RCMP leave - One to four years 120 hours (three weeks). Five to nine years 160 hours (four weeks). Ten years plus is 200 hours (five weeks).

In general, it is difficult to compare the RCMP to other police services. We work in all parts of the country. The cost of living varies. Our base salary affords a better lifestyle in Nova Scotia than a TPS member can hope to have. The opportunity to move around while staying in the organization is far superior to the jumping from service to service I see in Ontario. The variety of duties available in the RCMP cannot be beat.

You can join a police service in Ontario if that's what you want and probably be very happy. I don't think you should base that decision on the first six months of your career.
KL
Poobah Overlord

Postby Johnny Cash » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:16 pm

Well in response:
Nope, I wasn't including banked OT or stat time. The 280 is strictly annual leave. We get the same OT rules as you guys do. Including the banked OT, the court time, and the stat time, and the days off are good. But still not as good as retirement will be. ;)

I appreciate the esprit de corps but I was never knocking the organization's members, rather the bureaucrats that don't see fit to pay their employees during training.

I don't consider the RCMP to be the 'cream of the crop', but that's not a knock. There are good, bad and average coppers in every department. I don't consider one force to be any better than another, although some have different duties and employ different styles.

The topic was on RCMP recruiting problems, obviously they exist unless you believe the article was fiction. Getting riled up and insisting the organization is perfect is not going to solve those problems is it? All I did was suggest some of the possible difficulties that the Force faces. I don't see how trying to compare paycheques and union agreements addresses those issues, though frankly I could do it all day with you if you so fancy. Wanna talk about dental benefits next? :roll:
Johnny Cash
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby KL » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:23 pm

Nah, I'd rather talk dress uniforms. I try to stick to things I think I'll win!

Cream of the crop? That's for someone else to decide.
KL
Poobah Overlord

PreviousNext

Return to Police Human Resource Management