Martial arts

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
soorma
Rookie Member

Martial arts

Postby soorma » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:55 pm

Hi,

Is martial arts training helpful for law enforcement officials? I'm thinking more on the lines to help stay in shape and also have backup tools for defense. If there any current LEO's in martial arts, can you please tell me which style is useful?

Tango5
Rookie Member

Re: Martial arts

Postby Tango5 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:57 pm

soorma wrote:Hi,

Is martial arts training helpful for law enforcement officials? I'm thinking more on the lines to help stay in shape and also have backup tools for defense. If there any current LEO's in martial arts, can you please tell me which style is useful?

I am not into martial arts just to say... However, is it helpful?

Anything is helpful if it gets you to go home at the end of the day.
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

scott90
Rookie Member

Postby scott90 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:05 pm

I've done Jiu-Jitsu for about 15 years. Japanse Jiu-Jitsu, not Brazilian... I prefer to avoid having to roll around on the ground. I definitely think it helps, most types of martial arts do if only for the fact that they keep you disciplined and fit. And just like you said...anything to keep you going home to your family. I might be biased but I find Jiu-Jitsu is a pretty good one for law enforcement. A lot of the techniques are similar to.the pain compliance taught in DT, plus it is very versatile so you have many options for a given situation.

Harbinger30
Rookie Member

Postby Harbinger30 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:24 am

I studied Aikido for several years. It's a Japanese art of self defence. The idea behind it is to control aggression without causing injury. Every member of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police has Aikido training, and I've used it a lot in my career with great success.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:38 am

Better learn how to brawl and street fight.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

Cake
Rookie Member

Postby Cake » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:01 am

I was wondering the same thing. I wanted to take a martial arts course while I study.

I was considering Boxing but since I have a judo background, I can see tha advantages. :boxer:
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda

BROVO26

Postby BROVO26 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:15 am

A.T.R. wrote:Better learn how to brawl and street fight.

I 100% agree, I have been involved in martial arts for over 30 years. Anything is better than nothing, but, a well trained brawler can fight on his back, side and in close quarters.
It's not if you win or lose, but how you place the blame.

soorma
Rookie Member

Postby soorma » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:51 am

I'm just wondering... how does martial arts actually keep you fit? I imagine you show up for class and practice techniques and spar... what else goes on in the average class?

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:21 pm

From my experience, if you show up for martial arts class... then you're also going to have a good gym workout too.

Stretching and warmup cardio before class. It's also a cardio workout during class (IE: striking pads or grappling for MMA).
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

midge
Rookie Member

Postby midge » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:06 am

My martial arts classes are definitely a tough workout. Lots of cardio, plyometrics and calisthenics. As a general rule, I don't train MA for work purposes - it's a hobby and a way to stay in shape. But if something from my MA training subconsciously becomes useful in a situation - bonus. But I don't depend on it.

As for what happens in your average class - every style and individual school is different. Check a few out.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:37 am

soorma wrote:I'm just wondering... how does martial arts actually keep you fit? I imagine you show up for class and practice techniques and spar... what else goes on in the average class?

Drilling the movements. I to did traditional jj. Getting thrown, getting up, then throwing is a hell of a workout.
K division.

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:54 am

I train in BJJ,
Working as a bouncer and having to deal with things going south, BJJ was my go to art for safe, secure, and insanely cool looking take downs. Plus when police did come to make the arrest, it was quite easy for officers to put cuffs on without the suspect fighting back.
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:06 am

noanykey wrote:I train in BJJ,
Working as a bouncer and having to deal with things going south, BJJ was my go to art for safe, secure, and insanely cool looking take downs. Plus when police did come to make the arrest, it was quite easy for officers to put cuffs on without the suspect fighting back.

Yes, you are their hero.

Seriously though, do you EVER first read what you post before you hit submit?

That safe, secure and cool-looking takedown will last until your very first dogpile when someone who knows nothing about being politely "taken down" takes that shiny new badge and shoves it up your ass.

Sigh.

I guess that VERY strongly worded warning from Pete, one of the most experienced RCMP officers in Canada, didn't mean anything to you.

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:44 am

"Don't listen to Dave, you got this bro!"

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:14 am

I've worked as security at multiple bars, know how many times I've had to get physical with someone? Zero.
Verbal communications are the way to go. If all else fails, soft body control to remove the trespassed person.

The 'bouncers' who go hands on immediately are typically power tripping from their steroid breakfast.
If your goal is policing as a career, then communication skills are #1.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.