Training for the PREP help.

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
John014
Seasoned Member

Re: Training for the PREP help.

Postby John014 » Wed May 07, 2014 12:19 am

Burpies. Tonnes and tonnes of burpies.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

JaneneF
Rookie Member

Postby JaneneF » Tue May 13, 2014 10:09 am

I've had success in starting at a level 4 on the treadmill for 1 minute, then 4.5 for 1 min, then 5 for 1 min etc all the way up to 8 for one minute.

This of course is for the shuttle run. I've just recently passed my practice prep and I have a poor dummy drag...so I just ran through the pursuit circuit faster to cut down the time. Stick close to the wall when running around it, do every other stair on the way up (I hit every stair on the way down because I find the stairs really high and I am really short - 5'0, and didn't want to fall on my face)

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Tue May 13, 2014 11:49 am

For treadmill shuttle ran training, it's a good idea to put it on a 2 or 3 incline to simulate actual running.
I find it's a good idea to train far past the goal level, as treadmill seems easier and the shuttle will be after PREP (legs will be a bit tired).

Each stage is approximately 1min 05secs.
Do a few minutes of walking to warm up, then:
Stage 1 starts at 5.0mph, (8.0 km/h).
S2 = 5.6
3 = 5.9
4 = 6.2
5 = 6.5
6 = 6.8
7 = 7.1
8 = 7.4
9 = 7.8
10 = 8
11 = 8.4
12 = 8.7

Good luck!
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

JaneneF
Rookie Member

Postby JaneneF » Tue May 13, 2014 12:24 pm

mack_silent wrote:For treadmill shuttle ran training, it's a good idea to put it on a 2 or 3 incline to simulate actual running.
I find it's a good idea to train far past the goal level, as treadmill seems easier and the shuttle will be after PREP (legs will be a bit tired).

S2 = 5.6
3 = 5.9
4 = 6.2
5 = 6.5
6 = 6.8
7 = 7.1
8 = 7.4
9 = 7.8
10 = 8
11 = 8.4
12 = 8.7

Good luck!

Hah! thats much harder! I will give that a try tonight as opposed to my regular one (although I have passed the shuttle part successfully with mine) but you can't be too prepared

RemingtonSteel
Veteran Member

Postby RemingtonSteel » Sun May 18, 2014 3:47 pm

I use the High Intensity Interval Training on a treadmill to prepare for it - I can't take full credit as the following program was sent to me initially by Devilwoman. It works fantastic though - I've seen huge gains in my cardiovascular performance (I use incline 5.5 but you could change that as needed, but always have some incline).

Walk for a few minutes to warm up

90 Seconds at 8.0 MPH
80 Seconds at 8.2 MPH
70 Seconds at 8.4 MPH
60 Seconds at 8.6 MPH
50 Seconds at 8.8 MPH
40 Seconds at 9.0 MPH
30 Seconds at 9.5 MPH
40 Seconds at 9.0 MPH
50 Seconds at 8.8 MPH
60 Seconds at 8.6 MPH
70 Seconds at 8.4 MPH
80 Seconds at 8.2 MPH
90 Seconds at 8.0 MPH

Walk for a few minutes to cool down

In between each stage, I recover for about 60 seconds at about 5.0 MPH (so, a speed-walk or slow jog).

In addition, I regularly incorporate weight lifting and other strength training techniques - you don`t want to be all cardio and no muscle, fitness is a combination of all factors.

I think I`m gonna give Macksilent`s a try next week though - I`m guessing the last level or two will hurt hahaha.
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story

BlueBetty
Rookie Member

Postby BlueBetty » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:00 pm

What amount of weight should I be able to bench press? Also, what are some weight machines (and suggested weights for each) to use to prepare for the test? Are there gyms or schools in the Toronto area that have the same equipment to practice with (other than the ATS facility)?

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:05 pm

Hi Betty,

The push component of the PREP would utilize the chest muscles the most.
It includes lifting 70lbs of weight off the ground, and keeping it raised while performing 6 side to side walking arcs.
There is no magic numbers for bench press weight needed to perform this, as body weight, core, leg, arm strength and other factors play a role.

Start your chest workout days with the best chest compound exericse: the bench press.
If you are new to bench press, I would suggest having a fitness trainer or gym representative show you how to safely use a smith machine.

Smith machines include a safety cage that guide the weight bar. This is good for beginners as it makes lifting safer. You can learn squats safely in a smith machine too.
Smiths also makes lifting easier (as it is guided) so be careful when you start to use free weights, you'll need to reduce the weights and always have a spotter.

Start with just the bar (which weighs 45lbs).
Use the safety blockers on the smith machine to protect yourself from dropping the bar or weights on your chest.
For the first few months, lift fairly light and at high reps to build a starting foundation.
I'd suggest 3 sets of 12 reps, so keep the weight very light. Every few weeks, bump the weights up slowly and reduce the rep amount.

I'd suggest picking up a fitness trainer for a few weeks to show correct form and to explain the various equipment.
They can also draw up a weekly schedule so you're getting the most out of your workouts.

A few other exercises for chest strength:
-Pushups (can do regular, knees on ground to make easier, resistance bands or weight vest or on stairs to make harder)
-Chest fly machine or cable chest fly machine (better to do these near the end of your workout)
-Smith machine bar pullups

Good luck!
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

BlueBetty
Rookie Member

Postby BlueBetty » Mon May 04, 2015 9:16 pm

Thanks Mack

Cass
Rookie Member

Postby Cass » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:56 pm

mack_silent wrote:For treadmill shuttle ran training, it's a good idea to put it on a 2 or 3 incline to simulate actual running.

S2 = 5.6
3 = 5.9
4 = 6.2
5 = 6.5
6 = 6.8
7 = 7.1
8 = 7.4
9 = 7.8
10 = 8
11 = 8.4
12 = 8.7

Good luck!

This is fantastic to know. I always struggle once I get to the shuttle run... I always pass but I'm close to dying every time, which is not good. 6.5 is not that far and I feel that just passing is not good, you should be able to pass and feel good after. I will definitely try this a few times before renewing my prep next time. Currently I'm doing HIIT on the threadmill. Cardio is just not my thing, I have to be doing it daily to be any good at it and if I miss a couple days I'm back to where I started. Weird.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:29 pm

Get a weight vest and use the program provided. Makes a world of difference.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."