PARE Test-Techniques

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
GoodWife
Rookie Member

PARE Test-Techniques

Postby GoodWife » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:41 pm

Hi All,

So I have been watching the PARE Test videos posted on you tube and I am curious as to how to jump over the 3ft barrier when doing PARE test? Are you allowed to touch the bar when you are jumping over it or you are not allowed to touch it? Can you jump over it with one foot on top for safety? The reason I ask is I have to do the PARE test and I am finding it difficult to jump over the 3ft barrier, I have no problem jumping over it with one foot on top( like you do in PREP test when going over the wall).

I have seen the you tube videos and the girls are basically stepping over it. :ponder: Is that allowed when performing the test? Thanks.

26point2
Rookie Member

Re: PARE Test-Techniques

Postby 26point2 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:56 pm

I'm not a girl, but the best way I found is to put both hands on the bar and kind of "stride" over it. Like left foot first, then the other if that makes sense. (or right foot first)

Found this, seems effective? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiTDm6EOjqQ
"Sic Itur ad Astra"
"Such is the Pathway to the Stars"

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:52 pm

PCMP PARE Administrator Manual states that : You can touch the voult with any part of the body but you must remain in control all the time.

See:
Faults and Penalties Related to the Obstacle Course (f)

https://www.mhc.ab.ca/~/media/Files/PDF ... 013_2.ashx

Good read.
This 2013 edition should be current as it replaces the 2008 manual. I would however ask recruiting or the staff administering the test about any "in-place" practices.
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:33 am

Looks like leg power would be the most important element. Try box jumps, air squats and light weighted crab walks to prep for the test.

Good luck!

Edit: I was thinking of the Vancouver Police test with standing next to the vault, and doing multiple vaults in a row.
After reviewing the video 26point2 posted... I'd follow his advice and use some of your momentum to roll over the vault 1 leg first as if it were a fence top.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

GoodWife
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWife » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:26 pm

Thanks guys, your info and suggestions are much appreciated. I had my husband make ma a 3ft wall in the basement of our house and let's just say that I am glad it's not a swim suit season. 88) :banghead:
But in time, I will get it right. :thumbsup:

davejames86
Seasoned Member

Postby davejames86 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:36 pm

Also, when landing on your stomach after the vault, land facing toward the cone so you can get up and run. When landing on your back, have your head point toward the cone so you don't have to climb over your legs to get up and going again. Little things that will help your time.
Your heart is where your duty lies. Your head is just along to help with the driving.
KCCO

OneMoreRep!
Rookie Member

Postby OneMoreRep! » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:01 am

davejames86 wrote:Also, when landing on your stomach after the vault, land facing toward the cone so you can get up and run. When landing on your back, have your head point toward the cone so you don't have to climb over your legs to get up and going again. Little things that will help your time.

Excellent pointers, something very simple that may make the difference between a pass / fail. Easy enough area to shave off seconds and over 6 laps those seconds definitely add up :alright:
CP: August 2013
RPAB: Jan 2014 Passed