Anyone else here that the ATS PREP is changing?

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
Aberdee
Rookie Member

Anyone else here that the ATS PREP is changing?

Postby Aberdee » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:56 pm

Just a rumor that I heard, that the ATS is going to change the PREP exercises. Make them harder and increase the cut off time. Nothing confirmed though. Seems all very hush hush..

Anyone else hear anything?

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Re: Anyone else here that the ATS PREP is changing?

Postby A.T.R. » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:09 pm

So no more fat unhealthy ppl will get hired?
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

Aberdee
Rookie Member

Postby Aberdee » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:55 pm

A.T.R. wrote:So no more fat unhealthy ppl will get hired?

Not really sure A.T.R. One would hope :D

nielsen19
Rookie Member

Postby nielsen19 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:25 am

I was at an OPP recruiting presentation in September and the recruiter did mention that the time will be cut down and that they are adding another element during the pursuit/restraint circuit. Apparently the changes will take effect as early as January 2015.
Application to OPP - June 27, 2014
Hired - Nov 20, 2014

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:14 am

Excellent to hear. I've seen some really out of shape people just scrape by with the current PREP standards.

It'd be nice to have an option of running a faster time and higher shuttle run, to move the recert from 6months to 12months.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:28 am

Make them harder and increase the cut off time. Nothing confirmed though. Seems all very hush hush..

So increase the workload and the time alloted to complete? Or increase the workload and reduce the time to complete?

Fitness pin exercises have changed so I'd imagine this would follow suit.

I despise the Flexibility component.....I have terribly tight hamstrings and I try and try to loosen them, but I'm still not very good at this. I prefer the Core Endurance over the Curl Ups hands down.

Now only if they'd do something with the sit and reach so I could get 12 hours lieu instead of 8......
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

Aberdee
Rookie Member

Postby Aberdee » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:35 pm

mack_silent wrote:Excellent to hear. I've seen some really out of shape people just scrape by with the current PREP standards.

It'd be nice to have an option of running a faster time and higher shuttle run, to move the recert from 6months to 12months.

I have wanted something like this for years but they will never do it. The Ontario police chiefs want their money...

Aberdee
Rookie Member

Postby Aberdee » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:37 pm

I have been told that these are the changes that will happen. Nothing is from confirmed sources, but I have heard the same four component changes multiple times from unconfirmed sources. So maybe there is some truth to it.

1) 7.5 shuttle run requirement vs. the current 6.5 standard.

2) 6 ft wall to jump over vs. current 4.5 ft wall (I think its 4.5 ft).

3) Dummy drag will somehow have simulated gravel under it to make it harder to pull him.

4) time to complete the event will increase.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:38 pm

Aberdee wrote:I have been told that these are the changes that will happen. Nothing is from confirmed sources, but I have heard the same four component changes multiple times from unconfirmed sources. So maybe there is some truth to it.

3) Dummy drag will somehow have simulated gravel under it to make it harder to pull him.

Increase or decrease? Almost seems pointless to make it harder, then give more time if they are trying to get better, physically, applicants.
K division.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:35 pm

Well, if they are going to make the wall 6 feet tall, that would add some time on for people, especially shorter ones. That could also cause some injuries when people go over and have to get down on the other side. Turned ankles being one of them.

polarbear
King Poobah

Postby polarbear » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:53 pm

The QC TAPE is a lot more demanding than the ATS PREP. A whole bunch of qualified applicants seem to pass the test. Can't see why a few changes with the PREP would be a bad thing.

http://www.enpq.qc.ca/fileadmin/Fichier ... 07-ANG.pdf

The second video on the following link describes all of the physical tests involved..... Beep test to 6.5, pursuit circuit( including 5x 6' wall scale), push-pull, dummy drag, cpr, pool swim and victim drag....

http://www.enpq.qc.ca/futur-policier/et ... sique.html
POLICE OFFICER

JaneneF
Rookie Member

Postby JaneneF » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:08 pm

Aberdee wrote:I have been told that these are the changes that will happen. Nothing is from confirmed sources, but I have heard the same four component changes multiple times from unconfirmed sources. So maybe there is some truth to it.

Haha..I'm 5'0. It's going to take a helluva leap to get me over a 6' wall. :((

I've heard from a recruiter, they wanted to modify the dummy drag for women because apparently that is where most struggle and are losing women candidates...

I'll let you all know when I retest in the new year!

fjacky
Rookie Member

Postby fjacky » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:31 pm

Casey Jones wrote:Fitness pin exercises have changed so I'd imagine this would follow suit.

It's easier....for me anyway
!!!2008!!!

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:55 pm

The QC TAPE is a lot more demanding than the ATS PREP. A whole bunch of qualified applicants seem to pass the test. Can't see why a few changes with the PREP would be a bad thing.

No issues with making it more difficult, I'm more so curious as to how the 6 foot wall would work....IE footholds or rope, etc.

I've heard from a recruiter, they wanted to modify the dummy drag for women because apparently that is where most struggle and are losing women candidates...

That's a concern.....women can do it, they just need to learn a good technique is all.

It's easier....for me anyway

If you mean the FIT PIN, I'm the same. Its way easier to practice pushups, the core endurance, etc than try to mimic the PREP obstacle course.