plantar fasciitis

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
TwE@k
Seasoned Member

plantar fasciitis

Postby TwE@k » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:55 pm

I did a quick search and there are a few discussions on the topic but nothing specific (mostly related to new runners). Any BL'ers have this problem/found a good way to deal with it? I have always had it but didn't really know what the hell was wrong until very recently (Guy in the Office started to develop it in the sandbox and it has only got worse). I just want some feedback on what works and what doesn't. I won't have a chance to head to the doc for a week or so and my heel is killing right now.
WADDAYA MEAN I CAN'T TAKE OFF MY SWEADDER??? I'M HAWT!!!! - Drunken Mr.Rogers

26point2
Rookie Member

Re: plantar fasciitis

Postby 26point2 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:35 pm

I've heard of some kind of small pad shaped like a donut, it goes on the centre of where the "spur" is keep the pressure of your body weight off it. Not sure it that counts as orthotics though. Buddy at work just had that.
"Sic Itur ad Astra"
"Such is the Pathway to the Stars"

Tinman
Grand Poobah

Postby Tinman » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:31 pm

I developed it when I increased my run about 10 years ago. I found the small Dr. Scholls half insoles made a world of difference. I ended up wearing them in my duty boots as well back when I was on the road. They look like this:

Say what you mean. Do what you say.

Springbok
Rookie Member

Postby Springbok » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:54 pm

I started working out, running, and doing everyday stuff barefoot, or wearing minimalist shoes. This resolved my PF issue. Now obviously being on shift one has to wear the issue boots/shoes, but so be it.
There are 2 rules in life:
1.) Never tell anybody everything you know.
2.) .....

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:31 pm

Last edited by mack_silent on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Snowman
Rookie Member

Postby Snowman » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:13 pm

Had this before, killer pain especially first thing in the morning.
First thing I did after talking to others that had it. Ditched all my "cheap footware". Went out & bought a really good pair of boots & replaced the insoles. Replace you boots every year. Only buy good quality runners. Actually Dr Scholls makes a decent walking shoe/sneaker that supports your arch. They don't last long as the sole wears out fast, but they are the most comfortable thing I have found to date.
I try to buy the lightest & most flexible boot/shoes I can get, but the arch support seemed to be the fix for me.
Mine seemed to be caused by shoes/boots with poor arch support. Have not have it return in years. Good luck
Beer Me !

dira necessitas
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby dira necessitas » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:26 pm

You can buy new insoles or more cushioned shoes which support and stababize your foot real well in which case your feet will stay weak and still be prone to this type of overuse injury... or you can start using minimalist foot wear and jog/run with a fore foot strike and build up the strength in your feet and after some time avoid this injury altogether.

Google barefoot running and vibram five fingers and start reading. Good luck.
I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but let's take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:41 pm

Plantar fasciitis usually results when the longitudinal arch of the foot starts to collapse or "fall", and that puts a strain on the plantar fascia, the connective tissue that runs along the bottom of your foot from the toes to the heel. In plantar fasciitis small tears develop when the fascia pulls away from the calcaneus (the heel bone) and that's what causes the pain.

If your shoe doesn't provide enough support for the arch, it will collapse and strain the fascia with every step, especially when running. The reason it hurts worse first thing in the morning is because while you're asleep and there's no strain on your foot (unless you sleepwalk, I guess! :D ) the small tears start to heal, and when you first stand up you tear them all over again.

If you provide support for the arch it usually helps with the pain, by taking the strain off the plantar fascia. You can try more supportive shoes with a firmer arch, a soft orthotic like Dr. Scholl's, etc., Spenco sport supports are pretty good. Sometimes you need a custom orthotic - most decent medical plans will pay for them if a doctor prescribes it. Just a flat foam insert won't help much, because it's the arch that needs to be raised to get your foot back into the proper shape.

I used to make/sell orthotics. When your feet hurt, you hurt all over.

