Race Reviews

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
Shawshank

Race Reviews

Postby Shawshank » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:51 pm

I know that a number of us do races on here as part of fitness and to have something to work towards and keep motivated. I figured that we can have a thread of reviews of the races we have done. The basics such as price, how busy, flat terrain etc.

Perth Kilt Race
Approx time of year: End of June
Entrants: Little over 2000
Distances offered: Only 8km
Entrance Fee: 40 dollars, plus another 40 to buy a kilt if you don't have one. You can use the same kilt year to year.
Terrain: Part through the town, minor elevation, Part through a golf course
Chip time: Yes
Water stations: Every 1km
Impression: The city in full, it seemed, came out and lined the streets to cheer on the runners. High energy through the streets. The golf course gets tedious though. And no, you don't have to dodge balls.
Do it again: In a heart beat
Loot Bag: None

Santa Shuffle
Location: Tunney's Pasture, Ottawa. Held in Other cities as well.
Approx time of year: Beginning of December
Entrants: About 1000
Entrance Fee: 40 a person OR 6 people for 90
Distance offered: 5km
Distance Ran: 5km
Terrain: Fairly flat, minor elevation for 1km
Chip Time: No
Water stations: 1
Impression: It is a bleak run, around a number of government buildings. Some people are nuts, it was -18 and people were out in tank tops.
Do it again: Eh, just for the calendar.
Loot bag: Magazine and Lindt advent calendar that retails for 13 bucks.
K division.

26point2
Rookie Member

Re: Race Reviews

Postby 26point2 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:40 am

Meant to post here a few weeks back, I'll post a couple more later ...

Run for the Diamond - Uxbridge Half Marathon
Approx time of year: End of April
Entrants: A little under 200
Distances offered: kids dash (1k), 5k run, 10k run/walk, 21.1k
Distance ran: 21.1k
Entrance Fee: $30-$85 depending on distance and how late you enter
Terrain: Mix of pavement, grass, forest trail, golf cart paths. Oh yeah, the hills kicked my ass.
Water stations: Every 3km or less
Impression: 10/10 for course challenge, the trails were rough and the hills were steep. Scenery was great, and despite most of the race being quite rural, there was lots of support from the residents cheering us on.
Do it again: This year for sure
Loot Bag: Technical shirt, some nutrition samples, snacks if I remember.

Niagara Falls International Marathon
Location: Started in Buffalo, NY and ended in Niagara Falls, ON
Approx time of year: Late October
Entrants: About 1300
Entrance Fee: $100-ish
Distance offered: 1/2 marathon, full marathon, marathon relay (two 1/2s), 10k, 5k
Distance Ran: Full Monty
Terrain: Only one hill -- the bridge crossing into Canada! (Only the marathon and relay does)
Chip Time: Yes
Water stations: 3.2, 6.4, 9.6, and every 1.6K after
Impression: By far, the most scenic race I've ever run. Very organized, nice time of year, and beautiful route.
Do it again: I hope so.
Loot bag: Long sleeve tech shirt, some treats, and an awesome hi-vis toque.
"Sic Itur ad Astra"
"Such is the Pathway to the Stars"

d.english
Rookie Member

Postby d.english » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:19 am

DU IT LIKE BRYAN OFF ROAD DU-ATHALON

Approx time of year: June
Entrants: 50 or so
Distances offered: choice of team or individual
Distance ran: 3k run 20 k mountain bike 3k run
Entrance Fee: 50 i think it all go's back into amateur sport ns
Terrain: run is a grassy trail run with some gravel paths with a stream / river crossing. bike is a loop of single track and old forest roads and farm roads not the most technical ride if you are a mountain biker but if you are not it is a lot of running. then run the same run loop.
Water stations: one on the run
Impression: great event, always fun, large mix of participants tri athletes, mountain bikers, runners and newbies. also of note it is memory of an officer.
Do it again: this being the 11 year i have done it the last 3 and one before that and will continue doing it as long as i am in the area.
Loot Bag: pot of honey for every entrant (family tradition) and generally a draw prize for all. prizes go 3 deep in a bunch of categories (age/sex)

26point2
Rookie Member

Postby 26point2 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:30 pm

More reviews:

Ottawa Race Weekend
Approx time of year: Late May
Entrants: 40,000 altogether (yeah, it's nuts!)
Distances offered: kids (1k), 5k run, 10k, half marathon, full marathon
Distance ran: full marathon (2012)
Entrance Fee: $40-$100 depending on distance and how late you enter
Terrain: For the most part it's flat pavement. Starts and ends near parliament, crosses into Quebec for about 6k or so.
Water stations: Lots
Impression: Unbelievable the amount of people! Couldn't get out of the congestion from the start to around the 10k mark. What's interesting is, the last 5-6k of the full marathon is the same route as the last 5-6k of the half -- and the half started two hours later. There was easily 10,000 people to mill through at the finish line! Oh, and I think it was 28C that day -- I really prefer the fall races.
Repeat: The Whitby race is the same day, so if I wasn't racing in my hometown, I'd be in the nation's capital again!
Loot Bag: The usual from what I remember.

