Healthy social life?

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
Crown-Loyal
Rookie Member

Healthy social life?

Postby Crown-Loyal » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:33 pm

Well I knew before getting a job with a LE agency that LE jobs (shift work/nature of the job) would affect my social life. I had a wake up call today at the doctor. I went for a basic checkup, and got a therapy session. A little bit of our conversation:

Doc "So, what do you do outside of work"
Me "well, I play hockey"
Doc "oh? with who?
me "I play on a beer league team with guys from work"
Doc "what else do you do on your days off?"
me "ummm go to the range with guys from work, go for drinks with co-workers"
Doc "do you do anything without people from work?"

That got me thinking. due to shift work I hardly see my non-work friends, except about once a month when I might have a friday or saturday night off. I'm in my early 20's, and single. I can see how married with kids you could spend your days off with your family. But in my situation, if I go to a bar on a weekday it is usually full of toothless hookers and the town drunks. (nothing wrong with toothless hookers)

What do other young single LEO's do for fun? There is only so much time one can spend at the gym or playing COD blackops. :drinking:
PROTECTION - SERVICE - INTEGRITY ("Service with a Smile" was a close runner up)

TwE@k
Seasoned Member

Re: Healthy social life?

Postby TwE@k » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:20 pm

You pretty much said it all man.....Gym and Black Ops :lol: I am pretty sure most of my non-work/non-LEO friends hate my guts now. I have a GF so I like to spend time with her/get in my hobbies on my days off......really only leaves me with a few hours here and there with all of the day to day crap (shopping/laundry/cleaning) thrown in. It really becomes a life style.............I am starting to think I should have been a bucket head :((
WADDAYA MEAN I CAN'T TAKE OFF MY SWEADDER??? I'M HAWT!!!! - Drunken Mr.Rogers

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:33 pm

TwE@k wrote:You pretty much said it all man.....Gym and Black Ops :lol: I am pretty sure most of my non-work/non-LEO friends hate my guts now. I have a GF so I like to spend time with her/get in my hobbies on my days off......really only leaves me with a few hours here and there with all of the day to day crap (shopping/laundry/cleaning) thrown in. It really becomes a life style.............I am starting to think I should have been a bucket head :((

Just admit it, you GTL...bro.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

TwE@k
Seasoned Member

Postby TwE@k » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:50 pm

gotchya wrote:
TwE@k wrote:You pretty much said it all man.....Gym and Black Ops :lol: I am pretty sure most of my non-work/non-LEO friends hate my guts now. I have a GF so I like to spend time with her/get in my hobbies on my days off......really only leaves me with a few hours here and there with all of the day to day crap (shopping/laundry/cleaning) thrown in. It really becomes a life style.............I am starting to think I should have been a bucket head :((

Just admit it, you GTL...bro.

Sumo_CPO
Seasoned Member

Postby Sumo_CPO » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:11 am

Crown-Loyal wrote:What do other young single LEO's do for fun? There is only so much time one can spend at the gym or playing COD blackops. :drinking:

Personally, I don't hang out with the folks I work with, since I despise them with a passion.

Oh, BTW......some of them are members of this forum. HAI GUYZ!!!!! :wave:
Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f**k the prom queen.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

TwE@k
Seasoned Member

Postby TwE@k » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:40 am

Sumo_CPO wrote:
Crown-Loyal wrote:What do other young single LEO's do for fun? There is only so much time one can spend at the gym or playing COD blackops. :drinking:

Personally, I don't hang out with the folks I work with, since I despise them with a passion.

Oh, BTW......some of them are members of this forum. HAI GUYZ!!!!! :wave:

Hey man.......you gotta call em' like you see em' :twitch:

boatgirl
Rookie Member

Postby boatgirl » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:12 pm

It's not just a LEO thing, I work really funky shifts right now, and I don't spend any time with people I don't work with. The most social I've been in months was the two staff parties I went to (one for work and one with another company I work with a lot). Again, if I had a boyfriend/husband or kids, I'm sure it would be different, but very few of my friends can accept that I work bizzaro days and hours.
E Division - Vancouver Island
Troop 17: March 7-August 27, 2012

Jframer7
Seasoned Member

Postby Jframer7 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:59 pm

argyll wrote:

but if you have a girlfriend then why do you have to spend time doing shopping/laundry/cleaning ?? :ponder: :ponder:

No kidding I have the wife do all the cooking and cleaning while I am at work so on days off I can spend more time with her....and video games and beer and poker...

nyte ryder
Rookie Member

Postby nyte ryder » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:12 pm

I'm single, and with the exception of 2 coworkers, I never hang out with anyone that's related to my work. Most of my friends are from my past jobs, and school, etc. I like having that balance.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:26 pm

In my spare time, I do go out with my squad mates.....(well a couple of squads hang out). We enjoy going for wings and beer here and there and one of my partners holds a pool party at his house in the summer.

Many of my friends are in the same line of work and work crazy hours like moi, so we are all pretty accepting of scheduling. I have a few really close friends and we try to meet for coffee and dinner whenever we can. In fact, a gf of mine and I are going away for New Years. Hubby is working and I'm off and I figure a girl's weekend is where its at!

I'm also very lucky to have a close friend who enjoys biking and such with me. He's trying to get me into snowboarding (ummm thank gawd for medical benefits!) and we hang out and see how many bruises we can get while trail riding. LOL Some of the EFRT students (our student EMS team) have invited me to do some mountain biking in the spring, so I'll spend some time with them as well. With their medical training, I'm in good hands if I hit another tree like I did this summer! :((

When hubby and I are off, we try to do some hiking and such. We go to car shows, visit friends, etc. In the warmer months, we do some cruises with my Challenger club......when he's working I go on my own or ask a friend to be a co-pilot. I like having someone with me on my cruises.....makes it more fun when the car gets a little sideways! Damn sticky gas pedal! :twisted:

I like to balance my time off......I enjoy hanging with my co-workers, but I also need time where its people who have no attachment to my workplace at all. My Challenger crew is great for getting me out of "work mode"......man, I miss the smell of Goodyear smoke! :cry:
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

TPS
Rookie Member

Postby TPS » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:12 pm

I know with hubby he kind of lost all his old friends, mainly because of his shifts. On top of that they are all single and living the crazy life. But I would have to say all the guys hubby hangs out with are guys from work. Either after work they all go out to unwind, or on his off days he is sometimes out with the guys who live around us, or home with me and the kids. I think the main reason you do lose that connection to your friends is because of the shift work, and sometimes it's hard to just get that time to go out. You also see a lot at work (for those PO's) and the outside friends can't really understand or relate to it.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
Bertrand Russell
Carpe Diem Quam Minimum Credula Postero

RemingtonSteel
Veteran Member

Postby RemingtonSteel » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:46 am

I don't believe its healthy to hang out exclusively with Law enforcement officers. I always find time for my other friends (restaurant managers, respiratory therapists, veterinary techs etc.) The reality is with shift work, you also get a fair amount of time off (both days and nights), it's not impossible to find time for others, and frankly time with others I think helps keep your feet planted on solid ground. I have plenty of friends in various LE roles, but I believe the diversity of people in other occupations as friends is nice too. Sometimes it's good to just leave work and forget about it on your off days, enjoy other hobbies.
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:51 am

argyll wrote:

but if you have a girlfriend then why do you have to spend time doing shopping/laundry/cleaning ?? :ponder: :ponder:

Because he is whipped! WHIPPED I SAY!
"Hey dude you want to go to the knife shop?"
"No I can't....girlfriend doesn't want me buying more knives."
:dubious:

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:11 pm

As Chandler Bing would say "whuppah!" LOL
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."