Red Bull

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
lmanRLPM
Rookie Member

Red Bull

Postby lmanRLPM » Thu May 25, 2006 10:22 am

Hi , Just wanted to get some advice, I work 2 days 2 nights 4 off 12 hour shifts. I find that when I start my night shifts that around 3 or 4 in the morning, I hit the wall and start to get very tired. I am sitting at the computer inputing my reports for the night and find myself typing some jibberish stuff bobing head back and forth...I get enough sleep but I heard
about Red Bull or the energize drinks out there that pick you up so to speak. Would they work if I drank one of those in the early morning as I drive 1hr to work as well and don't want to end up a little mark on the wall so to speak. Not sure if anyone else has tried the drink and if so can you get to sleep when you get home. Any advice is appreciated.
Our lives are inspired by the dreams we have from the earliest stages of our youth. When you combine passion and hard work, then success is always possible. While no road is ever straight,dedication and persistence will always lead you to your dreams.

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Thu May 25, 2006 10:48 am

I sometimes have to stay up mighty late - and pull all-nighters. I know I'm not an officer, and I don't know how practical it is for you, but when I start getting the head bobs, I get up, and walk up and down the stairs a few times, get some fresh air, do some squats, and stretch.

I personally find, the only way to liven myself up is to get the blood flowing...

Good luck to you.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Thu May 25, 2006 11:38 am

Caffeine stimulation is effective in the form of supplements, red bull, coffee, etc... However, you'll find that your body will become accustomed to it and it will either become less effective or require more to be as effective. I take a 200mg caffeine pill three times a day with my ephedrine and aspirin, which in the beginning is a decent jolt, but in less than a week, it has little effect. I try to go off an on every couple days to keep the body guessing.

CO

smitty44
Seasoned Member

Re: Red Bull

Postby smitty44 » Thu May 25, 2006 11:49 am

lmanRLPM wrote:Hi , Just wanted to get some advice, I work 2 days 2 nights 4 off 12 hour shifts. I find that when I start my night shifts that around 3 or 4 in the morning, I hit the wall and start to get very tired. I am sitting at the computer inputing my reports for the night and find myself typing some jibberish stuff bobing head back and forth...I get enough sleep but I heard
about Red Bull or the energize drinks out there that pick you up so to speak. Would they work if I drank one of those in the early morning as I drive 1hr to work as well and don't want to end up a little mark on the wall so to speak. Not sure if anyone else has tried the drink and if so can you get to sleep when you get home. Any advice is appreciated.

I am the same way on my night shifts..12 hours....at about 4-5 am..I crack one of the Red's open and it helps...revives ya...gets me to the end of the shift and home, which I drive an hour...try it man...let us know what you think....

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Thu May 25, 2006 12:40 pm

Caffeine will do only so much. Worse thing is you'll crash even harder. I've found that drinking water is the best thing for me. Keeps me hydrated and alert. Workingonit's advice about getting up and moving around is a very good idea as well.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

lmanRLPM
Rookie Member

Postby lmanRLPM » Thu May 25, 2006 12:51 pm

I am usually starting to slow my shift down around 4-5 am when I head into the office and work on my reports. I get the sleep its just when I am sitting in front of the computer I get tired and thought it may help. I get off at 7am and then I drive home which takes an hour...I am hoping if I take the drink around 4 or 5 get the pick up to get by before I go home. I have heard you can get addicted to the drink. If drinking tea works perhaps I will take that route as well...I guess I won't know until I try it right. Next night rotation I will give it a try.
Our lives are inspired by the dreams we have from the earliest stages of our youth. When you combine passion and hard work, then success is always possible. While no road is ever straight,dedication and persistence will always lead you to your dreams.

Haweater
Seasoned Member

Postby Haweater » Thu May 25, 2006 2:02 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:Caffeine stimulation is effective in the form of supplements, red bull, coffee, etc... However, you'll find that your body will become accustomed to it and it will either become less effective or require more to be as effective. I take a 200mg caffeine pill three times a day with my ephedrine and aspirin, which in the beginning is a decent jolt, but in less than a week, it has little effect. I try to go off an on every couple days to keep the body guessing.

CO

You must have the heart rate of a hummingbird :shock:

Gerg
Rookie Member

Postby Gerg » Thu May 25, 2006 3:05 pm

JBIbanez wrote:Using caffeine once in awhile to get yourself alert is ok, but if it's going to be an everyday type of thing beware of developing a caffeine allergy.

