Best exercises / conditioning for a LEO?

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
Aberdee
Rookie Member

Best exercises / conditioning for a LEO?

Postby Aberdee » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:16 pm

In anyone / everyone's opinion, what would be the best areas to target for an officer?

Anaerobic conditioning?

Aerobic?

Upper body strength?

Lower body strength?

All around conditioning?

Just wondering what everyone things. My uneducated guess... I place my bet on upper body strength. But I am not sure about anaerobic vs. aerobic.

scott90
Rookie Member

Re: Best exercises / conditioning for a LEO?

Postby scott90 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:46 pm

Total body, Anaerobic conditioning in my opinion.

cyrusdm
Rookie Member

Postby cyrusdm » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:51 pm

scott90 wrote:Total body, Anaerobic conditioning in my opinion.

Definitely anaerobic. 100% right.

The cops out there going for jogs and not doing any anaerobic training are wasting their time (from an officer safety standpoint). For some reason cardio is over valued within the RCMP, its all well and good to keep from becoming a fat slob, but it's not going to help you in a fight.

My suggestion is any exercise which promotes power. Lift heavy and lift explosively. Ideally see if you can get into a high level wrestling and BJJ gym.

Again...aerobic activity (cardio) is a waste

scott90
Rookie Member

Postby scott90 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:50 pm

cyrusdm wrote:Again...aerobic activity (cardio) is a waste

Haha, I wouldn't go that far. Anaerobic is definitely more effective, but you can't discount that cardio in any form is going to have a positive impact.

gregc

Postby gregc » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:30 am

Rob SHAUL is doing some specific programming for law enforcement. I have done several of his programs, well thought out and they have produced excellent results.
Constable

Life is not a dress rehearsal. Decide, then do!

Black Pyjamas
Rookie Member

Postby Black Pyjamas » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:01 pm

Aberdee wrote:In anyone / everyone's opinion, what would be the best areas to target for an officer?

Anaerobic conditioning?

Aerobic?

Upper body strength?

Lower body strength?

All around conditioning?

Just wondering what everyone things. My uneducated guess... I place my bet on upper body strength. But I am not sure about anaerobic vs. aerobic.

They're all important. If you want to be physically effective as a member you have to do them all. If I had to prioritize them it would look like this:

1. Strength + anaerobic conditioning
2. Aerobic capacity

Strength and anaerobic capacity are equally important. Building up a general endurance base comes in a close second. Having a general endurance base actually contributes to superior anaerobic capacity. An easy, effective way to structure your fitness for policing could be something along these lines:

Day 1 - Strength (Starting Strength/Tactical Barbell/531 etc)
Day 2 - Anaerobic session (high intensity/short duration)
Day 3 - Strength
Day 4 - Anaerobic
Day 5 - Strength
Day 6 - aerobic/longer steady state activity/run etc.
Day 7 - Rest

ODIN
Veteran Member

Postby ODIN » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:44 am

You need good all around fitness, I usually do 4-5 days of lifting per week and 6 days cardio. You should be able to maintain a high rate of cardio and then be able to fight if need be. For me I switch up my cardio, I usually do 2 days a week very high intensity, usually sprint a mile or do a mile and half coopers test, 2 more days of hard walking uphill, for at leat 45-55 min, I do a day of just walking 90 minutes and usually a stairmaster day or eliptical day to change things up. in summer I will run to the gym or bike. As for lifting my goal is bodyweight or more for big exercises bench, deadlift, squat. Im currently on a high rep low weight program usaully 5 sets per exercise and 30,30,20,20,20 cycle or to failure. Im also a big fan of dips, pull ups, push ups. That being said if you dont eat right you will fail in the gym and make things harder on yourself. Its 80% nutrition and 20% gym. By adopting these principles it will aid you in becoming more rounded from a all round perspective. benching 500 is great but if you cannot run a block its useless, running a marathon is nice but if you cannot push any weight its counter productive. Strive to succeed in both areas and the job gets much easier.
CTP-22

soorma
Rookie Member

Postby soorma » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:14 pm

Couple of questions for everyone:

Do you guys use treadmills for any HITT workouts? Does that work equally good? So if you are doing 1 mile sprint, could you do it on a treadmill also?

How many aerobic and anaerobic workouts should you have to maintain fitness over a 7 day week?

Is one HITT on treadmill and two steady state good for maintaining fitness?

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:50 am

Hi Soorma,

Treadmill is good, but different than outdoor jogging.
When using treadmill, it is best to put the incline raise at about 2% to compensate for wind resistance and have it more closely match outdoor jogging.

The RCMP website recommends 3-5 cardio sessions and 2-3 weight training sessions per week.
I personally think 3 cardio and 3 weight training sessions per week is very sufficient, especially if you are active with sports and other exercising (I swim regularly/play several sports).
I like to do max 1 HIIT session per week (wind sprints) and 2 jogging sessions (2.4km or 5km).
My weight training also includes crossfit and firefighter style workouts that get the cardio going too.

Good luck!
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

soorma
Rookie Member

Postby soorma » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:25 am

mack_silent wrote:Hi Soorma,

Treadmill is good, but different than outdoor jogging.
When using treadmill, it is best to put the incline raise at about 2% to compensate for wind resistance and have it more closely match outdoor jogging.

The RCMP website recommends 3-5 cardio sessions and 2-3 weight training sessions per week.
I personally think 3 cardio and 3 weight training sessions per week is very sufficient, especially if you are active with sports and other exercising (I swim regularly/play several sports).
I like to do max 1 HIIT session per week (wind sprints) and 2 jogging sessions (2.4km or 5km).
My weight training also includes crossfit and firefighter style workouts that get the cardio going too.

Good luck!

Hi mack_silent,

Thanks for the reply.

Your cardio plan sounds very similar to what I had in mind. I have been debating whether or not I should add a fourth run but I think I might stick with three and start playing sports instead to get variety. I was just wondering... do you do your sprints outside or on a treadmill? What happens in the winter time when there's snow and ice on the ground? Also, which kinds of sports would you recommend?

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:01 pm

Hi Soorma,

If it's snowy or muddy on the sidewalks or track, I will train indoors. (My last run on the track was in 6 inches of mud and water... not fun)
I try to do most cardio outdoors though and save the treadmill jogs for bad weather or warming up before weight training.

I do my sprints outdoors on a track. I have an mp3 that plays tabata interval fitness" cues with music in background.
Sprints on a treadmill are tricky, but can be done. HIIT or shuttle run style treadmill workouts are something to consider.
There's also bikes, rowing, skipping, burpees, jumping jacks, elipticals, stair machines, etc. I enjoy stair climbs with weight vest on.
For sports, anything that has you sweating and hitting your target heart rate zone is good.
I do swimming, volleyball, softball, hockey, biking, paintball, and a few others. Pick something you enjoy.

I have found my best cardio improvements came from running outdoors.
When I first started jogging, I did so on treadmills. After several months of treadmill training, I saw little improvement.
I moved outdoors and after just a few weeks saw great improvements. I got faster at distances, stronger legs, and better lung performence.

Here's a good article on running outdoors vs. treadmill:
http://runnersconnect.net/running-train ... ng-easier/

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:31 pm

Any indoor 400m tracks in Toronto? I've been noticing the outdoor tracks are really muddy lately and don't want to do all sidewalk.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:01 pm

I found one at my University. It's free to use for students too :)