Typical Shift Length in Ontario

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
hacienda216
Rookie Member

Typical Shift Length in Ontario

Postby hacienda216 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:48 pm

Hey folks,

Our management has recently decided to can our compressed work week agreements across the province; doing away with our 12 hr shifts in favour of more frequent, shorter shifts. I won't specifically name my employer but I will say that I'm charged with enforcing various provincial statutes relevant to safe and efficient operation of large vehicles on some of the busiest highways in North America.....vague enough??? :mrgreen:

One of the "justifications" our management has given is that "independent, law enforcement based research" has shown that 12 hour shifts are too long, and not good for our health. In fact, they claim that the OPP, and "most other" police services in Ontario are moving AWAY from 12 hr shifts (which I think might be a reference to an OPP study done like...10 years ago??). Every OPP officer I know, from the southern most points of this province, to some of the far northern reaches, tells me they're still working a 12 hr shift; most in the 4 on/4 off or some on the 5 on/5 off variation, and all my buddies at various GTA forces tell me they work 12s, either 4 on/4 off or the continental rotation...as far as I can tell, the only officers that DON'T work 12's are the unfortunate folks at TPS, but they have their own reasons for that.

I've dug around here a little and have found some of the info I'm looking for but I'm wondering if some of you would be willing to help me out and let me know what shift lengths some of these services are working in terms of general patrol officers. Feel free to add your own service in if I didn't list it.

And FYI, OT is STRICTLY prohibited for us; it will almost NEVER be approved short of....I don't know, maybe if I was held hostage or trapped in my burning cruiser after a crash at shift change...even then, they would probably push for us to book sick, hahaha. So a 12 hr shift almost never turns out to be any longer than 12 hrs for us.

OPP - let me know if you work something OTHER than a standard 12hr shift or an on call shift up north
TPS - the infamous whacky TPS rotation (10 or 8 hr shifts?)
Peel Regional - weird TPS type schedule ??
Durham Regional - ?
York Reg - 12 hrs in 4 on/4 off
Halton Reg - 12 hrs in 4 on/4 off
Hamilton - 12's in continental (I believe?)
Ottawa - 10 hr shifts
London -
Niagara Regional - 12's 4 on/4off
Waterloo -
Guelph -
Kingston -
Sudbury -
Barrie - 12 hrs
South Simcoe -
Windsor -

Any ideas what some of the smaller services work?

Orangeville - 12 hrs
Shelbourne - 12 hrs
Midland - 12 hrs
Coburg -
Pembroke -
Owen Sound -

If anyone has fought the fight to keep a compressed work week schedule and wants to shoot me some info, feel free. If you don't want to post your schedule in the open, again, feel free to PM me.
Last edited by hacienda216 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Whistler22
Seasoned Member

Re: Typical Shift Length in Ontario

Postby Whistler22 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:09 pm

LP21
Rookie Member

Postby LP21 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:24 am

pm sent.

hacienda216
Rookie Member

Postby hacienda216 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:42 am

Whistler22 wrote:Ottawa is 10h for patrol.

And the independent law enforcement based research probably has a lot to do with a study called the "Shift Length Experiment":

http://www.policefoundation.org/sites/p ... ment_0.pdf

More about it:

http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/maga ... e_id=32013

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/gazette/vol74 ... ne-eng.htm

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/237330.pdf

http://www.policefoundation.org/content ... MgodbkMAJw

Ya, I've been working my way through some articles on the Shift Length Experiment already, thanks for the info.

There were a number of other easily refuted justifications given by management but at this point it looks like they don't want to tip their hand as to what the REAL reasons for the change are; instead they are trying to pass it off as "it will be better for your health" and "12 hr shifts create extended absences which disengage employees from their work" (in case you were confused, that's supposedly a "bad" thing according to our bosses). Zero input from the frontline officers as usual.

Provost
Rookie Member

Postby Provost » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:27 am

We moved to a 5/4 split shifts last year. Yeah the 12 hours get a little long by your last day sometimes, but the amount of time off you get more then makes up for it. Best schedule ive had to date.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:16 am

We are on 4 on 4 off (12 hr) shifts for now. We switch to the 5/4/5 schedule in may. Still 12 hrs.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:58 pm

Halton is the same as York. 12's (4on/off)
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:21 pm

mack_silent wrote:Halton is the same as York. 12's (4on/off)

Doesn't Halton have some sort of odd mix of days/nights in the 4 as well? A guy was telling me what it was, but it was quite a while ago.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:14 pm

Doesn't Halton have some sort of odd mix of days/nights in the 4 as well? A guy was telling me what it was, but it was quite a while ago.

2 days/2 nights...off for 4.

HPS is the continental and it kinda blows going from nights to days (IE finish nights on Monday morning, back in days Wednesday morning....exhausting.)
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:44 pm

Most members I know don't like the 2/2/4 schedule. Maybe a silly question but... Would doing 4 days/4 off/4 nights/4 off be harder on the system?

It's about Ontario not BC so excuse me for throwing this in...
I spoke to BCTAPS member last time I was on shift. He stated that they can choose to work all night or all days or any combination in between.
The said member works 4 on 4 off, nights only as far as I understood and he sets his schedule a year in advance.
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:24 pm

:(( opp2?, sorry... ??

"its not..
it's 2 days 2 nights 4 off."

The member said he works C watch/shift only. With TAPS C watch comes nights. As far as the member said they don't do split shifts.

Edit:

Or rather don't have to.

A comes days
B comes mid day
C nights

They don't "own" the call signs. It depends when they work, they are either Alpha, Bravo or Charlie's.
As far as I was told, if a member works a day shift his call sign is Alpha, if he works tomorrow a night shift, he is Charlie or Bravo if he works mid day.

This is all based on info received from Taps member.
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

Bravosarah
Rookie Member

Postby Bravosarah » Wed May 01, 2013 3:02 pm

Hacienda,

This could actually be a deal breaker for me...

However, I have been successful TWICE, in implementing a CWW with two of my employers.

The answer is statistics.

They can read all the studies and Google all the articles that they want, but in the end when you add your time and inspections, a CWW always gives the employer more. PLUS a happier more satisfied employee who, will in turn work more productive hours and take less sick time.

For example at my current job, in an eight hour shift we would typically complete 6 inspections per day for an average of 30 inspections per week.

In a ten hour shift we could easily do 2 more inspections, sometimes more for an average of 34.5 inspections per week.

The extra production comes from less 'settling in' time. At start of shift, most people will check their emails, their voicemails, read any bulletins, get briefed on previous shifts, sign out and check over equipment, laptops, radios, vehicles etc, prior to their first inspection.

Once they're working, they're working.

A smart management team will listen to its staff.

Undoubtedly, at the end of the year they will listen to statistics.
*FIRE INVESTIGATOR* origin, cause, & circumstance :D

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Wed May 01, 2013 3:56 pm

I've worked 8, 10, and 12 hour rotating shifts.
Personal preference, the 12 hour - 2 day+2night / 4 off looks like a really great schedule.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.