Intermittent Fasting/Lean Gains

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
48highlander
Rookie Member

Re: Intermittent Fasting/Lean Gains

Postby 48highlander » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:08 pm

I will be doing this more or less for the next year or so, since I have to pay for my food. But for 7 euro a meal, and basically a buffet, I fill my tray with litterally everything in sight, and eat it all and I am good till the next day. Take my BCAA's when I wake up. Maybe drink some fruit juice/milk and eat a piece of jerky during my waking hours. Hit the gym, have my shake (syntha-6, might switch to the BSN mass gainer, for calories), shower and hit the DFAC. Reading the Warrior Diet know, might fine tune it (as much as I can over here).

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:30 am

Figured I would revive this rather than start a new thread. Who's all doing the lean gains/intermittent fasting? I've been following the theory but I'm still a damn fussy eater. I'd like people to share recipes and maybe a sample days meals for a workout and an off day.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:43 am

basketcase wrote:Figured I would revive this rather than start a new thread. Who's all doing the lean gains/intermittent fasting? I've been following the theory but I'm still a damn fussy eater. I'd like people to share recipes and maybe a sample days meals for a workout and an off day.

I still do it because I have now gotten used it, no recipes, I eat what I get in the DFAC.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:43 am

I guess I should add.....my fasting period is from 2200 to 1200. I've chosen this route because it allows me to get a little bit of food into me to help with getting through a night shift. My workouts vary depending on whether I'm working a day shift, night shift or on days off. As you all know I follow the Wendler 5/3/1 workout with assistance exercises. So as a general rule I'm doing weight workouts Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday. I do cardio every day and relax on Sundays. I'm catholic after all, lol. I will always have a smoothie with protein after my workout. I'll either have a strawberry-banana or mixed berry with orange juice. Thank you Costco for the low prices on berries! Generally speaking dinner consists of some kind of meat or chicken with potatoes or rice. The odd time I'll have fish and chips. I try to make all of my meals fresh but sometimes I will settle for the M-M pre packaged meals. I'm thinking I will start to buy meat and chicken bulk at Costco. I've read a lot of stuff that says freezing meat doesn't really affect it. I can't wait until pickerel is open again for the season so I can have some of the best fresh water dish out there! My biggest draw back is fruits and vegetables. I love apples and oranges and can tolerate bananas. Berries are a fan favourite as well. But when it comes to veggies I'm just way too fussy. Stuff like celery, potatoes and carrots I can deal with. I can force down a Caesar salad but that isn't much healthier because of the dressing and cheese. I love eggs and could live off of egg salad sandwiches. It's tough having been raised in a French catholic family. Meat and potatoes is where it's at lol.

I guess I should just find recipes with the stuff I love, cut the portions to get me under the calories I want daily and cook up a storm. Thank God it's BBQ season!
OFFICER OF THE LAW

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:22 pm

basketcase wrote:
I guess I should just find recipes with the stuff I love, cut the portions to get me under the calories I want daily and cook up a storm. Thank God it's BBQ season!

A couple of people here thought (still think?) I am nuts, because I only eat one big meal day here. I eat some beef jerky and fruit through the day, if I feel low on energy, and to be honest I would be hard pressed to want to eat more than once a day in the DFAC (having to pay for every meal is also an incentive to stick to 1 large one). I haven't made many gains/or losses, pretty even keel, probably due to not being able to totally eat clean. But been doing it for 6 months now, and no issues.

Not recipes per se, but definately things that will be a regular staple for me, when I come home.

1) "Meat Roll". Take a rather large and well prepped (ie seasoned and tenderized) flank steak, cover it with stuff (I like sweet peppers, mushrooms, asparagus and feta), roll it, tie it with butchers cord and cook it (prefer BBQ).

2) Tom Yum Goong soup. I got addicted to this stuff on vacation in Thailand, most of meals out were to the various all you can eat hot pot soup places, where the ingredients passed by on a conveyor and you plopped them into the rolling soup pot at your leisure. Particular fond of using Chinese veggies, various mushrooms, large prawns, thinly sliced marinated beef, and bacon.

