Shoulder issues

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
Matt_YRP
Rookie Member

Shoulder issues

Postby Matt_YRP » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:52 pm

Hello all

I have a question on building your shoulders up. It seems to be my weak area. I've gone up on all work outs, chest, back, arms, legs, but when I get to my shoulders I find I struggle a bit more.

Just wondering if anyone has any good shoulder routines that have helped them build them up more? Would certainly appreciate any good tips.

Thanks

MC07
Rookie Member

Re: Shoulder issues

Postby MC07 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:02 pm

I've had improved results with overhead barbell press and lateral raises.

Matt_YRP
Rookie Member

Postby Matt_YRP » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:14 pm

MC07 wrote:I've had improved results with overhead barbell press and lateral raises.

Thanks for the reply. I will give it a shot. I guess we all have that one area where it just takes a little more time to improve.

Tanks again.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:48 pm

I like Arnold Presses. Hits the shoulders several ways. Kettlebell thrusters are also fantastic. Exhausting, but fantastic.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

Matt_YRP
Rookie Member

Postby Matt_YRP » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:15 pm

devilwoman wrote:I like Arnold Presses. Hits the shoulders several ways. Kettlebell thrusters are also fantastic. Exhausting, but fantastic.

Thanks for the reply Devilwoman. Looked up the Kettlebell thrusters. I can see why it would be exhausting. Looks like it works the legs pretty good too.

Ducatiram
Rookie Member

Postby Ducatiram » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:19 pm

I've been doing a few programs on bodybuilding.

Kris gethins four weeks to shred is okay. His twelve week muscle building program is great. Changes every week keeps the muscle memory out of it..
Right now I'm doing Von Moger 6 week bodybuiling program. I like to rotate the three programs... changes things up.. My shoulders have gotten quite a bit stronger.. I had a hard time with 60's with dumbbell shoulder press less than a year ago now I'm going 80-90s, and in total I've gained about 40 lbs within the last year. I've noticed large gains in all areas.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:26 pm

Thrusters, any kettlebell work really, are great for legs, cardio and core. The "awkward" weight of the bell tasks your muscles in ways regular weights won't.

I do traditional weights (squats, benching, etc.), kettlebell and body weight work as part of my training. Each have benefits, I find, and by incorporating all into my fitness, my body is kept guessing and I get a better all round fitness level. I do like to use the Insanity workouts as well. Just to change it up.

For me, by training in all these areas, it makes it easier for me to maintain my fitness on vacation or when I go away for courses, as I'm not limited to only one way.

My favourite exercises, though, are barbell squats, benches, back extensions, shoulder presses, kettlebell swings, kettlebell snatches, push-ups, pull-ups, and shadow boxing with light hand weights.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

Matt_YRP
Rookie Member

Postby Matt_YRP » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:29 pm

Ducatiram wrote:I've been doing a few programs on bodybuilding.

Kris gethins four weeks to shred is okay. His twelve week muscle building program is great. Changes every week keeps the muscle memory out of it..
Right now I'm doing Von Moger 6 week bodybuiling program. I like to rotate the three programs... changes things up.. My shoulders have gotten quite a bit stronger.. I had a hard time with 60's with dumbbell shoulder press less than a year ago now I'm going 80-90s, and in total I've gained about 40 lbs within the last year. I've noticed large gains in all areas.

I follow some of Kris Gethin's stuff as well. He's a pretty intense guy when it comes to working out. Try his DTP program for chest, and back. It's extremely hard. He has his own youtube channel as well. Some pretty interesting videos.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:54 pm

When you say you struggle with shoulder presses, what do you actually mean? They can not go up as fast as some other lifts as they are a smaller muscle group.
K division.

John014
Seasoned Member

Postby John014 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:31 am

Start light and work up resistance to fatigue. If the shoulders are weak I would stay away from heavy weights.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer