Red Bull

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Sun May 28, 2006 6:10 pm

wannaBE_PC wrote:I've worked many different shift combinations, but 4 on and 4 off rotating 12hr shifts is by far the best. You can plan you entire year very simply and if you take 4 days of vacation, you really get 12.

I do that with my 6 days off after nights..throw in some stats and I have a few weeks holidays without touching my annual leave. It works well.

tooscoops
Rookie Member

Postby tooscoops » Sun May 28, 2006 7:40 pm

CO are you a big coffee or tea drinker as well?

I have about 2 coffees a day, and have been leary about going back to cycle some ephedrine because of it. I never reacted badly to ephedrine before, but i was also not drinking coffee regularily (not that 2 a day is a lot).

:D
The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights. ~Muhammad Ali~

http://www.copshopcanada.ca/

Jib
Seasoned Member

Postby Jib » Sun May 28, 2006 10:02 pm

JBIbanez wrote:
Gerg wrote:
JBIbanez wrote:Using caffeine once in awhile to get yourself alert is ok, but if it's going to be an everyday type of thing beware of developing a caffeine allergy.

I used to get tired all the time so I started consuming that Mountain Dew Energy drink along with between 5 and 8 XL coffee per day. It worked great for the first couple of weeks until I started feeling tired again and depressed some days and overly joyed other days. To make a long story short I thought I was becoming bi-polar so I booked an appointment with a psychiatrist. My caffeine consumption came out and she decided that before putting me on meds that I should try to slowly decrease my caffeine consumption. So I did just that I now I hardly even drink coffee. I managed to switch myself over to herbal tea. Now I'm back to normal and happier than ever.

For more information go here:
http://www.doctoryourself.com/caffeine_allergy.html

I thought that most tea contained more caffine than regular coffee?

No, they contain about half the caffeine that coffee does and green tea is quite high in caffeine. I drink herbal teas that do not have caffeine in them.

Green tea contains less caffeine than coffee: there are approximately thirty to sixty mg. of caffeine in six - eight ounces of tea, compared to over one-hundred mg. in eight ounces of coffee. Green tea contains less caffeine than regular tea. At least that's what it says on the side of my green tea carton.
dura lex sed lex

Red_Rose
Rookie Member

Postby Red_Rose » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:35 pm

Stay up extremely late the night before the graveyard shift, and sleep in late into the next evening. The energy drinks help to some extent. I've tried them. A few hours later into the night shift, I was prepared to pass out with exhaustion. Experienced something similar to an adrenaline rush with the energy drink earlier, yes, but it only lasted for a short period of time. I was later ready to fall asleep on my feet.
"Justice will exist when both parties admit their faults..."

SHAMROCK
Veteran Member

Postby SHAMROCK » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:07 am

Iman,

I find coffee and is good enough for me to get me through my 12 shifts. My suggestion would be to exeriment with a couple of different options.

I have tried RedBull before and it made me sick to my stomach so that was out of the question for me. I like CO have used a 200mg caffeine pill (before a workout and I was going to use them on shift) however I find that the pills make me really jittery...I really found that the constaant chattering of my teeth and gloosy eyes and shaking of my body while I was using caffine pills really got me some interesting looks at the gym... :oops:

So thats why I started drinking coffee again I find it gives me the boost I need during shift with out the side effects (in me anyways) of caffine pills. Just experiment to see which is best for you.

fjacky
Rookie Member

Postby fjacky » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:18 am

WorkingOnIt wrote:I sometimes have to stay up mighty late - and pull all-nighters. I know I'm not an officer, and I don't know how practical it is for you, but when I start getting the head bobs, I get up, and walk up and down the stairs a few times, get some fresh air, do some squats, and stretch.

I personally find, the only way to liven myself up is to get the blood flowing...

Good luck to you.

This helps me too, but sometimes I just sit back and close my eyes for 10-15 minutes. This little cat nap does wonders. I've even have to do this the odd time half way through my drive home.
!!!2008!!!

goaliegibson

What I do...

Postby goaliegibson » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:12 pm

I know I'm just a student but I've pulled plenty of all nighters and what I find works the best is snacks. When I start getting tired I just snack on some nuts, a granola bar and some juice. Every once in a while when I'm really tired at work I'll grab an energy drink but I find it's more psychological and not worth the 3 bucks a can they cost! Also when something gets so boring that I'm getting tired I take a quick break, walk around, stretch and get back into it. hope this helps in some way.

CustomsGrrl

Postby CustomsGrrl » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:42 am

I used to suck back the coffee, but I have found fruit works much better.

I eat an orange or some berries around 03:30 or 04:00 and it keeps me going until about 08:30.

I like green tea, but more for the flavour then anything.

For anyone wishing to lose a pound or two, I have been drinking Arizona Diet Blueberry Iced Green Tea. And man o man, it takes the appetite anyway. But it doesn't give me a cup of joe kick.

Tracey
Rookie Member

Postby Tracey » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:52 pm

CustomsGrrl wrote:For anyone wishing to lose a pound or two, I have been drinking Arizona Diet Blueberry Iced Green Tea.
If all you're after is a pound or two, just eat a bran muffin, grab a magazine and wait for the magic to happen.

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:11 am

Tracey wrote:
CustomsGrrl wrote:For anyone wishing to lose a pound or two, I have been drinking Arizona Diet Blueberry Iced Green Tea.
If all you're after is a pound or two, just eat a bran muffin, grab a magazine and wait for the magic to happen.

A bowl of bran staight up does the trick...... my wife hates when I eat that stuff. :D

dira necessitas
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby dira necessitas » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:51 am

Bran?.....pffffft.... go with a bucket full of pickled eggs....sure to be a crowd pleaser.

:twisted:

Westcoast
Rookie Member

Postby Westcoast » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:03 am

OK folks, for those of you wishing to take this topic in that direction I suggest:
http://forum.blueline.ca/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0

:twisted:

I enjoy coffee, no sugar, one cream. It's an addiction that has been carried over from late nights spent studying and writing papers during college.

W
animus opibusque parati

Starsky

Postby Starsky » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:19 pm

Ice water does the same for me as any of this other crap does. It's better for you too ;)

TimeToGoTactical

Postby TimeToGoTactical » Wed May 16, 2007 2:55 pm

on my 12's i find a cup of green tea hits the spot at the 8-9 hour mark. Theres this really good Nestea lemon green tea with ginseng that i enjoy. i smalll tin is like 2.50. I find it it alerts my senses and gets my brain back on track.
Oh NO 5-0!

dmiles
Sage Member

Postby dmiles » Thu May 17, 2007 4:07 am

red bull is great with vodka... 8)
"the public is here for our amusement"