plantar fasciitis

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Re: plantar fasciitis

Postby GoodWitness » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:05 pm

VanSmack wrote:I've never had a foot pursuit go down where we lightly jogged at the beginning, then stretched, and then did the real chase.

For some reason this made me think of this commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfgonv2UvSs

Mississauga86
Rookie Member

Postby Mississauga86 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:03 pm

Thought I'd revive this thread and introduce myself as the new member of the PF club. Son of a gun. Currently taking Diclofenac as prescribed by my doctor and using a rolling pin to massage my right foot.

Hired Goon
Sage Member

Postby Hired Goon » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:51 pm

I developed it recently as well. Got orthotics and they helped somewhat. I think that Dr. Scholl's helped me more and didn't have the price tag.

The thing that helped the most was wearing the splint /sock at night. Really helps with the morning pain. It keeps your foot streched out all night. Most people point their toes when they sleep and the healing develops in an unnatural position, and first steps indo all the over night healing (as mentioned above in 2012).
Hired Goon

Jframer7
Seasoned Member

Postby Jframer7 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:51 pm

Hired Goon wrote:I developed it recently as well. Got orthotics and they helped somewhat. I think that Dr. Scholl's helped me more and didn't have the price tag.

The thing that helped the most was wearing the splint /sock at night. Really helps with the morning pain. It keeps your foot streched out all night. Most people point their toes when they sleep and the healing develops in an unnatural position, and first steps indo all the over night healing (as mentioned above in 2012).

Yeah I just developed it in my left foot in the last couple weeks. Annoying. Funny this thread just got revived. I have been stepping on a golf ball and rolling it around, but I might have to try the splint out.

But I think it came on from doing a few squad runs in shitty shoes. I was going to run the ezio on Thursday but having second thoughts because of this plantar fasciitis.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:39 pm

VanSmack wrote:The golf ball is alright,I got an accuball mini from the running room, about the same size but has a bunch of little knows all over it to deeply knead the tissue and break down scar tissue more effectively. They run about $14 at running room.

My left foot slowly got better but then I got it in my right foot last summer and really have only had it start to improve in the last few weeks as I have been almost completely off my feet recovering from an unrelated surgery. They're pretty shitty, lingering injuries that really take forever to heal and make you generally miserable when they're flaring up. I find that if I'm not working then I'll wear flip flops or something similar and that typically gives me the least amount of discomfort if I need to walk around anywhere.

Have you tried doctor prescribed custom made orthotics?

I have been battling achilles tendonitis for years and the orthotics made it so I could walk again. I strained my plantar facia one weekend and it was horrible. I went for active release and it really helped as well.

The belt/boots we wear really effs us up. My achilles tendonitis was directly related to the duty-belt/boot combination so says my physio therapist.

Hired Goon
Sage Member

Postby Hired Goon » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:16 pm

Jframer7 wrote:Yeah I just developed it in my left foot in the last couple weeks. Annoying. Funny this thread just got revived. I have been stepping on a golf ball and rolling it around, but I might have to try the splint out.

But I think it came on from doing a few squad runs in shitty shoes. I was going to run the ezio on Thursday but having second thoughts because of this plantar fasciitis.

They have great splints at the Running Room and were really helpful.

I find I actually feel better after running with good insoles. So get to the Ezio run. I'll be there. It's slow a team run set by the pace of the slowest recruit. And......I"ll just stop there.
Hired Goon

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:28 pm

VanSmack wrote:I have orthotics, and they help with the discomfort, but they aren't really helpful with regards to healing. Even with the orthotics you can still get PF from over training, although they do make it a bit harder for it to develop. Just make sure you're giving your feet recovery days and that you pay attention to your stride, etc., especially if you have higher than average arches, as that makes you predisposed to developing it more easily.

I have no arches....my feet are basically flat....which was part of the problem as I was basically pronating all the time. The insoles corrected this issue, which has helped my knees and also my hips to some extent as well.

I will heed your advice and use my foot ball more often.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:50 pm

The golf ball is alright,I got an accuball mini from the running room, about the same size but has a bunch of little knows all over it to deeply knead the tissue and break down scar tissue more effectively. They run about $14 at running room.

I'm starting to suffer from this as well. I've been using a lacrosse ball to help alleviate it and stretch my calf muscles more.

I think I need to go get me one of those accuballs.....
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

Loadie
Grand Poobah

Postby Loadie » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:54 pm

I have a ball, got it from WCB, works great. My feet have been screwed up for quite some time. My foot was crushed in a C130 quite a few years asbo and hasn't gotten any better. The ball does help out for sure.