Intermittent Fasting/Lean Gains

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
Shawshank

Re: Intermittent Fasting/Lean Gains

Postby Shawshank » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:26 am

Sorry, meant to quote the person above you. I clicked the wrong reply to.
K division.

Dogsitter
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Dogsitter » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:14 am

Shawshank wrote:
6'2, 270. My current lifts are Bench 315, Squat 405 and Deadlift was somewhere in the area of 475-485.

Nice lifts. I might reach that deadlift in about 6 months or so but the others....no so much...haha :D Good job
"Criminals thrive on the indulgence of society's understanding."

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:02 pm

It comes one rep at a time.
K division.

Hired Goon
Sage Member

Postby Hired Goon » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:44 am

Shawshank wrote:6'2, 270. My current lifts are Bench 315, Squat 405 and Deadlift was somewhere in the area of 475-485.

I'm in about the same boat. 38 yrs, 6'2", 230 lbs, I float around 12% BF. Bench 315, and squat 405 as well. I don't deadlift very often so I'm not near that weight for a lift, more like 365. Though I've been focusing on my clean and jerk and just made it to 225. I usually work out 4 day/week in the mornings. 2 heavy days and alternate with 2 circuit/crossfit style days. I found it pretty tough to lift that heavy with nothing in the tank while fasting for 15-16 hrs. Couple of times I darn near passed out.

Dogsitter wrote:I agree it's not for everybody. But Martin gives everything away free on his site.

True. Though he keeps plugging the book he's working on.
Again, I don't mind folks trying to earn a buck to make a living, it just makes it hard to sort out the good stuff from all the BS and pseudo science out there. Everyone seems to have the next magic solution. Bottom line: Find what works for you and stick with it. The best workout is the one you will actually do.

To be fair, I've taken SOME of the principles and incorporated them into my eating. Just not the whole lot. I eat a lot less in the mornings and guess it would be more like a smaller fasting window with a couple of small snacks around the workouts to get me through. He encourages to do this with BCAAs, but I just found that wasn't enough for me.
Hired Goon

Dogsitter
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Dogsitter » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:34 pm

Hired Goon wrote:
Shawshank wrote:6'2, 270. My current lifts are Bench 315, Squat 405 and Deadlift was somewhere in the area of 475-485.

I'm in about the same boat. 38 yrs, 6'2", 230 lbs, I float around 12% BF. Bench 315, and squat 405 as well. I don't deadlift very often so I'm not near that weight for a lift, more like 365. Though I've been focusing on my clean and jerk and just made it to 225. I usually work out 4 day/week in the mornings. 2 heavy days and alternate with 2 circuit/crossfit style days. I found it pretty tough to lift that heavy with nothing in the tank while fasting for 15-16 hrs. Couple of times I darn near passed out.

Dogsitter wrote:I agree it's not for everybody. But Martin gives everything away free on his site.

True. Though he keeps plugging the book he's working on.
Again, I don't mind folks trying to earn a buck to make a living, it just makes it hard to sort out the good stuff from all the BS and pseudo science out there. Everyone seems to have the next magic solution. Bottom line: Find what works for you and stick with it. The best workout is the one you will actually do.

To be fair, I've taken SOME of the principles and incorporated them into my eating. Just not the whole lot. I eat a lot less in the mornings and guess it would be more like a smaller fasting window with a couple of small snacks around the workouts to get me through. He encourages to do this with BCAAs, but I just found that wasn't enough for me.

Absolutely. I'm 5'9" 183lbs. Sitting around 12-13% bf right now. I have no delusions that I'll ever hit a three plate bench. I would never want to pack on enough mass on my frame to hit that anyway as I would have to sacrifice too much agility/speed in my running to do it.

the1captain
Veteran Member

Postby the1captain » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:00 pm

I'm interested in trying this. My worry is keeping to a schedule. Especially working shift work. Also when I'm on day shift I like to work out early in the morning before work. Which means I like to have a protein shake after said workout. But if I want to use my sleep time towards the fasting time it means I can't have the shake for many hours later on those days. Don't know if it would matter in the long run.
"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs." - Anonymous

Dogsitter
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Dogsitter » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:07 pm

the1captain wrote:I'm interested in trying this. My worry is keeping to a schedule. Especially working shift work. Also when I'm on day shift I like to work out early in the morning before work. Which means I like to have a protein shake after said workout. But if I want to use my sleep time towards the fasting time it means I can't have the shake for many hours later on those days. Don't know if it would matter in the long run.

It doesn't. I've worked out many mornings at 6am, supplemented with BCAAs, and fasted until 3 or 4 pm. Still made gains.

the1captain
Veteran Member

Postby the1captain » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:24 pm

Dogsitter wrote:
the1captain wrote:I'm interested in trying this. My worry is keeping to a schedule. Especially working shift work. Also when I'm on day shift I like to work out early in the morning before work. Which means I like to have a protein shake after said workout. But if I want to use my sleep time towards the fasting time it means I can't have the shake for many hours later on those days. Don't know if it would matter in the long run.

It doesn't. I've worked out many mornings at 6am, supplemented with BCAAs, and fasted until 3 or 4 pm. Still made gains.

Might sound dumb, but what is BCAA's?
"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs." - Anonymous

the1captain
Veteran Member

Postby the1captain » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:25 pm

Also does one do IF on an ongoing basis? Or do you do them over a set cycle? Such as a 6 week cycle.

zimmer
Rookie Member

Postby zimmer » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:11 pm

the1captain wrote:Also does one do IF on an ongoing basis? Or do you do them over a set cycle? Such as a 6 week cycle.

That is a good question! D-Sitter would know the best answer for that. However, I've been I.F for 4 weeks; my body has changed; changed for the better - 8 lbs, as of today, lighter, along with 1+" off waist (stubborn area to lose).

If it were me, I'd give I.F a 6 week trial.

As for the other poster: BCAA = branch chain amio acids
On the Civilian side of the yellow tape......for now!

Dogsitter
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Dogsitter » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:10 pm

Ongoing basis. No point doing it 6 week cycles since it takes 2 weeks to adjust. The diet you adhere to 90% of the time is what gives you your results. Not going to hurt you to crack now and then.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:22 pm

So if I've got the gist of it for men.

Eat for a period of 8 hours.
On a non-workout day make "breakfast" the biggest meal and take in most of your calories there.
On a workout day make whatever meal is after your workout the biggest meal of the day.
Fast for a period of 16 hours.

How does this work with shift work? I imagine it would work well if you're fasting anyway. I'd just find it difficult for night shifts when you're in the middle of fasting and have to prep a meal while at work.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

Dogsitter
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Dogsitter » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:35 pm

basketcase wrote:So if I've got the gist of it for men.

Eat for a period of 8 hours.
On a non-workout day make "breakfast" the biggest meal and take in most of your calories there.
On a workout day make whatever meal is after your workout the biggest meal of the day.
Fast for a period of 16 hours.

How does this work with shift work? I imagine it would work well if you're fasting anyway. I'd just find it difficult for night shifts when you're in the middle of fasting and have to prep a meal while at work.

You got the gist down. I find it works great for shift work. I take in my biggest meal, usually 1500ish calories, before I head in to work. From there I make up the rest of my cals on shift with snacks....fruit, protien bar/shake, egg whites, cheese, almonds, sandwich, etc... I don't overthink it. I didn't prep big meals when I didn't IF and I don't prep big meals at work now. I'll even hit the Subway or TH if I feel like it.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:21 pm

Genius! It's basically similar to what anybody doing shift work does now because the meal times are so unpredictable.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

Dogsitter
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Dogsitter » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:19 pm

basketcase wrote:Genius! It's basically similar to what anybody doing shift work does now because the meal times are so unpredictable.

Yep. That's why I took to it so quickly. The results will speak for themselves if you track the calories, and it feels great to be released from the eat every 2-3 hours to get gains mindset.