I used to get tired all the time so I started consuming that Mountain Dew Energy drink along with between 5 and 8 XL coffee per day. It worked great for the first couple of weeks until I started feeling tired again and depressed some days and overly joyed other days. To make a long story short I thought I was becoming bi-polar so I booked an appointment with a psychiatrist. My caffeine consumption came out and she decided that before putting me on meds that I should try to slowly decrease my caffeine consumption. So I did just that I now I hardly even drink coffee. I managed to switch myself over to herbal tea. Now I'm back to normal and happier than ever.

For more information go here:
http://www.doctoryourself.com/caffeine_allergy.html

I thought that most tea contained more caffine than regular coffee?
Failure; Sometimes the meaning of life is to serve as a warning for others......

Recon
Rookie Member

kl

Postby Recon » Thu May 25, 2006 3:27 pm

You drink Herbal tea, with no caffine and you want to drink that "energy crap" good luck!

I found when I mixed it with vodka it was pretty good! (on tours, those of you that have been there know what I'm talking about!)

Hey CO, like Haweater said about your heart rate, how do you find time to talk on the computer, without having to run around? LOL
Why walk when you can ride!

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Thu May 25, 2006 5:07 pm

Haweater wrote:
CourtOfficer wrote:Caffeine stimulation is effective in the form of supplements, red bull, coffee, etc... However, you'll find that your body will become accustomed to it and it will either become less effective or require more to be as effective. I take a 200mg caffeine pill three times a day with my ephedrine and aspirin, which in the beginning is a decent jolt, but in less than a week, it has little effect. I try to go off an on every couple days to keep the body guessing.

CO

You must have the heart rate of a hummingbird :shock:

Oh man... If you said that about anyone but me I'd have such a great burn to post! :P What's wrong with you people? A post discussing someone's anatomy and a hummingbird? It doesn't get any easier!

CO

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Fri May 26, 2006 8:45 am

You guys and your "uppers". I'm not a doctor but, you should be careful taking ephedrine escpecially mixed with caffeine and other stimulants. I know most guys don't want to here it but, people have died taking this crap. This stuff can really spike your heart rate and blood pressure. Eat properly,exercise.When you start to get tired, get up and walk around and get some fresh air. Trying splashing cold water on your face as well.

veritas_aequitas
Rookie Member

Postby veritas_aequitas » Fri May 26, 2006 5:38 pm

I have to agree with you BaldMan.

I've found that when doing surveillance (though not relevant to the initial question) you can't always get out and stretch. That said, drinking coffee, caffinated drinks or water can create problems too...

I've actually found that a few apples and/or oranges with you on a long stretch eaten at 3 hour intervals with keep you awake very well. Combine that with a heathly meal at some point (if possible) and a limited amount of water and you're set!
va

Let the tard pass. ~ Jason Barr

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Fri May 26, 2006 6:08 pm

wannaBE_PC wrote:I have to agree with you BaldMan.

I've found that when doing surveillance (though not relevant to the initial question) you can't always get out and stretch. That said, drinking coffee, caffinated drinks or water can create problems too...

I've actually found that a few apples and/or oranges with you on a long stretch eaten at 3 hour intervals with keep you awake very well. Combine that with a heathly meal at some point (if possible) and a limited amount of water and you're set!

Yup, I work shift work so I know it can be hard. I work a 35 day schedule which is 4 afternoon shifts - 2 days off - 3 day shifts - 2 days off - 3 afternoon shifts - 2 days off - 4 day shifts - 2 days off - 7 nights - 6 days off - starts over.......

It's a better schedule than our patrol guys as far as I'm concerned. You work your nights all in one shot where as our patrol guys work 7 nights but they are split up. At the end of their nights they only have 3 days off then it's back on days for them. The only reason why patrol prefers the 42 day schedule is because they get every 2nd weekend off where as we don't on the 35. I guess there is pros and cons to all shifts.

Like I said I eat properly, exercise regularly (weights and cardio) and get as much sleep as possible. This seems to help me pull through.

veritas_aequitas
Rookie Member

Postby veritas_aequitas » Sun May 28, 2006 8:39 am

I've worked many different shift combinations, but 4 on and 4 off rotating 12hr shifts is by far the best. You can plan you entire year very simply and if you take 4 days of vacation, you really get 12.
va

Let the tard pass. ~ Jason Barr