Lower Back pain

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
Dogsitter
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: Lower Back pain

Postby Dogsitter » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:05 pm

48highlander wrote:
Shawshank wrote:It is nice when you have a good doctor. A few years ago, I hurt my back while deadlifting, I went to the doctor and she told me to stop weight lifting for life and that I should take up running instead.

I would have found a new doctor and a better deadlifting coach. :P

Hahaha....this..
"Criminals thrive on the indulgence of society's understanding."

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:19 pm

The doctor was the campus doctor when I went to Carleton. Sure as hell was not my family doctor. My family doctor told me to keep working out, just use lighter weights for a while and that it would take time for my back to heal. For my form, I had to leave my ego at the door.
K division.

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:48 am

Shawshank wrote:The doctor was the campus doctor when I went to Carleton. Sure as hell was not my family doctor. My family doctor told me to keep working out, just use lighter weights for a while and that it would take time for my back to heal. For my form, I had to leave my ego at the door.

Alot of people (me included) had to learn this lesson.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:13 pm

It is. My problem was I hurt my back doing BB rows. I want to rush back to where I was in terms of numbers because I was chasing the 5th plate. I hurt it again. Took some more time off. Came back and did the same thing again.
K division.

RedRain
Rookie Member

Postby RedRain » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:27 pm

To make a long story short, I suffered a disc herniation that was bad to the point of getting a fusion. Couldn't walk, sit or lay down without pain. Narcotics didn't help much either. I ended up opting for a disc replacement paid out of pocket and now I'm deadlifting 315 which is close to my original of 455.

I work a lot on my core now and the only thing that bothers me is tight hamstrings.

Always use full ROM with proper technique. I didn't hurt myself in the gym, at work out in the field.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:04 pm

I'm off work now with a disc herniation that is compressing a nerve. I have constant pins and needles down the back of my thigh, I've lost some feeling in the bottom of my foot and I have tremendous trouble taking a leak now. I'm waiting for a referral to a surgeon. The pain and discomfort is managable with narcotics and a medication used for nerve pain. I can't work right now-if I take the medication, I'm impaired and can't drive. If I don't take it, I'm on the ground in a ball.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Gardenfit
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Gardenfit » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:47 am

meathead1 wrote:I'm off work now with a disc herniation that is compressing a nerve. I have constant pins and needles down the back of my thigh, I've lost some feeling in the bottom of my foot and I have tremendous trouble taking a leak now. I'm waiting for a referral to a surgeon. The pain and discomfort is managable with narcotics and a medication used for nerve pain. I can't work right now-if I take the medication, I'm impaired and can't drive. If I don't take it, I'm on the ground in a ball.

Jesus mate, good luck with that. Surgery an option?

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:53 am

Just waiting for a referral to a surgeon, but it looks like it might be.

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:15 pm

I've had lower back pain in the past, nothing like you are going through meathead, wow I'm sorry to hear that! I'm still dealing with my right knee pain issue from my close encounter with a hydro pole almost a year ago, still going to Physio for it a couple times a week... It's a good thing my work health plan covers me for unlimited treatment! :thumbsup:
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:57 pm

I have lower back pain....well closer to the butt.....it's related to dealing with schmucks. Lol.

To those with REAL back issues....get better soon. I have a cervical neck spasm caused by a collision many years ago.....guy smashed into the back of my patrol vehicle. Some days it gives me a headache so bad I want to scream. When I massage the area you can actually feel and hear the tendon/muscle snapping. I gross people out by cracking my neck to release the pressure. :twisted: It really echoes in quiet elevators. :smirk:
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

pascalywood1
Rookie Member

Postby pascalywood1 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:39 pm

48highlander wrote:
Shawshank wrote:It is nice when you have a good doctor. A few years ago, I hurt my back while deadlifting, I went to the doctor and she told me to stop weight lifting for life and that I should take up running instead.

I would have found a new doctor and a better deadlifting coach. :P

X2 :mrgreen:

In 2009 during the training for Op Podium I started to suffer from terrible lower back pain, I couldnt hold a standing shooting position for more than a few seconds. Went to the physio, he told me my right leg is slightly longer than the left one. He gave me orthesis to put in my boots and suggested that I do core and back strenghtening exercises. The pain gradually went away.

Few years later my ex kung-fu teacher (who is also a massotherapist) treated me for an knee injury I made during class, during the treatment he said I got a slight scoliosis. Its quite likely that the longer leg influenced my posture, which slowly deformed my spine.

Point is, having a leg thats 1cm longer than the other might not sound like much but can cause problems in the long run.
January 2014 - Applied for Provincial Correctionnal Services
March 2014 - Selected for the written exams
March 2014 - Completed the written exams
May 2014- Got the results, PASSED!

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:04 pm

FINALLY got an appointment for a surgical consult....almost 5 months after this all started.
Our healthcare system is a fucking joke.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:52 pm

meathead1 wrote:FINALLY got an appointment for a surgical consult....almost 5 months after this all started.
Our healthcare system is a fucking joke.

There is an unfortunate shortage of physicians in Canada. (ratio is about 2 Doctors per 1000 patients).
I have a family member than is in a similar situation, waiting 4+ months for a shoulder operation.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:11 pm

It's not the shortage of doctors. I've seen more than my share of doctors regarding this issue.
The healthcare system works, as long as you don't need to use it beyond minor things ie: getting prescriptions issued to you. It's when you need something major, like spinal surgery, that you realize just how shitty our healthcare system really is. I never thought about it before, but I totally advocate for 2 tier healthcare now.