Whitby International Marathon
Approx time of year: Late May
Entrants: Under 100 for full, not sure of the other distances. Maybe 1000 racers total, all start simultaneously.
Entrance Fee: $30-$90 depending on when you sign up.
Distance offered: kids 1k, 5k, 10k, half, and full marathon
Distance Ran: half (2010), full (2011)
Terrain: Flat, mostly pavement. There is an offroad / trail portion. Some of the waterfront trail is part of the route.
Chip Time: Yes
Water stations: every 3k from what I remember
Impression: The charm for me, it's my hometown. It's not that glamourous, but folks get out to support. Only thing I didn't like, the route for the full marathon goes by the sewage plant. Not pleasant, and you hit it twice! The other races DO NOT have this feature.
Repeat: Toss up between doing the half or full in 2013.
Loot bag: The usual. The shirts are Brooks shirts, good for going to the gym, as well as for runs. Even got another shirt at the finish line with "FINISHER" in big letters.
"Sic Itur ad Astra"

26point2
Rookie Member

Postby 26point2 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:35 pm

Another review:

Hamilton Marathon Road2Hope
Approx time of year: Early November
Entrants: 1500
Distances offered: kids (1k), 5k run, 10k, half marathon, full marathon
Distance ran: full marathon (2012)
Entrance Fee: $100
Terrain: Flat, downhill, then flat. Maybe one or two upward slopes of 100m or so.
Water stations: Yes
Impression: Not the most scenic race I have ever run. Lots of support though, although it's a cold time of year. I think it was -1C at the start, and the sun didn't come out, so it was not much warmer at the finish.
Repeat: Yes. There was a 5k loop that really sucked the wind out of my sails seeing this particularly dreary part of town again. Apparently this year the course is extended so that this loop is eliminated!
Loot Bag: Decent technical long sleeve shirt, I like getting those.
"Sic Itur ad Astra"

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:10 pm

New Years Resolution Run
Location: Ottawa, Ontario as well as various other locations throughout Canada. I think every major city has one as well as a couple dozen other cities.
Approx time of year: December 31st, 6pm.
Entrants: Little over 2000
Distances offered: 5 and 10km
Entrance Fee: 60 I think.
Terrain: Fairly flat, follows the canal
Chip time: No
Water stations: At the turn around make
Impression: Fun, light hearted run. Starts and ends at a bar.
Do it again: In a heart beat
Loot Bag: 80 dollar running room jacket.
K division.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:30 pm

Maritime Race Weekend
Approx time of year: September
Entrants: Little over 1500
Distances offered: 2 5km,10,half and full
Distance Ran: 5km, 10km
Entrance Fee: 60 for one race, 100 for the 5km and your chosen race
Terrain: Road, down the coast. Rather hilly.
Water stations: Every few km
Impression: They have a couple of options. You can just do the race you want on the Saturday morning OR you can do a 5km the Friday night and then your chosen race Saturday morning. For doing the tartan twosome, you get two finishers medals and a belt buckle medal. I ran this in complete fog and could not see more than 50 feet in front of me. But I did hear the ocean as I ran, which was nice. My biggest complaint is that the mile markers were too far apart, at one point I didn't see a marker for about 3-4km. This made it had to pace myself using a basic watch, since I left my garmin at home. The organizers really go to an extreme trying to get sponsors. They gave away a lot of stuff through facebook contests. They ask a general question (Such as how many shoes do you own), they select someone at random. I won a pair of Brooks running shoes. My wife won a 25 dollar gift certificate for a local tea house.

As well, there is a pirate theme to this, so a lot of people dress up as pirates. Although, in the rain, a sexy pirate ends up looking whorish. Great feel overall.
The top times:
Friday night 5k: 17:15,
Saturday 5k: 20:40,
10km:37:08
Half: 1:20:38
Full: 2:50:07

Do it again: I did enjoy this race, but chances are I would not make the trek back to NS based on the expense of flights, hotels and I don't like eating out as often as I need to when traveling.
Loot Bag: A shirt per race, running magazine, medals INCLUDING a belt buckle if you do two races.
K division.

26point2
Rookie Member

Postby 26point2 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:24 pm

WASAGA BEACH TRIATHLON WEEKEND
Approx time of year: Early September
Entrants: 1000 altogether?
Distances: OLYMPIC TRIATHLON, OLYMPIC TRIATHLON SWIM/BIKE, OLYMPIC TRIATHLON RELAY, GIVE-IT-A-TRI, GIVE-IT-A-TRI-RELAY, SPRINT TRIATHLON, SPRINT TRIATHLON RELAY, SPRINT DUATHLON, SPRINT DUATHLON RELAY
Distance ran: OLYMPIC TRIATHLON
Entrance Fee: $100-ish
Terrain: First bit of the swim is against the waves, feels uphill. Bike and run course is pretty level.
Water stations: Yes, on the run course about every 1.5k or so.
Impression: Kife weather -- damp, cold, wet, and also damp and really cold and wet. Kind of refreshing for the run part, but the bike was miserable. Was looking forward to a Hero burger after the race, but they fucked off before the most of us got to their stand. I drank two 500ml chocolate milks just for spite.
Repeat: Well, yes and no -- I would like to do a few more Olympic distance triathlons, but I'm not thinking Wasaga as the next race.
Loot Bag: Standard fare, some newsletters and shite. No shirt or medal for finishing the race.
"Sic Itur ad Astra"

26point2
Rookie Member

Postby 26point2 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:36 pm

WHITBY WATERFRONT RACES
Approx time of year: mid-November
Entrants: 101 (10k entrants)
Distances: 5k, 10k, 10 miler (16k)
Distance ran: 10k
Entrance Fee: $40-ish
Terrain: Flat -- mostly the lakeshore trail of Lake Ontario
Chip time: Yes (rrresults.com)
Water stations: One -- at 3.5k then 6.5 on the way back, two guys -- thanked them on the way back.
Impression: Probably the lowest budget race I've ever done.
Repeat: Yes, but I'd do the 16k next time.
Loot Bag: Standard plus an awesome toque!!
"Sic Itur ad Astra"