Mountain Bike Discussion

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
mack_silent
Rookie Member

Re: Mountain Bike Discussion

Postby mack_silent » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:22 pm

Last edited by mack_silent on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:23 pm

Last edited by mack_silent on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

d.english
Rookie Member

Postby d.english » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:21 am

29 is yes new and i originally was a bit of a skeptic.

I have since then had a couple out for a proper test ride (thrashing) and i must say i am impressed if i were buying a hard tail tomorrow it would be a 29. They are especially good for faster single track like what is in southern Ontario lots of fun the only down side in my mind is to an aggressive all mountain rider the only issue being torsional stiffness of the wheels and fork.

The only disadvantage being the wheels and fork being larger they flex a lot more when put under large side loads in corners, to over come this problem the weight gain using current technology negates the advantage of the larger wheel.

this will likely change in the near future.

if there are any skiers reading this it is very similar to the introduction of side cut, fat skis, and the newest reverse camber. ( a lot of resistence at the introduction but has improved skiing greatly)

cheers

D

El Conejo
Grand Poobah

Postby El Conejo » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:29 am

Fair play.

I'm riding in the Rockies and the few times I rode one found the bike harder to turn and not "twitchy" enough for my liking. Your mileage may vary I guess.

klink1983
Rookie Member

Postby klink1983 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:20 pm

mack_silent wrote:Figured since I didn't see a thread on biking; I'd create one.
Would be great to see people posting good trails / parks to ride.
Newbies (such as myself) can come and ask questions on gear.

Will start off with asking advice on buying a new mountain bike:
I'm looking for a Hard tail cross country style mountain bike in the $ 500-600 price range.
The 3 brand/models I've researched and like are:
-Trek 3500 Disc $ 499

-Jamis Trail x2 $ 499 (on sale 399)

-GT Avalance 3.0 $ 539

Any suggestions?

Just to comment on the first Trek you posted: I had a 6000 back in the day. My Dad upgraded so I got that one. Unfotunately that was stolen and I used my share of the insurance money from our shed being cleared out to buy a Giant ATX860. $1400 at that time without disc brakes.lol 1 year later someone tried to sell my friend the frame from my stolen 6000. My friend took it from him with a bit of force (we were 14 at the time) and he brought it to my Dad who confirmed with the original receipt that it was mine. Dad had to surrender it to the insurance company because we received a cash payout, and a number of other bike thefts were solved. :)

Currently I am running a Giant XTC2 (the white one) and I love it. It is a 2009 that I bought in 2010 to save a few hundred bucks (helmet and bike for under $1000). It is brand new looking because it sat for a year on account of courses from work, and knee surgery.

I will always ride Giant (sounds bad.lol) after my current bike and my last one, but I would also highly suggest Specialized and Trek.
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of creatures that Chuck Norris has allowed to live.....

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:02 am

So Mac is selling off 4 of our Specialized Rockhopper patrol bikes. If anyone wants a link to the auction site, feel free to PM. Sizes range from 17" to 21" frames.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

rookie17
Rookie Member

Postby rookie17 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:34 pm

I just picked up a 2011 KHS alite 1000 for $100 off sticker ($850 for $750) for being last years model. When I started looking for my bike I told myself I was going to spend $500 and maybe $600 max. I found out quickly that this was going to be impossible because after talking with friends there was a list of things I knew i needed (100mm fork with lockout, hydro disc brakes, 9 or 10 speed with deore derailleurs or equivalent (SRAM), didn't want a suntour or rst blaze fork). I settled for a RST Omega oil fork with lockout (witch is probably the most important thing for uphill biking / biking to work), 9 x 3 speed with deore rear and bengal hydro brakes.

Initially I was pumped and thought the bike was exactly what I needed. I got a 21" frame because its the only one they had, and although I can stand over the top tube without hitting the junk, I would in the future opt for a bike about 2 or 3 inches smaller in the frame, as you can always make it bigger with a new stem or seat tube.

I started riding some pretty technical single track recently and noticed that the stock tires aren't grippy enough around corners so I'm already starting to upgrade things about a month after purchase. I will also be upgrading to clipless pedals and shoes as when its wet out I seem to slide off the normal pedals quite often.

If I could do it all over again, I would just save up for a $1000-$1300 hardtail with very solid components and fork. Since I've started riding again though, I have my sights set on a decent full suspension bike for next year because I really miss hitting drops and jumps and having that extra protection for the frame not breaking. Hope this helps the OP.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:47 pm

If you want good mud tires but can't find the perfect ones, buy the closest possible match and shave them down with an electric clipper. I used to do that all the time when I was racing.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

M_Praught
Rookie Member

Postby M_Praught » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:36 am

1) Buy a frame that is comfortable and suited for your riding style
2) don't worry so much about components those are all upgradable when you are so inclined
all components work basically the same and if your just getting into riding you won't notice much of a difference between a $100 front shock or a $1000 front shock

there is a decent website for used bikes which you can normally get a pretty good deal on

PM me and i'll let you know. I'm not sure if I can post it one here

M_Praught
Rookie Member

Postby M_Praught » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:39 am

rookie17 wrote:I started riding some pretty technical single track recently and noticed that the stock tires aren't grippy enough around corners so I'm already starting to upgrade things about a month after purchase. I will also be upgrading to clipless pedals and shoes as when its wet out I seem to slide off the normal pedals quite often.

After you get clipless go to an abandoned soccer field and ride around for an hour or so practice starting and stopping, will hurt a lot less and be a lot less embarrassing than at your first red light when you try to unclip