Running Help

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
edewijn
Rookie Member

Re: Running Help

Postby edewijn » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:06 am

Hi all,

I am training to run the shuttle run!! been training for awhile now running on treadmill and outside in the summer. Also doing weights and cycling when i can. I like to think i am ready but still i am nervous. I noticed one time when i was running in the gym back and forth to simulate the run my legs felt all wobbly and shaky after not that long? does anyone have any tips on preparing for this? is there something i should be doing to fix the wobbly legs??

thanks

26point2
Rookie Member

Postby 26point2 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:48 am

edewijn wrote:Hi all,

I am training to run the shuttle run!! been training for awhile now running on treadmill and outside in the summer. Also doing weights and cycling when i can. I like to think i am ready but still i am nervous. I noticed one time when i was running in the gym back and forth to simulate the run my legs felt all wobbly and shaky after not that long? does anyone have any tips on preparing for this? is there something i should be doing to fix the wobbly legs??

thanks

Are you using the actual beep test?
"Sic Itur ad Astra"
"Such is the Pathway to the Stars"

GPZ
Grand Poobah

Postby GPZ » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:46 pm

26point2 wrote:
edewijn wrote:Hi all,

thanks

Are you using the actual beep test?

It means your legs are tired, same as if you do a lot of bench presses in a row you'll get shaky in the pecs and shoulders. Keep up the intensity and the legs will get stronger.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:03 am

I have to do way more cardio. Ill be 40 this year and heavy weights and building mass is starting to take its toll on my body.

Today I am going for a run. :twitch:
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:36 am

A.T.R. wrote:I have to do way more cardio. Ill be 40 this year and heavy weights and building mass is starting to take its toll on my body.

Today I am going for a run. :twitch:

I like the smiley face you used. I have a theory on running. Anyone who tells you they love to run - they are lying. I like the idea of running. I like it when I am finished a run. That in between part sucks. I have a truck for a reason. (That being said, my wife is out training for her next marathon right now.)
K division.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:21 pm

Cardio is what will save our health during the Policing career.

Weights and building huge mass is great when you are on teams and want to look the part, but I find with life and training, there is only time for one of them mostly, so I need to drastically change how I train.

I don't mind running at all, but I feel like I am back in my 20's training for the PREP all over again. It's friggin hard.

I ran a mile today. A nice easy pace considering the weather.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:36 pm

A.T.R. wrote:Cardio is what will save our health during the Policing career.

Weights and building huge mass is great when you are on teams and want to look the part, but I find with life and training, there is only time for one of them mostly, so I need to drastically change how I train.

I don't mind running at all, but I feel like I am back in my 20's training for the PREP all over again. It's friggin hard.

I ran a mile today. A nice easy pace considering the weather.

I understand the need for running. It is why I am running as an applicant. I don`t want to be that guy at police college and I don`t want to be a liability to a co-worker or myself.

I do grappling as a hobby and I know that I won`t gas a fast as people who are weaker than me. They have to put a lot more force against me than I have to put out. At the same time, if I were to be in a chase, I know I need something for when the grappling begins.
K division.

Whitebrown
Sage Member

Postby Whitebrown » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:24 pm

Might as well throw my plea for help in here after this morning's disappointment.

My current plan is to run 4 times a week for now, given my shift pattern each run can't be on set days.
1st run: Generally following the couch to 5k program, so this week will be 3 minute run, 90 sec walk, 5 minute run, 2.5 minute walk (which I feel is too long, so I trim down to 90 seconds).
2nd run: Sprint intervals 200m at about a 7-8 level, 30 seconds walk. Repeat 10 times.
3rd run: Depends how I feel, either distance or more speed intervals.
4th run: 1.5 mile test

I have no problem getting my lap time under 2:00, my problem is doing it consistantly for six laps.

26point2
Rookie Member

Postby 26point2 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:03 am

Whitebrown wrote:Might as well throw my plea for help in here after this morning's disappointment.

My current plan is to run 4 times a week for now, given my shift pattern each run can't be on set days.
1st run: Generally following the couch to 5k program, so this week will be 3 minute run, 90 sec walk, 5 minute run, 2.5 minute walk (which I feel is too long, so I trim down to 90 seconds).
2nd run: Sprint intervals 200m at about a 7-8 level, 30 seconds walk. Repeat 10 times.

