Training for the PREP help.

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
Poseidon93
Rookie Member

Training for the PREP help.

Postby Poseidon93 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:32 am

Hey guys,

I'm hoping to go and take the PREP test in November-December. I was wondering if anyone has any good workouts/exercises to help me prepare for the push/pull and the dummy drag? I already do bench presses (only 55lbs though :oops: ), and work on my back,but I'm looking for exercises that simulate the push/pull and dummy drag without actually using the equipment. Thanks for your help.

Also, what is good weight for a women entering this field? I'm 20 years old, 5'1" and I weigh around 115lbs.

48highlander
Rookie Member

Re: Training for the PREP help.

Postby 48highlander » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:49 am

Poseidon93 wrote: and work on my back,

What does this entail?

but I'm looking for exercises that simulate the push/pull and dummy drag without actually using the equipment. Thanks for your help.

Heavy Squats and Deadlifts and Press, if you can get one or find a gym that has one, drag/pull a sled/prowler. Getting a dufflebag (or a purpose made sandbag), and filling it sand and draging that around also works.

Also, what is good weight for a women entering this field? I'm 20 years old, 5'1" and I weigh around 115lbs.

Services stopped hiring people based on height and weight, years ago. Also weight is irrelevant, if you don't know what percentage of that weight is lean mass and what is adipose tissue.

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:04 pm

48highlander wrote:Services stopped hiring people based on height and weight, years ago. Also weight is irrelevant, if you don't know what percentage of that weight is lean mass and what is adipose tissue.

To illustrate that point:

deemarie5
Rookie Member

Postby deemarie5 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:26 pm

I just did re-did my PREP on Sunday and passed.
First time I did it I passed, but was gassed afterwards.. Could hardly stand..
This time I went in a lot more prepared and passed with a much better time and I could sign off without thinking I was going to pass out.. lol

The exercises I did leading up to my testing date varied because I would just go to a boot camp class 5-6 days a week. I recommend doing something like that if you can.
Also cardio!! :alright: Try to get a run in everyday.. it will benefit you during the first few laps of the PREP, then once you get to the push/pull and the dummy drag you won't feel as tired, and it will give you a few extra seconds that you may need for equipment !

GOOD LUCK! :D

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:09 pm

I am going to second the notion of squats. They will help you with the drag and will help you jump over the fence. As well, you need to be able to drive into the push pull machine.
K division.

Poseidon93
Rookie Member

Postby Poseidon93 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:17 pm

Awesome thanks for the replies guys!

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:20 pm

Sumo squats and jump lunges as well.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

michael23
Rookie Member

Postby michael23 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:15 pm

Squat deadlift bench press 3 time a week. You can use different variation of the main 3 lift. If you are from quebec come at 1535 crossfit
start: july 2012
Accepted: june 2013
Troops: 15 september 15 ..march 10

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:46 pm

Although you should be doing a regular resistance training program that is progressive in nature, if you put on a little lean mass by then it won't be much. So, I would suggest you find ways to simulate the actions required in the PREP. Get better at it at the same time get stronger at it and you'll be fine.

Another practical tip as a smaller, probably more cardiocentric type of person...Give 'er hard on the laps between the events in the PREP. It will buy you more time so that if you struggle and do the pull slow, you'll still have time to finish.

When in the weight room, concentrate on compound movements like bench press, squats, deadlifts, etc... I know you said you want to work on your back. I have one of the widest backs known to man (lol) and I'm big on heavy bent rows. I work up to 465lbs on bent rows and it has really thickened and widened my upper back while giving the lower back a good workout as well. Between bent rows and deads, your back will get bigger and stronger.

Finish every workout with high intensity interval training. It will help your cardio but will also help you work throw the lactic acid build-up that anaerobic exercise will bring about.

Good luck and remember, it's a very small moment of time in your life. Give it everything you have. Leave it all out there. If it hurts after, your new job will make it all better.

CO

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:53 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:Although you should be doing a regular resistance training program that is progressive in nature, if you put on a little lean mass by then it won't be much. So, I would suggest you find ways to simulate the actions required in the PREP. Get better at it at the same time get stronger at it and you'll be fine.

Another practical tip as a smaller, probably more cardiocentric type of person...Give 'er hard on the laps between the events in the PREP. It will buy you more time so that if you struggle and do the pull slow, you'll still have time to finish.

When in the weight room, concentrate on compound movements like bench press, squats, deadlifts, etc... I know you said you want to work on your back. I have one of the widest backs known to man (lol) and I'm big on heavy bent rows. I work up to 465lbs on bent rows and it has really thickened and widened my upper back while giving the lower back a good workout as well. Between bent rows and deads, your back will get bigger and stronger.

Finish every workout with high intensity interval training. It will help your cardio but will also help you work throw the lactic acid build-up that anaerobic exercise will bring about.

Good luck and remember, it's a very small moment of time in your life. Give it everything you have. Leave it all out there. If it hurts after, your new job will make it all better.

CO

Are you talking bent over bb rows?
K division.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:00 pm

Yes

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:10 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:Yes

FFS. That is insane, don't suppose you have that on video do you?
K division.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:08 pm

No I do not. LOL. Come see it at my gym any back day though.

Anywho, back on topic...

CO

jtilden
Rookie Member

Postby jtilden » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:07 am

CourtOfficer wrote:it's a very small moment of time in your life. Give it everything you have. Leave it all out there. If it hurts after, your new job will make it all better.

^This. Excellent advice. :D I'm always so nervous when I do the ATS PREP test, and I always find that those nerves don't constitute a good performance.

xamjl123
Rookie Member

Postby xamjl123 » Sat May 03, 2014 6:25 am

The PREP test is almost all legs. Running, jumping the wall, leaning into the push and "sitting" for the pull, dummy drag.. those are all leg-intensive exercises. So squats are an extremely important part of any training regimen. Squat heavy, and squat often. And then run. Heavy barbell deadlifts are also highly recommended as it will train your lower back and also your grip (for the hand restraint and dummy drag).