Smoothie Diet

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Smoothie Diet

Postby basketcase » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:03 pm

Anybody ever done one? I know they say not to get your calories in a liquid sense but I'm looking to drop five pounds in two weeks for something big that's coming up. I'm thinking the only way to get some greens into my body, which I can't stand, is through a smoothie. Using it for a few days as a detox sort of deal I've heard can be beneficial.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Re: Smoothie Diet

Postby GoodWitness » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:18 pm

I know someone who did one of those "cleanse" smoothie things, and it knocked them for a gastrointestinal loop for about 3 months afterwards. I don't know if there was some secret ingredient in it, but it messed them up for a good long time, diarrhea, etc.

How about just consciously eating half of what you'd normally eat? That might do it on its own. I remember you dropped a fair bit of weight a while back, I assume you've been at the same weight for a while now?

A friend recently cut out all carbs but kept everything else the same, including exercise level. He's a big guy, about 6'3", was getting kinda chunky, and dropped about 40 lbs the first month on the no-carb thing.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:31 pm

Yep I've been at a consistent weight for some time now. I just want to cut this five pounds off for a bit of extra speed. Lighter weight means faster legs. As for cutting carbs out completely, that's not really an option for me. I know it helps drop the weight, but good carbs are key for energy and make up a balanced diet. So I'm not really looking to eliminate anything I've got on the go right now.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

ms76
Rookie Member

Postby ms76 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:02 pm

Cut out sugar, starchy carbs and processed foods. It is pretty easy to drop weight quick but it will be mostly water. Unless you change your eating habits you will put it back on.

As for carbs you don't need to cut them completely just the bread, rice and potatoes. Eat leafy green veggies and sweet potatoes for your carbs.

ms76
Rookie Member

Postby ms76 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:02 pm

And smoothies usually are high in fruit which is good and bad. Fruit has a lot of sugar so if you are looking to cut fat too eat fruit in moderation.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:12 pm

Smoothies made from vegetables and small amounts of fruits can be quite healthy when combined with a nutritional meal plan.
Everything in moderation, so I would recommend adding in some 1% milk for protein.
Also, 4-6 smaller snack size meals throughout the day. (Not just smoothies)

Steer towards more vegetables than fruit, as fruit only smoothies are typically very high in sugar.
Much like soda pop, when the body takes in large amounts of sugar quickly, it doesn't get processed properly and turns into fat.
"Vitamin water" for example has way too much sugar, which negatively effects absorption of the vitamins into the body.
Same with gatorade, if drinking it for workouts, it's best to dilute 50/50 or even 25/75 with water.

If you're looking to cut 5 lbs, that's very achievable by taking out a few hundred calories from your daily diet intake.
There are online/app daily caloric calculators, where you can log your approximate intake toward your goal weight.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:41 pm

Thanks guys. Like I've said. I've got a balanced diet right now and my weight is consistent. So there's no real need for drastic changes. I was just wondering if anybody has tried a few days of smoothie only as a cleanse/detox and to get the veggies in that I need.

Green veggies are my enemy. Lol.

Sweet potato vs regular potato. Always a great debate. Sweet potatoes are higher in sugars and lower in starch. Sweet potatoes can have a higher GI than regular potatoes depending on how they are prepared. So there really isn't a better or worse, depending on the goals. The resistant starch being digested is what causes some delay in the digestive process, but it doesn't contribute to getting fat. It just sits in your belly longer.

For the apps, I use myfitnesspal. It's the one I've promoted on here quite a bit and is still the best.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:17 pm

ms76 wrote:Cut out sugar, starchy carbs and processed foods. It is pretty easy to drop weight quick but it will be mostly water. Unless you change your eating habits you will put it back on.

As for carbs you don't need to cut them completely just the bread, rice and potatoes. Eat leafy green veggies and sweet potatoes for your carbs.

Good advice, but leafy greens have very low carbs anyway, and what is there is more or less sequestered in slowly digested/absorbed fibre.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:22 pm

basketcase wrote: I'm looking to drop five pounds in two weeks for something big that's coming up.

Bathing suit shopping??
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:55 pm

Ah yes, bikini season. Maybe consider waxing, that might be good for a pound right there, depending on ethnic background.

Bairdo
Grand Poobah

Postby Bairdo » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:55 pm

mack_silent wrote:Steer towards more vegetables than fruit, as fruit only smoothies are typically very high in sugar.
Much like soda pop, when the body takes in large amounts of sugar quickly, it doesn't get processed properly and turns into fat.
"Vitamin water" for example has way too much sugar, which negatively effects absorption of the vitamins into the body.
Same with gatorade, if drinking it for workouts, it's best to dilute 50/50 or even 25/75 with water.

Pop and fruit aren't good examples to compare to each other as your body processes them quite differently. There's also no cookie cutter formula for gatorade - they don't put it in bottles for the purposes of being diluted. If you are diluting Gatorade, you don't need the electrolytes that it's formulated to replace and should probably just stick to water - the best thing out there for most people anyways. Anyone taking 'vitamin water' for the vitamins, well, that's not even worth addressing.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:35 pm

Anavar.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

SierraKiloMike
Rookie Member

Postby SierraKiloMike » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:29 am

I had a buddy that did isagenix, it was a meal plan consisting of when to eat food and substituting meals with shakes and appetite suppressants. It was for 30 days, and he lost about 15lbs... but here's the kicker, it almost cost him $400. He's managed to keep the weight off, been off it for about 2 months and only gained 2 lbs back, but he's maintaining the healthy eating so its worked so far for him.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:38 pm

How much speed/endurance are you really going to gain by dropping weight quickly?
K division.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:02 am

Carrying less weight means you move more quickly. Endurance is dependant on cardio so there's no expectation that I will last longer without increasing cardio. But it's normal to expect to move around more quickly when you drop some weight.

As for isagenix....no thanks. There's no magic formula in it and I can get the same benefit from making my own shakes with some protein powder and not spending anywhere near what isagenix costs.
OFFICER OF THE LAW