I have no problem getting my lap time under 2:00, my problem is doing it consistantly for six laps.

You're on the right track with the couch to 5k program. Try to get to 10:1 run/walk, since you want to be able to run the 1.5 in about 10 right? I'm assuming your goal is improving this?

The other three runs I see you plan to do are all fast, you only need to do one a week. Whether it be intervals, the 1.5 test, or tempo run. I would try to fit a long run once a week also. The quicker runs rotate week to week. The other two runs should be easy and just for mileage, and working on your run/walk plan. Something like this:

Week 1: Easy 3k, Tempo 3k, Easy 3k, Slow 5-6k
Week 2: Easy 3k, 200m intervals, Easy 3k, Slow 5-6k
Week 3: Easy 3k, 1.5 test, Easy 3k, Slow 5-6k

Repeat, and increase distance if desired. Move the intervals up to 400m, 600m ...

At my peak for training for a marathon, I run 6x a week, and I still only run a long distance once, and a fast run twice a week at the most. Half the runs any given week are easy. Two more reasons to slow it down a bit, is recovery and injury. Hope this helps.
"Sic Itur ad Astra"

Whitebrown
Sage Member

Postby Whitebrown » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:59 am

26point2 wrote:
Whitebrown wrote:Might as well throw my plea for help in here after this morning's disappointment.

You're on the right track with the couch to 5k program. Try to get to 10:1 run/walk, since you want to be able to run the 1.5 in about 10 right? I'm assuming your goal is improving this?

The other three runs I see you plan to do are all fast, you only need to do one a week. Whether it be intervals, the 1.5 test, or tempo run. I would try to fit a long run once a week also. The quicker runs rotate week to week. The other two runs should be easy and just for mileage, and working on your run/walk plan. Something like this:

Week 1: Easy 3k, Tempo 3k, Easy 3k, Slow 5-6k
Week 2: Easy 3k, 200m intervals, Easy 3k, Slow 5-6k
Week 3: Easy 3k, 1.5 test, Easy 3k, Slow 5-6k

Repeat, and increase distance if desired. Move the intervals up to 400m, 600m ...

At my peak for training for a marathon, I run 6x a week, and I still only run a long distance once, and a fast run twice a week at the most. Half the runs any given week are easy. Two more reasons to slow it down a bit, is recovery and injury. Hope this helps.

Looks like a solid plan, thank you. 10 minutes would be awesome, honestly I'd be happy with 11:30.

Only question I have is about the tempo run. I would assume it's at a pace at or above the 1.5m goal pace?

26point2
Rookie Member

Postby 26point2 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:13 am

1.5mi would be your all out fastest. Tempo because it's a little further will be a little bit slower than that. You want to have a nice even pace, but a little faster than the easy runs. In terms of heart rate (max. heart rate = 220 - your age), something like this (I'm guessing at the numbers):

Easy = 60% of max. heart rate
Tempo = 80% of max. heart rate
1.5mi /intervals = 90% of max. heart rate

Or, imagine running with a buddy:

Easy = have almost a normal conversation
Tempo = say a few words at a time
1.5mi / intervals = can barely sputter a word or two

Hills are another great thing to train on. Find the steepest hill nearby that's got about a 600m stretch or more and do your intervals up that. Walk back down to re-set, repeat as desired. The next interval you do on something flat will feel like you can fly.
"Sic Itur ad Astra"

Whitebrown
Sage Member

Postby Whitebrown » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:57 pm

Awesome. Thanks again.

26point2
Rookie Member

Postby 26point2 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:02 pm

No problem. Let me know how it goes.
"Sic Itur ad Astra"

Whitebrown
Sage Member

Postby Whitebrown » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:16 am

Well, I think I've turned a corner.

Saturday did an easy 8k, running 3 minutes, walking 1 minute. That was after a week of doing 3k runs, two easy, 1 tempo. The run intervals seemed to fly by and near the end I just kept going.

Today I did just over 5k at 5 min run, 1 min walk. Finished in 34:31, though I wonder if I could have shaved at least a 90 seconds off that had there not been hills.

Anyway, I'm noticing that my endurance has improved dramatically. Before running 3 minutes straight used to be a challenge now it's no problem. And even though 5 minutes is a bit challenging, it's not as hard as when I started doing the 3 min/1 walk.

Still need to get my speed up, but it's pretty encouraging to see that my running intervals are getting longer.