Achilles tendon rupture

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
bcd
Rookie Member

Achilles tendon rupture

Postby bcd » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:05 am

I ruptured my achilles tendon a few weeks ago while training for the PARE and had surgery 2 days after. Now I'm stuck in a removable cast for a few more weeks before I can start physio.

It's a frustrating setback, especially as it occurred only one week before I was schedule to do the test. I felt like my application was building momentum and was excited to hammer the PARE and move on to the next step.

Does anyone have personal experience with this type of injury? Any tips on how to recover as quickly as possible? The average recovery period is 6-9 months, and if I am on the low end of that there's a chance they (CBSA) won't drop me from the system and make me reapply.

Also if anyone can recommend a physiotherapist in the Vancouver area that they trust I would appreciate it. PM if you prefer. From what I've read the fastest recovery protocols walk a fine line between forcing your body to heal faster and re-injury, so I think having the right physiotherapist will be important.

Thanks!

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Re: Achilles tendon rupture

Postby GoodWitness » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:24 am

Ouch! My brother in law did that a few years back, playing soccer. Your case sounds different than his, I recall him being in a cast for a very long time, and being on crutches for quite a while after it came off - something like three months. He was in his mid thirties at the time and did have a complete recovery but doesn't play soccer any more.

Good luck with your recovery.

CrispyBacon
Rookie Member

Postby CrispyBacon » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:32 pm

Take things slow! Even when it starts to feel better, make sure you don't "test" it too much.
I broke a toe and tore something in my foot. It took almost a year before it felt as stable/strong as before.

bcd
Rookie Member

Postby bcd » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:40 pm

Yeah I will try to not push it too much. It's tempting even now with the aircast to walk too much and go back to work full time, but it's probably still pretty fragile at this stage.