Community Safety Officer- "E" Div

Discussion regarding human resource management.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

FordAve

Community Safety Officer- "E" Div

Postby FordAve » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:25 pm

Safety officers cost 25% less
By Phil Melnychuk - Maple Ridge News - February 20, 2008 | | | |

They’ll swear the same oath as regular members of the RCMP, have the same benefits and pension plan and carry handcuffs, pepper spray and a baton.

But the community safety officers who’ll patrol Maple Ridge for a year and a half, won’t be packing a handgun or a taser – and regular RCMP still will chase and catch the bad guys.

RCMP Insp. Doug Scott gave the partial job description of community safety officers to council Monday as details are firmed up about the pilot program.

“They’re not first responders. They’re not an operational backup,” Scott told council.

“They’ll be relatively less expensive but not dramatically less expensive.”

Specifically, they’ll earn about three-quarters of what a regular officer earns, meaning they’ll top out at about $60,000 a year.

Scott said each city can decide the role of community safety officers, a process that’s going on now as RCMP consult with the business community and the district.

Surrey and Nanaimo are two other cities chosen for the pilot programs.

Scott envisioned younger, prospective police officers, thinking about joining the RCMP, people who want to do police work but don’t want to carry a gun and early retirees, school teachers for example, as three types of people who could become community safety officers.

Some of their duties could be picking up stolen bicycles, helping investigate break and enters and doing community programs or working in schools.

Scott said the RCMP has launched the program because of the greater demands police face in following legal requirements when investigating and charging someone. It now takes two or three times longer than it did 15 years ago to investigate a case while charging someone for drunk driving now can be a six-hour process.

That’s making officers much busier and as a result lower priority calls aren’t answered.

CSOs, though, who would have their own uniforms, wouldn’t replace part-time auxiliary police, who usually have full-time jobs in other fields.

For the pilot program, Scott said most safety officers likely would be auxiliary members who would get another three weeks of intensive training at the RCMP’s Pacific Region Training Centre in Chilliwack.
“The CSO will still come under the detachment commander the same way a constable would,” Scott said.

He noted the Maple Ridge-Pitt Meadows detachment is already finding ways of reducing costs, in advance of what other detachments are doing.

The detachment uses a civilian (a retired RCMP) as a media liaison so a regular member isn’t tied up with the chore.

The community policing office in Pitt Meadows is also staffed by a retired policeman, while its crime prevention officer is also civilian.

Coun. Ken Stewart wanted to know what police services the district would lose in return for saving 20 per cent when compared to a regular officer.

That has to be weighed against costs for private security guards which also patrol parts of the downtown.

Scott, though, said private security creates a barrier, or a “disconnect” between police and the people they’re trying to protect.

A “high level” of coordination between the police and private security would be needed said, Coun. Craig Speirs.

Maple Ridge will kick in about $250,000 for the pilot program, which could be enough to fund three or four officers. It’s hoped the program will start by July.

Financial services general manager Paul Gill said once the roles of community safety officers are determined, it will become apparent if the numbers of regular police can be reduced and save Maple Ridge money.
“That’s the fundamental question.”
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstien

"Your problem is low self-esteem. It's very common among losers."

Bald Man
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Re: Community Safety Officer- "E" Div

Postby Bald Man » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:46 pm

If they are full-time salaried members with a pension, what happens when the review is up and it's decided to cancel the program?

FordAve

Postby FordAve » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:02 pm

I understand they have three options 1. Become RM if qualified and interested 2. Become CM if qualified and interested 3. Some kind of job re-training.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstien

"Your problem is low self-esteem. It's very common among losers."

Painkiller
Seasoned Member

Postby Painkiller » Mon May 04, 2009 2:01 am

I don't know about the rest of you, but I think this is an absolute TRAVESTY..... they are just creating a modern version of "Special Constables".
If any of you RCMP members have worked in Ottawa and have run into the EX-Special Constables you know EXACTLY what I am talking about.

Unbelieveable...... just when you thought the brass finally got their heads out of their ass, they pull something like this.......

Painkiller
Painkiller

---------------------
Proud Member of the Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada
Join Now - www.mppac.ca

th
Poobah Overlord

Postby th » Mon May 04, 2009 2:26 am

Painkiller wrote: Unbelieveable......
Really? Is it? We are talking about the RCMP.
You can drink a shy girl crazy, you can drink 'till that good girl sins;
You can even drink an ugly girl pretty, but you can't drink a fat girl thin.

Mark S
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Mark S » Mon May 04, 2009 3:42 pm

I like the idea of not having to do those jobs, but lets start first with having enough stenos to keep the police out of the detachments as much as possible, then we can look at what is done outdoors that doesn't need police.
Welcome to Winnipeg. We were born here, what's your excuse?

gotchya
Poobah Overlord

Postby gotchya » Mon May 04, 2009 4:28 pm

I did some research and found some more info on the program:
Surrey, Langley, Ridge Meadows, Prince George - Media Advisory: New category of RCMP member a first for British Columbia
File # CSO 2008-07-04 15:45 PDT

Community Safety OfficersJuly 4, 2008

For immediate release

A new type of RCMP member will soon be on the streets of four communities across British Columbia. Media are invited to attend the inaugural graduation ceremony of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Community Safety Officer (CSO) pilot program.

