Brown Report

Discussion regarding human resource management.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Wildbore
Rookie Member

Re: Brown Report

Postby Wildbore » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:44 pm

SierraSeven wrote:I thought it was an interesting point as well regarding the increase in education requirements considering, as warden states above, that they have a considerably difficult time attracting enough recruits as it is. Although I do believe that, coupled with paying recruits, this strategy could attract enough recruits. Other than for future promotion though, I don't really see the need for post-secondary education; other than perhaps life experience. I don't see how incredibly useful my software engineering degree will be on the line... however if I move up the ranks I could see it being useful..
If you actually read the point, it said in the LONG TERM they should increase the requirements to that of a degree.

Obviously they've taken it into consideration that current recruitment is difficult, thats why they put LONG TERM in the sentence.

I think its a great idea. We don't want to keep getting outmatched by the FBI, Secret Service, etc..., who do require degrees and other specialized skills. I also like the promotion based on knowledge and skills. Finally the people who actually are making the biggest contribution are the ones who will find themselves moving up, instead of the lazy useless people who just move up because of their "seniority".

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:01 pm

I think its a great idea. We don't want to keep getting outmatched by the FBI, Secret Service
You lost me... The RCMP is getting "outmatched" by the FBI? How so?

CO

bunnel
King Poobah

Postby bunnel » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:58 pm

Wildbore wrote:We don't want to keep getting outmatched by the FBI, Secret Service, etc...
:rolllaugh:

dira necessitas
Poobah Overlord

Postby dira necessitas » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:08 pm

Wildbore wrote:We don't want to keep getting outmatched by the FBI, Secret Service, etc...
Someone needs to watch a little less TV and a little more reality
I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but let's take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

CDM
Rookie Member

Postby CDM » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:18 pm

The Brown report means nothing, upper management will not do a thing

Dogsitter
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Dogsitter » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:14 pm

Funny to review this a few years after the fact. Only four recommendations were ever implemented and one of those(CMT) has since been disbanded. What a flop.
"Criminals thrive on the indulgence of society's understanding."

dataec
Poobah Overlord

Postby dataec » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:33 am

...not for all of those that got promoted "trying" to make the changes.

PHB
Poobah Overlord

Postby PHB » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:25 pm

CDM wrote:The Brown report means nothing, upper management will not do a thing
And exactly what has happened? Nothing other than paying cadets and the now defunct change management team.
RCMP Members Email this guy and leave the Legal Fund:

agclarke@istar.ca

For Our Future! http://www.mppac.ca PROUD UPSTART

dataec
Poobah Overlord

Postby dataec » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:26 am

dataec wrote:...not for all of those that got promoted "trying" to make the changes.
Check out the ones on the list from then and check where they are now ......almost all got promoted.

Painkiller
Seasoned Member

Postby Painkiller » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:57 am

CDM wrote:The Brown report means nothing, upper management will not do a thing
To quote a very good friend of mine......
"The current problem within the Force stems from one simple fact...... Nobody in management cares......... About ANYTHING!. The only thing that THEY ARE interested in is to climb as FAST and as HIGH as they can before they 'punch out'. And that's what our main problem is."

Until we actually get some people in management who have done FRONTLINE policing (for those of you on this site that are "White Shirts" I have some disappointing news for you..... The fact that you were an Inspector in G.D. in the Lower Mainland..... Does NOT CUT IT!) within the last 4-5 years and that actually care about the kit, clothing and crap policies we are using, we will continue our current "nosedive". I actually think that if this economy improves in the next year or two you will see many members that are University educated and that have less than 6-8 years of service bailing on this outfit.

Painkiller
Painkiller

---------------------
Proud Member of the Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada
Join Now - www.mppac.ca

Regular Guy
Sage Member

Postby Regular Guy » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:40 am

Last edited by Regular Guy on Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

dataec
Poobah Overlord

Postby dataec » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:15 am

Good question. Probably, as a general rule but I think/hope times are changing.

The thing is that rcmp mgt have had years to make changes and the bottom line is that they haven't happened. I think the time for reviews, studies, committees, recommendations, etc is over. Something binding needs to be put in place.

dataec
Poobah Overlord

Postby dataec » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:30 am

Painkiller wrote:...
To quote a very good friend of mine......
"The current problem within the Force stems from one simple fact...... Nobody in management cares......... About ANYTHING!. The only thing that THEY ARE interested in is to climb as FAST and as HIGH as they can before they 'punch out'. And that's what our main problem is."
It sure seems like that most days.