That darn dummy and its massive wrists!

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
mack_silent
Rookie Member

Re: That darn dummy and its massive wrists!

Postby mack_silent » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:53 pm

Ask ATS if you can use two hands on one wrist for the dummy drag?
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:32 pm

Prowler push and sled drags have to be the best leg workouts I've ever done. Hated them before. Love them now!
OFFICER OF THE LAW

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:59 pm

basketcase wrote:Prowler push and sled drags have to be the best leg workouts I've ever done. Hated them before. Love them now!

I still hate them...but realize their true power.
K division.

JaneneF
Rookie Member

Postby JaneneF » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:35 pm

Yeah I definitely want to getting some sled drag practice in. My workouts are pretty good (today's was run 1 mile, 100 pull ups (band assisted :( ), 150 push-ups (man push-ups) 200 squats and then another mile run. But I definitely want to do more things that mimic the pursuit circuit to shave some time off for the retest.

Gearhead77
Rookie Member

Postby Gearhead77 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:43 am

Janene,
I like to do wrist curls in the "palm-up" and "palm-down" varieties. For the palm-up curls, I let the bar roll all the way down to my fingertips, and then use my fingers only to curl the bar back into my palms and then complete the curl with my wrists.

JaneneF
Rookie Member

Postby JaneneF » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:45 pm

Gearhead77 wrote:Janene,
I like to do wrist curls in the "palm-up" and "palm-down" varieties. For the palm-up curls, I let the bar roll all the way down to my fingertips, and then use my fingers only to curl the bar back into my palms and then complete the curl with my wrists.

Thanks Gearhead I will give those a try as well. My wrist strength is not the best (a few years ago, as a waitress would struggle with carrying a heavy plate of food without my wrist giving out... lol... not nearly as bad now but still not good) and these would definitely help.

ng67
Rookie Member

Postby ng67 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:24 pm

Gearhead77 wrote:Janene,

Excellent advice! I have been doing the same exercises for a few weeks now and I have seen great improvement in my wrist and forearm strength. It helps me for pull-up as well.
RCMP / E-Div
Constable

Gearhead77
Rookie Member

Postby Gearhead77 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:56 am

I like to gauge my progress by squeezing a bathroom scale with both hands. It's low-tech and cheap. I find the old style spring-scale (non-electronic) ones work well to see how you're doing. I like it because it gives you a number so you can actually track your progress rather than make guesses on if you are stronger.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:00 pm

Gearhead77 wrote:I like to gauge my progress by squeezing a bathroom scale with both hands. It's low-tech and cheap. I find the old style spring-scale (non-electronic) ones work well to see how you're doing. I like it because it gives you a number so you can actually track your progress rather than make guesses on if you are stronger.

Learned after the first time?

K division.

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:51 pm

JaneneF wrote:Yeah I definitely want to getting some sled drag practice in. My workouts are pretty good (today's was run 1 mile, 100 pull ups (band assisted :( ), 150 push-ups (man push-ups) 200 squats and then another mile run. But I definitely want to do more things that mimic the pursuit circuit to shave some time off for the retest.

The Murph. Love that workout.
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

JaneneF
Rookie Member

Postby JaneneF » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:58 pm

Good old murph. That last mile sucks when your legs are jello!

Gearhead77
Rookie Member

Postby Gearhead77 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:16 pm

Shawshank wrote:
Gearhead77 wrote:I like to gauge my progress by squeezing a bathroom scale with both hands. It's low-tech and cheap. I find the old style spring-scale (non-electronic) ones work well to see how you're doing. I like it because it gives you a number so you can actually track your progress rather than make guesses on if you are stronger.

Not sure what you mean?

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:33 pm

Gearhead77 wrote:
Shawshank wrote:

Not sure what you mean?

Figured your grip was too strong, broke the digital ones made of glass the first time you tried it, hence the picture.
K division.

Gearhead77
Rookie Member

Postby Gearhead77 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:19 pm

Shawshank wrote:
Figured your grip was too strong, broke the digital ones made of glass the first time you tried it, hence the picture.

Ah, I can see that happening. Luckily I have never tried it on a glass one!! I had an electronic scale with a plastic pressure plate and I found that unless you were standing on the center of the pad it wouldn't read the weight properly. To grip it in the middle was physically impossible given the size of the scale as it had a large border around the outside of the pressure plate. I ended up getting one of the old style scales where the entire top was a pressure plate that read the proper weight by applying pressure anywhere on it. Now I'm pushing myself to see how high I can get before I have to do the fitness test! I'm in limbo until my local PD starts recruiting so I'm using this time to keep pushing ahead.

BTW, Shawshank, thanks for the tips on using myfitnesspal. Made a big change on my nutritional intake and I can see/feel the effects already!

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:38 pm

SierraSeven wrote:
JaneneF wrote:Yeah I definitely want to getting some sled drag practice in. My workouts are pretty good (today's was run 1 mile, 100 pull ups (band assisted :( ), 150 push-ups (man push-ups) 200 squats and then another mile run. But I definitely want to do more things that mimic the pursuit circuit to shave some time off for the retest.

The Murph. Love that workout.

Last time I attempted it, was about 2 years ago, 99.9% prescribed (I didn't have ballistic plates for my body armour, I used regular weight plates instead), did it on the anniversary of his death and took me a friggen hour. To think he did it regularly in the sandbox, much faster.....he was definately an ultra rare breed of person.