CSO's are uniformed members of the RCMP who work closely with regular members in five key areas that includes Community Safety; Crime Prevention; Traffic Support; Community Policing and Investigation Support. They will also provide a unique contribution to our Crime Reduction initiatives in British Columbia.

The CSO program provides participating communities and community clients a better mix of police resources to address their community priorities. They will initially be posted in Surrey, Langley, Maple Ridge and Prince George.

Media will have access to full graduation ceremony including drill march, presentations and speakers and graduates. RCMP Officers will available to the media to answer questions regarding the pilot program and the roles and responsibilities of CSO members.

When: July 5, 2008
1:00 p.m.

Where: Pacific Region Training Centre
1101 Calais Crescent
Chilliwack, British Columbia
Drill Hall Building 1119

Note - When arriving please check into the main entrance to obtain identification

For more information contact "E" Division Media Relations at (604)264-2929.
And the following listing is available on the Federal Government Job listing, it looks similar,but it could be entirely different:
Community Programs Officer
Department Name: Royal Canadian Mounted Police (Civilian Member)
Salary: $50,102 to $53,983 (Classification: SPS-PADM-02)
Closing Date: May 7, 2009 - 23:59, Pacific Time Useful Information
Reference Number: GRM09J-001461-000458
Selection Process Number: 2009-HRMCM-023
Employment Tenure: Permanent - Full Time
Vacancies: 1
They kind of look like MPs with the red thing on their arm.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

Bald Man
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Bald Man » Mon May 04, 2009 4:36 pm

gotchya wrote:I did some research and found some more info on the program:
Surrey, Langley, Ridge Meadows, Prince George - Media Advisory: New category of RCMP member a first for British Columbia
File # CSO 2008-07-04 15:45 PDT

Community Safety OfficersJuly 4, 2008

For immediate release

A new type of RCMP member will soon be on the streets of four communities across British Columbia. Media are invited to attend the inaugural graduation ceremony of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Community Safety Officer (CSO) pilot program.

CSO's are uniformed members of the RCMP who work closely with regular members in five key areas that includes Community Safety; Crime Prevention; Traffic Support; Community Policing and Investigation Support. They will also provide a unique contribution to our Crime Reduction initiatives in British Columbia.

The CSO program provides participating communities and community clients a better mix of police resources to address their community priorities. They will initially be posted in Surrey, Langley, Maple Ridge and Prince George.

Media will have access to full graduation ceremony including drill march, presentations and speakers and graduates. RCMP Officers will available to the media to answer questions regarding the pilot program and the roles and responsibilities of CSO members.

When: July 5, 2008
1:00 p.m.

Where: Pacific Region Training Centre
1101 Calais Crescent
Chilliwack, British Columbia
Drill Hall Building 1119

Note - When arriving please check into the main entrance to obtain identification

For more information contact "E" Division Media Relations at (604)264-2929.
And the following listing is available on the Federal Government Job listing, it looks similar,but it could be entirely different:
Community Programs Officer
Department Name: Royal Canadian Mounted Police (Civilian Member)
Salary: $50,102 to $53,983 (Classification: SPS-PADM-02)
Closing Date: May 7, 2009 - 23:59, Pacific Time Useful Information
Reference Number: GRM09J-001461-000458
Selection Process Number: 2009-HRMCM-023
Employment Tenure: Permanent - Full Time
Vacancies: 1
They kind of look like MPs with the red thing on their arm.

That arm band looks pretty sharp. ;) Didn't the MP's have funny looking arm bands?

My question is, how much time and money are these CSO really going to save? I think it's more to do with a political smoke and mirrors game.

MB_RCMP
Grand Poobah

Postby MB_RCMP » Mon May 04, 2009 10:08 pm

GAY
There's the right way, the wrong way, and the RCMP way - which is usually synonymous with the wrong way, just with more paperwork.

Jim Street
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Mon May 04, 2009 10:10 pm

Wow my God those are gorgeous looking. Very sharp and professional.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Mon May 04, 2009 11:04 pm

That red cover reminds me of the OUT OF SERVICE lightbar covers...

LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

Mark S
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Mark S » Tue May 05, 2009 4:28 am

Red arm bands... where I have seen red arm bands before....

Oh yeah:

And what is the obsession in this country with giving someone all the tools in the world EXCEPT a gun? Either they need to defend themselves or they don't, I don't get the halfway mentality. In this case, I don't see why they'd need any tools, and they're probably safer being completely unarmed.
Welcome to Winnipeg. We were born here, what's your excuse?

Bald Man
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Bald Man » Tue May 05, 2009 9:18 am

Mark S wrote:Red arm bands... where I have seen red arm bands before....

Oh yeah:

And what is the obsession in this country with giving someone all the tools in the world EXCEPT a gun? Either they need to defend themselves or they don't, I don't get the halfway mentality. In this case, I don't see why they'd need any tools, and they're probably safer being completely unarmed.
I agree, either arm them with everything or don't give them any tools.

th
Poobah Overlord

Postby th » Tue May 05, 2009 12:32 pm

The CSOs are basically paid, full-time auxiliaries. In fact, most of the CSOs were hired out of the Auxiliary program.
You can drink a shy girl crazy, you can drink 'till that good girl sins;
You can even drink an ugly girl pretty, but you can't drink a fat girl thin.

el_prez
Grand Poobah

Postby el_prez » Tue May 05, 2009 6:42 pm

Those armbands look like something a two year old would wear when swimming.
"Did someone dial 9-1-holysh*t?!"