ATS PUSH TEST

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
marfen2
Rookie Member

ATS PUSH TEST

Postby marfen2 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:03 pm

A friend of mine Is doing the ATS prep test and she is worried about the push portion of it as she is really quite short. She has great lower body strength but needs to work on some upper body. Even with that though ,she has a great mechanical disadvantage because of her height.
Any ideas for her? The push test is the only thing she is worried about and is looking for some training tips to help her out.
Thanks everyone!

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Re: ATS PUSH TEST

Postby mack_silent » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:49 pm

Some local services hold practice sessions, that would be a good first step for your friend.

The biggest challenge in the push test is usually foot positioning and body posture.
Once you find the best foot position / body posture for your height, lock your arms (but keep a slight bend at elbows, as per test rules).
Also, try maintaining speed from the last lap of the run and go straight into the push, using momentum from the run to help in initially raising the weights.
Chest exercises (chest press) and pushups would also help build muscles needed for raising and stabilizing the weights.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

marfen2
Rookie Member

Postby marfen2 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:59 pm

Thanks mack_silent! Maintaining the speed is certainly a great idea. I'll pass your tips on. She is doing some bench presses. That gives me an idea. Maybe holding a weighted bar from the bench position as well as reps?

JaneneF
Rookie Member

Postby JaneneF » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:41 pm

I too am quite short (5 feet) and the push pull was fairly easy. I've failed recently (4 seconds...ugh) because of the large wrists on the dummy and I found my hands weren't even halfway around it. Tell her to also work on grip strength and I'm assuming she will have small hands as well so she doesn't have to fork out an extra $80 to test again.