Anyone else here that the ATS PREP is changing?

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
JaneneF
Rookie Member

Re: Anyone else here that the ATS PREP is changing?

Postby JaneneF » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:43 pm

That's a concern.....women can do it, they just need to learn a good technique is all.

My struggle with the dummy is not the weight, it's my tiny hands vs. huge gorilla wrists on the dummy. (My hands don't even go halfway around). I know a lot of big guys and have yet to meet one with wrists that huge. Plus flesh is squishy, rescue randy is not, lol.

I always say I'd do the drag under the armpits but I find they quickly discourage people from doing it because its awkward returning it to the starting position. I plan on doing a practice prep before renewing my real prep, so I might just give it a go anyway and see if I fare better

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:47 am

Yeah, the wrist size, along with the tape makes the wrists very slippery. I work with 200lb guys who's wrists aren't even that size. It's very awkward and if you don't position the hands a certain way it allows for you to easily lose grip and burn out trying to gain control and momentum.

I like how the west coast police services have a rope on the dummy that you can use to drag. id rather ATS do something like that than decrease the weight for women.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

JaneneF
Rookie Member

Postby JaneneF » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:02 pm

That would be ideal, as that is my issue with it... I lose grip and have to stop and regrip, which burns out my legs. I kind of hold his thumbs to pull him and that's the only way I can hold him

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:10 pm

This is just a suggestion, but it works for me and others I've told it to, but make sure the thumbs are downward (parallel to floor not ceiling). This allows the strong portion of your hand (thumb) to grip where you have little to grab onto and the weak portion of your hand (pinkie) to lock in to the thumb and wrist curve of the dummy hand. By doing so, you won't lose grip as easy and it locks your hands onto the dummy.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

JaneneF
Rookie Member

Postby JaneneF » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:01 pm

Awesome, I will give that a try my next go.

BlueJaysGuy
Rookie Member

Postby BlueJaysGuy » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:54 pm

I've also heard through the rumour mill that they are going to add a tunnel you need to crawl through. I've heard they will keep that 4 foot wall to jump over and add a 6 foot wall you need to peer or peak over. Have a number or colour on the other side you need to call out to verify you went high enough. Good test of upper back strength. Didn't sound like you'd need to actually jump over the wall.

I can believe the simulated gravel based on photos from the ATS Twitter feed. The first draft I hear had the dummy in a simulated car you had to pull the dummy out of then drag away. The staff protested that because it would take forever to reset (not to mention a real risk of injury if you have to reset a dummy 300 times).

I did my PREP re-cert a few months ago, and I got the impression the new test would be out in less than 6 months. My guess would be towards 2016 they will have it finalized and implemented.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:11 pm

I'm glad they are making the test more challenging.
I've seen people at test sessions that look like they haven't been inside a gym or outside jogging in 20 years, that still pass the PREP.
It is far too easy for people with poor physical health to pass a 2 minute test.
Make the test longer and the applicants who pass it will be people that have shown serious commitment to their physical well-being.

They really need to make the new testing longer.
The tunnel idea sounds incredibly pointless.
I can't think how crawling would relate to daily police duties. (Imagine the mud and grass stains they'd have to clean off their gear and uniform afterwards)

I'd think having the applicants:
-jog several track laps for time (give them 60 seconds to report to next phase)
-now do the full PREP components (keep the 2:42 standard, rest again for 60 sec)
-pushups / core endurance tests for points (then 10 minute standard rest time before shuttle run)
-and finally shuttle run to their max score (6.5 should just be the minimum, extra points for going higher)
(6.5 is doable by at least 50% of the population - this is such a low cutoff, not to mention police will be weighted down during their duties with a vest / duty belt / tac boots)

Firefighter testing is *much* harder.
-30lbs weight vest and 10lbs ankle weights worn during testing (not 9lbs belt like police test)
-200lbs dummy (not 150) -55lbs ladder raise overhead -85lbs rope bundle on shoulder, stair climb -etc, etc.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.