Typical Shift Length in Ontario

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
Adamv993

Re: Typical Shift Length in Ontario

Postby Adamv993 » Wed May 01, 2013 7:40 pm

pm sent

Warden196

Postby Warden196 » Mon May 06, 2013 4:45 am

I work with Hacienda, and he knows my feelings on the matter quite well. The biggest most important aspect to all of this is TIME OFF. Our management team kicked the bee hive with the statement that 'the extended periods away from the workplace due to 12hr shifts leaves the employee disconnected from the work place' I want to be as far away and disconnected from the workplace as possible if I'm not working.

I could care less about their stats, research and their bullshit concern about my health. I don't care about their health and frankly I really don't think they care about mine. The problem is they work straight days, at work every day except weekends and can't wrap their big heads around the fact that I get 4 whole days off in a week!

I love enforcement. I love the shift work (when done properly). Now they've taken one of the two things that I wanted this type of job for away from me.

Can't wait until they see their precious 'productivity reports' now.
Ontario Police Officer

hacienda216
Rookie Member

Postby hacienda216 » Mon May 06, 2013 11:44 pm

Bravosarah wrote:Hacienda,

This could actually be a deal breaker for me...

However, I have been successful TWICE, in implementing a CWW with two of my employers.

The answer is statistics.

They can read all the studies and Google all the articles that they want, but in the end when you add your time and inspections, a CWW always gives the employer more. PLUS a happier more satisfied employee who, will in turn work more productive hours and take less sick time.

For example at my current job, in an eight hour shift we would typically complete 6 inspections per day for an average of 30 inspections per week.

In a ten hour shift we could easily do 2 more inspections, sometimes more for an average of 34.5 inspections per week.

The extra production comes from less 'settling in' time. At start of shift, most people will check their emails, their voicemails, read any bulletins, get briefed on previous shifts, sign out and check over equipment, laptops, radios, vehicles etc, prior to their first inspection.

Once they're working, they're working.

A smart management team will listen to its staff.

Undoubtedly, at the end of the year they will listen to statistics.

You're preaching to the converted Bravo. We've explained that the added "settling in" time you were talking about, by moving from our current 12hr shifts to an 8hr shift equates to more than 150 extra wasted hours by each employee each year. Management doesn't seem moved by that; like Warden pointed out, they're much more concerned with the negative health effects our current 12 hr shift brings. You know, and those "extended absences" that "disengage" us from our work...

moon501
Rookie Member

Postby moon501 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:31 am

hacienda216 wrote:
Bravosarah wrote:Hacienda,

This could actually be a deal breaker for me...

However, I have been successful TWICE, in implementing a CWW with two of my employers.

The answer is statistics.

They can read all the studies and Google all the articles that they want, but in the end when you add your time and inspections, a CWW always gives the employer more. PLUS a happier more satisfied employee who, will in turn work more productive hours and take less sick time.

For example at my current job, in an eight hour shift we would typically complete 6 inspections per day for an average of 30 inspections per week.

In a ten hour shift we could easily do 2 more inspections, sometimes more for an average of 34.5 inspections per week.

The extra production comes from less 'settling in' time. At start of shift, most people will check their emails, their voicemails, read any bulletins, get briefed on previous shifts, sign out and check over equipment, laptops, radios, vehicles etc, prior to their first inspection.

Once they're working, they're working.

A smart management team will listen to its staff.

Undoubtedly, at the end of the year they will listen to statistics.

You're preaching to the converted Bravo. We've explained that the added "settling in" time you were talking about, by moving from our current 12hr shifts to an 8hr shift equates to more than 150 extra wasted hours by each employee each year. Management doesn't seem moved by that; like Warden pointed out, they're much more concerned with the negative health effects our current 12 hr shift brings. You know, and those "extended absences" that "disengage" us from our work...

Some departments you can get very tired after putting in a long 12 hour shift and going from one disturbance call , to fight call , to large fight , gun fire to mentally disturbed person ,to MVC to other family domestic call so on.

I think departments like 12 hr shifts because you can do with less officers.Where 8 hour shifts you need more officers.So departments struggling to get money to hire new officers will go with the 12 hr shifts.

Reese
Rookie Member

Postby Reese » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:35 pm

moon501 wrote:
Some departments you can get very tired after putting in a long 12 hour shift and going from one disturbance call , to fight call , to large fight , gun fire to mentally disturbed person ,to MVC to other family domestic call so on.

I think departments like 12 hr shifts because you can do with less officers.Where 8 hour shifts you need more officers.So departments struggling to get money to hire new officers will go with the 12 hr shifts.

How did you came to that conclusion?