RC45
Seasoned Member

Postby RC45 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:38 pm

basketcase wrote:I guess I should add.....my fasting period is from 2200 to 1200. I've chosen this route because it allows me to get a little bit of food into me to help with getting through a night shift. My workouts vary depending on whether I'm working a day shift, night shift or on days off. As you all know I follow the Wendler 5/3/1 workout with assistance exercises. So as a general rule I'm doing weight workouts Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday. I do cardio every day and relax on Sundays. I'm catholic after all, lol. I will always have a smoothie with protein after my workout. I'll either have a strawberry-banana or mixed berry with orange juice. Thank you Costco for the low prices on berries! Generally speaking dinner consists of some kind of meat or chicken with potatoes or rice. The odd time I'll have fish and chips. I try to make all of my meals fresh but sometimes I will settle for the M-M pre packaged meals. I'm thinking I will start to buy meat and chicken bulk at Costco. I've read a lot of stuff that says freezing meat doesn't really affect it. I can't wait until pickerel is open again for the season so I can have some of the best fresh water dish out there! My biggest draw back is fruits and vegetables. I love apples and oranges and can tolerate bananas. Berries are a fan favourite as well. But when it comes to veggies I'm just way too fussy. Stuff like celery, potatoes and carrots I can deal with. I can force down a Caesar salad but that isn't much healthier because of the dressing and cheese. I love eggs and could live off of egg salad sandwiches. It's tough having been raised in a French catholic family. Meat and potatoes is where it's at lol.

I am the same way, love fruit and lean meats but I am quite picky with vegetables. Get a Paleo cookbook by Sarah Fragoso. You don't necessarily have to eat strictly Paleo but it gives you tons of ideas of how to make vegetable dishes.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:04 pm

I guess not a ton of people are doing this lol.

One of my favourites is what I had at noon.

Two eggs, green peppers, mushrooms, bit of bacon and some marble cheese all mashed together in a nice omelette. I'm going to try to follow some of the paleo principles as there are some nice recipes. That being said it won't be 100% paleo because I'm still going to have dairy and some bread.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:53 pm

I don't do it, but just as a recipe for you, what I have been doing is taking muffin tins. Spray them with PAM® then put in your omelet mix. I make enough for three days in advanced.
K division.

Zybero
Rookie Member

Postby Zybero » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:40 am

Been a long time since this was active but I was hoping someone is both still active on Blueline and actively taking part in an IF diet.

I work exclusively 12h overnight shifts currently but should I get hired by a police service I would likely be shifted to shift work.

I'm curious how people on schedules like this plan out their meals under an IF diet. Do you keep your 16/8 period the same hours regardless of shift or do you adjust it week to week based on shifts? I know keeping it the same times is better but I can't imagine it's realistic.

Currently I like to do my workouts after work and then hit the sack but if I go on an IF diet I presume that I'll have to move my workouts to "morning" when I wake up otherwise I'd have no post-workout meal to help with muscle building.

Just kind of rambling now so hoping someone can give some insight into IF diets on shift work schedules.

Thanks in advance.

Black Pyjamas
Rookie Member

Postby Black Pyjamas » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:42 pm

Yeah that's an interesting situation working 4 on 4 off with 2 days and 2 nights. If I was back on the road I'd probably maintain the same timings maybe with a slight adjustment. Right now I do IF for a month or two, then cycle back to regular frequent small meals/and then back and forth.

My schedule when I'm doing IF is break fast at 1300hrs, and stop eating at 2100hrs. If I was on the road, I'd maybe change it to 1400hrs - 2200hrs. I'd be up before night shifts probably around 1200-1300, so that would give me plenty of time to eat. Then at 2200hrs I'd stop. Same for dayshifts. I don't think you'd really need to adjust. Just make sure you stuff your face before 2200hrs comes around. Avoid the late night/early morning Timmy's.

The Training part:
As far as workouts go, if you break your fast with a smaller meal at around 2, and then maybe workout at 4-5 just before shift, that might work. Then a relatively big meal after your workout.

I don't do the 4 on 4 off anymore. But I train at around 5pm. I usually eat a meal at 1pm and then a smaller meal snack at 3, and I feel great to train at 5.

Vancouver Hopeful
Rookie Member

Postby Vancouver Hopeful » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:14 am

Hi Guys,

Just joined up! I know this post is a bit dated but the title definitely caught my attention. Much like the OP I have been on the Intermittent Cycle for about 3 months now fairly regularly, and have felt some great results. I'm 6"1' and 185 which is a few off rom my goal of 190 but have never felt more fluid and congruent in my workouts and movements.

I probably should not have read all of your recipes in the morning as I continue my 16hr fast haha!! But thanks for sharing and @rc45 I totally agree that Paleo is the way to go, albeit a bit tough to fit in all of the cooking with a busy work schedule and keeping the food cold/hot.

Anyhow I told myself I'd keep it short! Good to be on the forum and it's awesome to finally find a few more like minded people.
23/04/14 Applied
10/06/14 Questionnaire submitted
06/09/14 Intake exam

30/04/16 2nd app submitted
02/11/16 POPAT
16/11/16 Intake interview & Psych
26/11/16 Poly
21/12/16 Sgt's interview
05/01/17 Background Inv
23/02/17 Medical

Cass
Rookie Member

Postby Cass » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:11 am

I absolutely loved IF when I tried it. Lost fat quick while still gaining decent muscle mass. Pretty much impossible to do though while working shift work. Works best when you can fast at the same times every day. If I ever get back on straight days I'll be doing it again.