Where fore art thou My Motivation???

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Re: Where fore art thou My Motivation???

Postby basketcase » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:07 pm

devilwoman wrote:
Last night I went out to Wild Wing to treat myself after hockey and felt like shit.

Well that was your problem right there....terrible wings.

Didn't have the wings. I go there for the beer and the friendly service.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

CrispyBacon
Rookie Member

Postby CrispyBacon » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:12 pm

Do you guys prefer working out first thing in the morning or before work? Or later on in the day?

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:23 pm

CrispyBacon wrote:Do you guys prefer working out first thing in the morning or before work? Or later on in the day?

Whenever I have time. Usually in the afternoon on a day off or a night shift. Evening after a day shift. Seems to be the norm. I'm not about getting up at 4AM for a workout when I have to be at work for 6AM.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

rntacp
Rookie Member

Postby rntacp » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:32 pm

opp2 wrote:sorry I may sound like I'm whining, I hope not.

Not at all, I feel your pain. 3 kids, 2 work schedules and activities every week day except Friday's. It can make it difficult to keep motivated at times. I know you're pretty big into crossfit (as am I) but I've been giving the P90X3 a whirl for about 3 weeks now. I needed to switch things up a bit and it was just what I needed. I'm used to the intensity level and the 30 minute workouts are great when you're strapped for time and when I have the time I double them up. I'm not sure if you've tried them but you'd probably like them. Some of them require zero equipment and are great for the older kids to join in on. My oldest likes to partake in the plyo/agility type, helps with his soccer.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:24 pm

^ Insanity Focus T25 and Max30 are great too. I have both. Use them more when the better half is sleeping on shift and using the rower or treadmill isn't an option. Lots of plyo and bodyweight work....I enjoy it. T25 is only 25 mins long, Max30....well is 30 mins long. Lol

How is the shorter version of P90x? I enjoyed the original but the length of workout was just too much. Some of the exercises he threw in the plyo seemed like filler to ramp up the time and, in all honesty, useless and stupid looking (ie rockstar jumps).

As for when I workout....after day shifts, before nights and on days off usually mid afternoon. Sometimes early evening. On my days off I try to avoid being on a schedule, as when I work I'm on a pretty set one before and after shift. I find that helps my days off feel like days off.

I tend to program my workouts on my days off to be the "hard" ones. When I workout on my workdays, they are a bit easier as I tend to have less energy and less time (need my beauty sleep). My work schedule has one week where I work 5 12s and the other week I work 2 12s. On the 5 day week, I only do 4 workouts a week and do 5 on the 2 day week. In the summer, I worked 11 days straight (ot yay) and still fit in 9 workouts. I then slept. Like a bear. :mrgreen:
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

rntacp
Rookie Member

Postby rntacp » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:26 am

devilwoman wrote:How is the shorter version of P90x? I enjoyed the original but the length of workout was just too much. Some of the exercises he threw in the plyo seemed like filler to ramp up the time and, in all honesty, useless and stupid looking (ie rockstar jumps).

The X3 version is great, you'd like it right up your alley. That was my biggest gripe about the original. Workouts had some needless filler and went to long for my liking. This version gets right to er and wastes no time. It's been great to put down the weights and do some of the things I should of been spending more time on. Some of the movements are super tough and challenging. I look like a bull in a China shop, so I know it's working.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:19 pm

Lol. I feel the same way about some of the movements in T25......rhythm is definitely not my strong suit.

I like the suicide drills, burpees, mountain climbers, etc.. It's old school, but it works. I'd have to say, plyo is probably my favourite, with the high intensity cardio as a close second. It's a nice change from KB work and such. Some days, my body is too damn sore from pull-ups, rowing, kb swings/snatches/presses/etc, pushups, to do another day of it. I'm starting to need to add in more foam rolling and mobility work.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

Longarm9
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Longarm9 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:30 am

opp2 wrote:Are you lost forever ??? O woe is me, and about to be fat and lazy lump is me :-)

I can definitely relate. My problem is I pretty much hate "exercising." Not that I hate physically demanding activity, because I love things like hiking, climbing mountains, cycling, use of force training, etc. just that I hate going to gyms and running on treadmills and the like.

I've resolved to bike to work every day for the rest of the summer, so hopefully I manage that and we'll see if there's some improvement.

I'm very blessed in that I'm naturally a fairly slender fellow. ^.^;
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill

ODIN
Veteran Member

Postby ODIN » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:18 pm

The problem with most people is that they focus 80% of their energy into the gym and working out for weight loss and 20% into nutrution. It needs to be the other way around. the easiest 10-12 hours a week will be the gym, the other hours its all nutrition. Stop eating crap, if it comes from a bag or a box its not food. You dont need radical diets, you need to eat sensibly and moderatley, fruits and lots of veg. Also stay away from that BS Canada food guide. Your food intake should be 80% green , 20% carb and 20% protien on your plate. Proper portion size is another issue. I see people every day bitching they cannot lose weight while their drink there slushy. I see convitcs lifting weights and getting fit while the members I work with turn into gelatinous humps. Personal Pride and Safety should be your motivation. One bad meal does not make you fat and one good does not make you skinny. If it took 5 years of junk to get fat, then its gonna take a bit to get off. Its like compound interest, 3lbs a month is 36lbs in a year, slow and steady, patience wins this race.
CTP-22