Training at depot

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
marfen2
Rookie Member

Training at depot

Postby marfen2 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:48 pm

Can anyone tell me if there are heavy bags etc. at the gym at depot? I don't want to bring gloves and such if not. Also, is there opportunity for any trail running in the area? Again, I don't want to bring extra gear.

Thanks!

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Re: Training at depot

Postby Respond Wayne » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:38 pm

You can try sending a PM to >>> Depot Web <<< if you don't get a reply here... He's the Web guy stationed at Depot, so if anyone should know, it'll be him! ;)
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

Depot Web
Rookie Member
Location: RCMP Academy, "Depot" Division, Regina, Saskatchewan

Postby Depot Web » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:20 pm

Exactly what VanSmack said. The PDT gym has plenty of heavy bags. Cadets can bring their own wrap-style gloves and you can use whatever you want after hours. The supplied gloves are all sanitized regularly.

There's no heavy bag in the weight room.

As for trail running, all the running paths in the city are paved and kept clear all winter. Some people do run alongside the path, but it's not real trail running (and you may have noticed that Regina is kind of flat). There is a hill just off the path that runs by Depot that works well for quick sprints up and down and there are some great trails outside the city (Wascana Trails, Buffalo Pound), but those will require a car to get to them.
David Calam
RCMP "Depot" Division

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:44 pm

Not that these questions will be relevant for me for a very long time but,

Is the defensive tactics gym available outside of class hours if cadets wanted to grapple(bjj)?
Is chalk allowed in the weight room? I think I have seen pictures of it, doesn't appear to be too big.
K division.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:22 pm

I did a day tour of OPC and the new TPS college, can't wait to take BCT!

The pepper spray hut at OPC looks like fun!
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

marfen2
Rookie Member

Postby marfen2 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:25 pm

OK, thanks everyone!
Good to know. I didn't realize there was a separate gym for defensive tactics, but great!
As for trail running, yeah I figured it was in the city and likely flat.....I won't have a car but we'll see what happens. Just waiting for background checks and medical/dental so I have more than a couple of months to plan things.
Thanks again.

Depot Web
Rookie Member
Location: RCMP Academy, "Depot" Division, Regina, Saskatchewan

Postby Depot Web » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:15 pm

Shawshank wrote:Is the defensive tactics gym available outside of class hours if cadets wanted to grapple(bjj)?

Yes, the PDT gym, like the other fitness facilities, is available until curfew.

Is chalk allowed in the weight room? I think I have seen pictures of it, doesn't appear to be too big.

No, chalk is not allowed. The weight room was redone in 2007 and is quite large. I just paced it out and it's roughly 4,800 square feet (not including the cardio area). There are 18 free weight stations (power racks and benches) and 9 weight machines.
David Calam
RCMP "Depot" Division