TwE@k
Seasoned Member

Postby TwE@k » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:02 am

I was talking about this with my GF's brother this week (He plays a few different sports at the University level) and he has the same problem. From what he/everyone here says, it sounds like I need to go get some good orthotics. I will probably pick up a new set of boots for work too. Mine are at the end of their life so I am sure that isn't helping the situation any. You don't realise how much a small foot issue can hinder so many other activities in your day to day life :banghead:
WADDAYA MEAN I CAN'T TAKE OFF MY SWEADDER??? I'M HAWT!!!! - Drunken Mr.Rogers

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:17 am

Another thing that can help is wearing supportive shoes (not floppy bunny slippers) at home - if you usually slip your shoes off and walk around in socks, try wearing a pair of runners around the house, not just while working out, working, etc.

Kurto
Rookie Member

Postby Kurto » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:53 pm

A simple exercise that can be done at home stepping on a tune-up ball

http://www.yogatuneup.com/product/thera ... balls-tote

I started using these in a yoga class about 6 months ago and they're amazing!! Simply roll them up and down your feet and then step down on the balls to preform a myofascial stretch on the pressure points of your foot If you don't want to buy the tune-ups just use a tennis ball to start.. And check out youtube.. There's a ton of vids on plantar release.
" Expectations are premeditated disappointments "

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:50 pm

now that you have the injury, time is your best friend as hard it is to stop running until thins are better. I custom set of orthotics will likely take care of the problem.

d.english
Rookie Member

Postby d.english » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:04 am

I have issues with it as well, my dr gave me a night splint a sock looking thing that pulled my toes towards my knees worked well and eliminated the morning nail walk.

What kept it away was while driving in the patrol truck and other wise i positioned my left foot against the door jamb/hood release/ebrake keeping my foot from relaxing to a flat position. I have had little issue since, I have stopped wearing the sock a night and simply hang my feet over the end of the bed keeping my plantar tendons/ligaments stretched.

I do wear superfeet insoles (40$) which are very good and hold your foot in a neutral position eliminating alot of knee and hip pain for me while on duty. I used to make cork insoles for ski boots in my past career also superfeet brand and are designed around an un-weighted corrected foot form. The sole brand do have one issue in my mind and experience, you heat them in the oven and then stand on them. The problem with this is your foot is in the non neutral or problem position(arch fallen/pronated/supanated/mortons neuroma pinched) while the insole is being formed thus the insole continues to hold your foot in said position for the duration of the life of the insole. not correcting the problem nor providing the comfort you may need.]

As well for the cyclists out there if you find issue with this, adjusting the spd or cleat position back on your cycling shoe will help balance your pedal stroke. The cleat should be below or just behind the ball of your foot, most people have slightly different sized feet this could be toe length or arch length which would put the cleats in different spots on each shoe.

D

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:05 pm

VanSmack wrote:I have it in my left foot, I think it was a result of high arches and changing from the tried and true shoes I'd been running in for a few years (same model, not same pair, I change them out every 500 miles or so), to a pair of minimalist shoes that I thought I'd try out. The reason I thought about changing was that I was having IT band issues, which as it turns out were more related to over training and not focusing on my stride than it was with my shoes. I gave about three weeks in those shoes and now I'm about 3 months or so removed from wearing them but still getting the pain especially in the mornings, although being forced not to run over the last month has caused improvement. I went to an orthepeadist, and was fitted for insoles, and was also recommended to get a night splint. I have one, I wear it once and a while, since I can't get up and deal with the baby if I can't walk around in the splint, but I do find it helps, a bit.

I've had wicked high arches my whole life, but never any problems with it until this year. It seems when you over train it's just a domino effect that has new issues springing up as you try to eliminate the old ones. Take those rest days kids, especially when you get on the other side of thirty, the body just can't bounce back like it used to.

Would a better stretching regime have helped? Assuming you don't stretch after running.
K division.