Loose skin around belly

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
the1captain
Veteran Member

Loose skin around belly

Postby the1captain » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:07 pm

I lost alot of weight the last couple of years. Would still like to lose about 15-20 more. But the issue I'm dealing with now is the excess skin around my mid section. Anyone know the best way to tighten up that loose skin? I'm doing more ab work right now along with my weight/cardio routines. Just looking for some other ideas.
"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs." - Anonymous

zimmer
Rookie Member

Re: Loose skin around belly

Postby zimmer » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:36 pm

Good on you (weight loss) Capt'

Now it's time to add core training into the mix!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq5m8h38nbs
-side plank lifts (in video link above)
Along with,
-russian twists
-plank rotations
-pilates kneeling side leg raises
-100's of other variations that will do good for core

consider doing some I.F fasting - it does wonders for those stubborn areas.
On the Civilian side of the yellow tape......for now!

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:25 pm

Congrats on losing the weight....it can be difficult to get the skin back to normal if it was stretched out for a long period of time. But, exercises do work and making sure to eat well and drink lots of water helps the skin gain and keep its elasticity, which also helps.

Here's a couple of my favourite exercises for abs:

"Elbows to knees"
Back scratchers
Bicycles
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

rntacp
Rookie Member

Postby rntacp » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:40 pm

I myself have lost a significant amount of weight, I went from 335 lbs to 210 lbs (I'll help with the math) 125 lbs lost. I lost my weight very quickly, loosing 100 lbs almost one year to the day. This was almost five years ago. My skin has gotten tighter around my mid section but unfortunately it will never be complete tight. I've come to terms with it, my own doing. This may very well not be the case for you but I'm just giving you my experience.

About 2-3 years ago I had my family Dr set up a consultation with a cosmetic surgeon. I was looking at 10k and a what they call a "fleur de lis" abdominalplasty. End result, a horizontal scar from hip to hip and a vertical scar from the top of my groin to my sternum area. Asked myself if it was worth it? Excess skin or some bad ass scars. Needless to say I didn't do it.

I did try some supplements years ago that you may want to try. Hyaluronic acid, shark cartilage etc in an attempt to help the elasticity. Did they work? I don't know maybe? Some quick research on the web will steer you towards what supplements you may want to try.

Again, this is my experience. Yours may be completely different and you could end up regaining full elasticity of that skin. Truthfully, all the core/ab exercises in the world will not tighten the skin. Sure, it might help but that isn't the root of the problem. But, nothing wrong with strengthening your core. I do core stuff all the time, doesn't stop me.

The cosmetic surgeons advised me that it may take 10 years+ for the my body/skin to adjust. And in the past five years, it has gotten a lot better. I do understand how frustrating this can be. There's my two cents...

I'm currently 230 lbs and my body composition has completely changed and continues to change. I find that the more muscle I put on and the more fat I loose, the happier I get. So keep at it...

the1captain
Veteran Member

Postby the1captain » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:45 pm

rntacp wrote:I myself have lost a significant amount of weight, I went from 335 lbs to 210 lbs (I'll help with the math) 125 lbs lost. I lost my weight very quickly, loosing 100 lbs almost one year to the day. This was almost five years ago. My skin has gotten tighter around my mid section but unfortunately it will never be complete tight. I've come to terms with it, my own doing. This may very well not be the case for you but I'm just giving you my experience.

About 2-3 years ago I had my family Dr set up a consultation with a cosmetic surgeon. I was looking at 10k and a what they call a "fleur de lis" abdominalplasty. End result, a horizontal scar from hip to hip and a vertical scar from the top of my groin to my sternum area. Asked myself if it was worth it? Excess skin or some bad ass scars. Needless to say I didn't do it.

I did try some supplements years ago that you may want to try. Hyaluronic acid, shark cartilage etc in an attempt to help the elasticity. Did they work? I don't know maybe? Some quick research on the web will steer you towards what supplements you may want to try.

Again, this is my experience. Yours may be completely different and you could end up regaining full elasticity of that skin. Truthfully, all the core/ab exercises in the world will not tighten the skin. Sure, it might help but that isn't the root of the problem. But, nothing wrong with strengthening your core. I do core stuff all the time, doesn't stop me.

The cosmetic surgeons advised me that it may take 10 years+ for the my body/skin to adjust. And in the past five years, it has gotten a lot better. I do understand how frustrating this can be. There's my two cents...

I'm currently 230 lbs and my body composition has completely changed and continues to change. I find that the more muscle I put on and the more fat I loose, the happier I get. So keep at it...

Congrats on losing all that weight and keeping it off. I lost about 70 pounds myself. The annoying part is when wearing track pants it's fine. But the wrong pair of jeans and I get a bad case of muffin top!
"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs." - Anonymous

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:05 pm

But the wrong pair of jeans and I get a bad case of muffin top!

Yeah, that kinda does suck. All you can do is keep at the ab exercises and keep the skin moisturized as well. Dry skin makes it look worse.

Omega 3's do help with skin elasticity, so give those a go (if you don't already).

rntacp
Rookie Member

Postby rntacp » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:50 pm

[/quote]Congrats on losing all that weight and keeping it off. I lost about 70 pounds myself. The annoying part is when wearing track pants it's fine. But the wrong pair of jeans and I get a bad case of muffin top![/quote]

Thanks, you too! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions...

rntacp
Rookie Member

Postby rntacp » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:51 pm

opp2 wrote:
the1captain wrote:I lost alot of weight the last couple of years. Would still like to lose about 15-20 more. But the issue I'm dealing with now is the excess skin around my mid section. Anyone know the best way to tighten up that loose skin? I'm doing more ab work right now along with my weight/cardio routines. Just looking for some other ideas.

Surgery is the only cure I'm afraid.

Ya, that's why I shared my experience...

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:18 am

opp2 wrote:
Sorry i have to admit I didn't read the entire thread so I missed your poste before I posted mine..My experience comes frm my Mom though...she lost 100lbs and had bat wings.

Was it a rapid loss? Essentially what I am asking is if a person loses weight slowly, will the skin adjust compared to if they lose the weight fast and the skin doesn't have time?
K division.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:50 pm

Was it a rapid loss? Essentially what I am asking is if a person loses weight slowly, will the skin adjust compared to if they lose the weight fast and the skin doesn't have time?

Losing weight slowly does help, but age, amount of weight lost and amount of time at the heavier weight does play a factor. Skin loses elasticity as you age and if you are stretching it for a significant amount of time (think of a rubber band), some of it may never recover.

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:26 pm

if you can't live with it, surgery may be an option for you.

fjacky
Rookie Member

Postby fjacky » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:47 pm

rntacp wrote:I myself have lost a significant amount of weight, I went from 335 lbs to 210 lbs (I'll help with the math) 125 lbs lost. I lost my weight very quickly, loosing 100 lbs almost one year to the day. This was almost five years ago. My skin has gotten tighter around my mid section but unfortunately it will never be complete tight. I've come to terms with it, my own doing. This may very well not be the case for you but I'm just giving you my experience.

Congrats, how did you lose the weight?
!!!2008!!!