Anybody in a Union environment shed some light on this.....

Discussion regarding human resource management.
Borderwatchman
Grand Poobah
Posts: 674
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:54 am
Contact:

Re: Anybody in a Union environment shed some light on this.....

Postby Borderwatchman » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:52 am

The Supreme Court ruled that the Ponies cannot unionize.

User avatar
PHB
King Poobah
Posts: 1838
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:28 am
Location: Cowboy Country
Contact:

Re: Anybody in a Union environment shed some light on this.....

Postby PHB » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:21 am

Borderwatchman wrote:The Supreme Court ruled that the Ponies cannot unionize.


I still don't understand how the RCMP Act over rules the Charter when it comes to this issue. I thought collective bargaining is a fundemental right of the charter.
RCMP Members Email this guy and leave the Legal Fund:

agclarke@istar.ca

For Our Future! http://www.mppac.ca PROUD UPSTART

User avatar
th
Veteran Member
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:50 pm
Location: British Paraguay
Contact:

Re: Anybody in a Union environment shed some light on this.....

Postby th » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:44 pm

IrishCanadian wrote:
PHB wrote:
Borderwatchman wrote:The Supreme Court ruled that the Ponies cannot unionize.


I still don't understand how the RCMP Act over rules the Charter when it comes to this issue. I thought collective bargaining is a fundemental right of the charter.


As in the freedom of association would be what would grant people protection for that?

I dont think so... i dont beleive the right to strike is protected under the charter.. more the activity that normally constitues a strike is protected as long as it's lawful to do by yourself as well.
The right to strike and the right to organize are not the same thing. There are lots of unions in this country that don't have the right to strike, like say, all the other police unions.

Based on a fast skim of the case where the SCC ruled against an RCMP union, the court stated that banning a union was a reasonable limit on the constitutional right to organize because there is a section in the RCMP Act that says that management has to be nice to the members. Pretty lame if you ask me. That being said, that case was ruled on ten years ago and only one of the justices that sat on that case are still on the bench. Methinks its time to revisit the issue.
:wave:

Borderwatchman
Grand Poobah
Posts: 674
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:54 am
Contact:

Re: Anybody in a Union environment shed some light on this.....

Postby Borderwatchman » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:49 pm

The RCMP has its own internal, unofficial "union", I believe. But as the other posts say, the SCC ruled that it was a reasonable infringement on their right to associate/freedom of membership rights in order for the greater good.

User avatar
th
Veteran Member
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:50 pm
Location: British Paraguay
Contact:

Re: Anybody in a Union environment shed some light on this.....

Postby th » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:07 pm

Borderwatchman wrote:The RCMP has its own internal, unofficial "union", I believe. But as the other posts say, the SCC ruled that it was a reasonable infringement on their right to associate/freedom of membership rights in order for the greater good.
There is no "internal unofficial union." By the way, what greater good would that be?
:wave:

User avatar
dataec
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 2630
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Anybody in a Union environment shed some light on this.....

Postby dataec » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:20 pm

th wrote:
Borderwatchman wrote:The RCMP has its own internal, unofficial "union", I believe. But as the other posts say, the SCC ruled that it was a reasonable infringement on their right to associate/freedom of membership rights in order for the greater good.
There is no "internal unofficial union." By the way, what greater good would that be?


...this should be good!

I don't know the first thing about it (SCC), but.....Members of the RCMP are, obviously allowed to have, and belong to Associations - they are already in 3 Provinces. Why are people fighting so hard for something they can have already?

To me it would seem logical to either expand on the ones currently formed or move to "something" else and get on with it.

I've heard people say "Management does NOT recognize them!"

really? .......there are a few who would disagree.

The current system offers absolutely ZERO protection and/or realistic remedies to being fucked over....it's got to go.

...if you're not convinced, go read the callforbackup.ca site and read it.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest