Intermittent Fasting/Lean Gains

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
Dogsitter
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: Intermittent Fasting/Lean Gains

Postby Dogsitter » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:42 pm

Yes sleep time is included. As an example...my feeding window is 1600-0000hrs. I usually sleep in until noonish. Get up do my workout and come home and eat around 1600ish. Day shifts are a bit longer as I'm up earlier but I keep busy enough I don't even really think about food.

But I can change it to fit my lifestyle. If you wanted you can make the window from 1200-2000hrs or 1300-2100hrs...or any combination. The only hardfast rule is to take in at least 75% of your daily calories and majority of protein after your workout. So if you do a day shift...it's no prob to have a light salad, a couple pieces of fruit etc...workout after work, then hit your big protein rich meals afterwards.
"Criminals thrive on the indulgence of society's understanding."

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:48 pm

Ahhhh I've got ya' now. Interesting concept.....I may give it a go.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

zimmer
Rookie Member

Postby zimmer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:59 am

devilwoman wrote:Ahhhh I've got ya' now. Interesting concept.....I may give it a go.

You really should DW. Initially I thought I'd have headaches, no energy, be cranky....

It has been quite the opposite! Got to admit, waking up and not eating breakfast is totally different from the norm. But wasn't a big deal; hasn't been from the first day trying 'I.F'.

Into my 3rd week; down 5lbs, and 1" off waist. Really helps getting rid of that stubborn fat/love handles. I'm doing a 20/4 I.F with 1800cal. intake.
On the Civilian side of the yellow tape......for now!

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:55 pm

Last edited by mack_silent on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

zimmer
Rookie Member

Postby zimmer » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Not sure what you're skeptical about mack_silent - intermittent fasting OR this so called expert in the link!?!
On the Civilian side of the yellow tape......for now!

Dogsitter
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Dogsitter » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:36 pm

Laughed hard when he said he only trained once or twice a week. No shit you lost muscle. :roll:

Stopped reading when he said he walks around at 220 lbs at 6% body fat. :roll: Completely natural I'm sure. :roll:

Edit: For anecdotal observations like this guy's(that I'm skeptical of due to the above mentioned things)...there is a study linked up on Martin's site about the muscle sparing benefits of IF while in a calorie deficit.

Hired Goon
Sage Member

Postby Hired Goon » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:12 pm

To each their own I guess. I tried leangains pretty strictly for a few months. I didn't really care for it. Lots of headaches and feeling like crap. I can't get over the feeling that he's trying to sell something (to be fair, who in the fitness/nutrition industry is not trying to market something). I lost some weight, but not any better than when I keep a good log of my food and eat right. I made some quicker strength and muscle gains once I got of of it. I did feel like I lost some while on it.

It's good that it's working for some folks. I wouldn't discourage people from giving it a try. Just wanted to post my experience as there's no universal solution for everyone. I just try to keep it simple to calories out should be higher than calories in.
Last edited by Hired Goon on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hired Goon

Dogsitter
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Dogsitter » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:13 pm

Hired Goon wrote:To each their own I guess. I tried leangains pretty strictly for a few months. I didn't really care for it. Lots of headaches and feeling like crap. I can't get over the feeling that he's trying to sell something (to be fair, who in the fitness/nutrition industry is not trying to market something). I lost some weight, but not any better than when I keep a good log of my food and eat right. I made some quicker strength and muscle gains once I got of of it. I did feel like I lost some while on it.

It's good that it's working for some folks. I wouldn't discourage people from giving it a try. Just wanted to post my experience as there's no universal solution for everyone. I just try to keep it simple to calories in should be higher than calories out.

I agree it's not for everybody. But Martin gives everything away free on his site. :thumbsup:

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:55 pm

Hired Goon wrote:To each their own I guess. I tried leangains pretty strictly for a few months. I didn't really care for it. Lots of headaches and feeling like crap. I can't get over the feeling that he's trying to sell something (to be fair, who in the fitness/nutrition industry is not trying to market something). I lost some weight, but not any better than when I keep a good log of my food and eat right. I made some quicker strength and muscle gains once I got of of it. I did feel like I lost some while on it.

This is the part that worries me. I figure if I put my ass on a bike or feet to pavement, I can lose the weight and will have a stronger heart anyways. As well, I am worried about losing strength. I want to hit a 365 bench by June and I don't think I could on this diet.
K division.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:17 pm

Last edited by mack_silent on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Dogsitter
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Dogsitter » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:27 pm

mack_silent wrote:How do the results of IF compare to eating a healthy diet of 4-5 smaller meals per day? (in terms of muscle gain / fat loss)

They both work. Some people find IF easier when you get really lean as you are able to eat big meals so you don't feel like you're starving yourself to stay lean. As far as one working better than the other, I wouldn't say either one does. Anecdotally, I can offer it's easier for me to stay disciplined about diet when doing IF.

Dogsitter
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Dogsitter » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:01 pm

Shawshank wrote:

This is the part that worries me. I figure if I put my ass on a bike or feet to pavement, I can lose the weight and will have a stronger heart anyways. As well, I am worried about losing strength. I want to hit a 365 bench by June and I don't think I could on this diet.

What are your stats? Curious just because that's a monster bench.

BrockGuy
Rookie Member

Postby BrockGuy » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:37 pm

Anyone who claims their "thing" (whatever it may be) works 100% of the time is full of it. I think the underlying message here is be disciplined, eat relatively healthy, and exercise. If you focus on those 3 things, you're bound to be successful.

(Im not saying the author here is claiming 100% results) Just trying to illustrate that nothing works for everyone.

In any discussion their are those who rate something "0" and those who rate it "100. Its the in betweens that you should place the most faith in because they are usually the least biased and have enough incite to be objective.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:26 am

BrockGuy wrote:Anyone who claims their "thing" (whatever it may be) works 100% of the time is full of it. I think the underlying message here is be disciplined, eat relatively healthy, and exercise. If you focus on those 3 things, you're bound to be successful.

(Im not saying the author here is claiming 100% results) Just trying to illustrate that nothing works for everyone.

In any discussion their are those who rate something "0" and those who rate it "100. Its the in betweens that you should place the most faith in because they are usually the least biased and have enough incite to be objective.

6'2, 270. My current lifts are Bench 315, Squat 405 and Deadlift was somewhere in the area of 475-485.
K division.

BrockGuy
Rookie Member

Postby BrockGuy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:46 am

Shawshank wrote:
BrockGuy wrote:Anyone who claims their "thing" (whatever it may be) works 100% of the time is full of it. I think the underlying message here is be disciplined, eat relatively healthy, and exercise. If you focus on those 3 things, you're bound to be successful.

6'2, 270. My current lifts are Bench 315, Squat 405 and Deadlift was somewhere in the area of 475-485.

Not too sure why I was quoted in this lol, those are pretty good lifts though.