HITT

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
soorma
Rookie Member

HITT

Postby soorma » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:50 am

Hi everyone,

I would like to add some HITT into my exercise routine. I know many people criticize the treadmill. However, is HITT better on a treadmill?

Or should I just run outside on the soccer field from one goal line to the other goal line and then jog back for another rep?

Also, how many hard intervals should I have per session? I plan to start with a 10 minute warm up jog then start HITT.

Last question is I am currently doing speedplay on Monday and Thursday over 4.0 miles. Then Friday doing HITT on treadmill (5 mins warm up then sprint for 1 minute rest for 1 minute). I was thinking of adding 2 more HITT sessions on Tuesday and Wednesday. Is 5 days of this routine good or too little?

Plan:
Monday - 4.0 miles speedplay
Tuesday - HITT
Wednesday - HITT
Thursday 4.0 miles speedplay
Friday - HITT
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - Rest

My goal is to improve my score on the PARE test.

Luke101
Rookie Member

Re: HITT

Postby Luke101 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:53 pm

I run the PARE all the time; I like to keep track of how much fitness I've lost since Depot. I want to keep my time under the 3:00 mark.

If all you care about is your PARE score, anything that pushes you hard and changes things up will help. HIIT is fine. Outdoor training is better than the treadmill, but whatever works for you and keeps you exercising is fine.

But you should want overall fitness; cardio, strength, endurance, intervals, strong physio for any injuries you may have so nothing fails on your halfway through training. I'd worry less about the PARE and more about your overall fitness and health. If you're training hard to get stronger and faster, the PARE score will improve naturally. I don't see any weight training in your schedule, and that could hurt.

I know I'm hammering this point, but it's worth it. Remember the overall goal; Get through training, and to get ready for the field so you can go home every day.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

RCMP Constable

soorma
Rookie Member

Postby soorma » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:25 pm

Thanks for your advice guys. For resistance training, I follow the starting strength program. My main goal is to lower my PARE score. I did 4:07 the first time without any penalities. I didn't feel tired after the test and that's my biggest challenge. How to push myself harder. So maybe I should head outside also for HITT. If you guys could PM links for useful sites that work for you that would be good. I plan to use a soccer field and run hard one way and jog back the other way. 10 intervals I think. Is that okay? How many times in a week?
@Luke: did you have many people in your class with PARE scores above 4:00 minutes but easily meeting the required standard when graduation came along? Also, are you able to PM how you prepared for the PARE especially when initially applying to the RCMP?

Thanks again.

Gearhead77
Rookie Member

Postby Gearhead77 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:09 am

The HIIT I have been doing with good results is all on a treadmill.

1 minute at 6.5 mph
1 minute at 8mph
1 minute at 11mph
drop and do 30 pushups (10 wide stance, 10 on my knuckles with elbows in, final 10 being diamond push-ups)
Repeat with no rest time until you've been doing this 20 to 25 minutes

I use that as my warmup and continue onto heavy weights after.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:29 am

Try SMIT too. Work/rest ratio of 1:3. So say 30 seconds full out with 90 seconds of rest.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

cplhick1968
Rookie Member

Postby cplhick1968 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:36 am

I found this site very helpful when i was training for my PARE test

http://rlconditioning.blogspot.ca/2011/08/training-for-rcmp-pare-test-part-1.html