That darn dummy and its massive wrists!

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
JaneneF
Rookie Member

That darn dummy and its massive wrists!

Postby JaneneF » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:18 pm

So... Failed the circuit by 4 seconds due to the inability of my tiny freakish dwarf hands being unable to keep a grip on the HUGE dummy wrists. (Seriously, my hands barely wrap around it halfway).. My hands are 6 inches from the heel of my palm to the end of my fingers (I'm 5 ft tall and female)...had no problems on the push/pull or the arm strength thinger... Just that dang dummy.

I'm going to sit and try and strengthen my hands with those grip thingies (my technical terminology is fantastic, I know) or maybe I should just concede and try the modified fireman drag?

People with teensy hands, I ask your advice! What worked for you? I'm super frustrated and obviously my size is going to be my biggest obstacle. I do like to consider myself fairly fit (5'0, 135 lbs, 20 % body fat - which is considered optimal for women... ) and I've been working my ass off (literally... Dropped 14 % body fat in 9 months) only to be thwarted by my tiny hands!

Woe.

48highlander
Rookie Member

Re: That darn dummy and its massive wrists!

Postby 48highlander » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:22 pm

Either work on your grip strength (farmers walk, deadlifts, fatbar anything), or sit the dummy up and drag it from under the armpits, which is actually easier.

JaneneF
Rookie Member

Postby JaneneF » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:26 pm

Thanks... I think I will try that modified drag under the arm pits. And in the meantime continue improving my upper body strength to try and shave off a few more seconds as well.

JaneneF
Rookie Member

Postby JaneneF » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:52 pm

Ugh apparently my grammar goes out the window when I am frustrated. Sorry folks

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:57 pm

You can strengthen your wrists and grip at home too.
Wrist - Use table edge and light weight for wrist curls.
- Home made wrist roller device (see photo)

Grip - Pull up, chin up, and monkey bars at gym
- Towel or rope pull ups (see photo)
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

JaneneF
Rookie Member

Postby JaneneF » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:09 am

mack_silent wrote:You can strengthen your wrists and grip at home too.
Wrist - Use table edge and light weight for wrist curls.
- Home made wrist roller device (see photo)

Grip - Pull up, chin up, and monkey bars at gym
- Towel or rope pull ups (see photo)

Thanks! I will definitely give those a try. I'm going to retest in 2 months so I still qualify for the free level 2 testing. I go to the gym everyday but I am definitely going to amp up my upper body strength as well to shave off a few more seconds to save for the Dummy drag as well and work on my grip strength.

Thank you all for the tips! It's hard not to feel discouraged, but I got this far, a little more hard work should get me there.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:48 pm

Another way to , keep getting better in the other areas. If you can take four seconds off the pursuit aspect, it would make up the difference for a poor dummy drag.
K division.

ryan.p
Rookie Member

Postby ryan.p » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:06 am

It's been years since I've done the PREP, but do they allow you to wear workout gloves while running the circuit? If so, that may give you a bit more grip on the wrists.
| Now on board with VanB's 5 step program |

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:36 pm

ryan.p wrote:It's been years since I've done the PREP, but do they allow you to wear workout gloves while running the circuit? If so, that may give you a bit more grip on the wrists.

Never seen them used, and wearing "workout gloves" to get a better grip (in any endeavour) is counter productive.

1) The material of the glove INCREASES the thickness/diameter of whatever it is your are attempting to grab ahold of.
2) Unless they are brand spanking new, there tends to be alot of play inside the gloves, combine that with sweat and friction (plus point 1 above) and you will have a bitch of a time holding onto anything.

Unless you are training in extreme heat/cold (therefore need to keep your hands from getting frozen or burned), gloves serve no useful function in the gym beyond looks, and keeping equipment free of chalk.

ryan.p
Rookie Member

Postby ryan.p » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:17 am

48highlander wrote:
ryan.p wrote:It's been years since I've done the PREP, but do they allow you to wear workout gloves while running the circuit? If so, that may give you a bit more grip on the wrists.

Never seen them used, and wearing "workout gloves" to get a better grip (in any endeavour) is counter productive.

1) The material of the glove INCREASES the thickness/diameter of whatever it is your are attempting to grab ahold of.
2) Unless they are brand spanking new, there tends to be alot of play inside the gloves, combine that with sweat and friction (plus point 1 above) and you will have a bitch of a time holding onto anything.

Unless you are training in extreme heat/cold (therefore need to keep your hands from getting frozen or burned), gloves serve no useful function in the gym beyond looks, and keeping equipment free of chalk.

I was just looking at ways to increase friction between a small, sweaty hand and the dummy's arm. If she can't physically get her entire hand around the wrist to create a good grip lock, maybe creating friction will at least help her pull it without slipping off.

Was just a thought.
| Now on board with VanB's 5 step program |

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:02 pm

ryan.p wrote:
48highlander wrote:

I was just looking at ways to increase friction between a small, sweaty hand and the dummy's arm. If she can't physically get her entire hand around the wrist to create a good grip lock, maybe creating friction will at least help her pull it without slipping off.

Was just a thought.

Liquid Chalk would work better, but I am unsure if that would be allowed either, although once dry no one would be able to tell.

JaneneF
Rookie Member

Postby JaneneF » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:08 pm

Thanks for the ideas. My trainer bought some wide grip handles and I'm going to load a pull trolley thing at the gym with 200 lbs to start (It's on wheels so it will never replicate a dummy drag, but maybe increase the weight to 250 after a few weeks, it might be close.

Also, going to try and get a practice session in and try the underarm carry too and see what works. If I can do the underarm pull in 30 seconds or so I'll pass with flying colours.

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:53 pm

JaneneF wrote:Thanks for the ideas. My trainer bought some wide grip handles and I'm going to load a pull trolley thing at the gym with 200 lbs to start (It's on wheels so it will never replicate a dummy drag, but maybe increase the weight to 250 after a few weeks, it might be close.

Also, going to try and get a practice session in and try the underarm carry too and see what works. If I can do the underarm pull in 30 seconds or so I'll pass with flying colours.

If your gym has the floor space, convince them to get a sled or a prowler/butcher, and drag one of those with a rope. I did that with one our clients when I was still at my gym back home. She would come in and do the WOD and then work with me (since I was the only trainer to have done the PREP), fixing alot of weak points (grip, hip extension and few other areas) and then finish by dragging a prowler w/ me on top.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:38 am

You should check and see about using gloves or anything else before you retest. don't assume you can.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

JaneneF
Rookie Member

Postby JaneneF » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:52 am

Definitely will meathead.