Your Best time in 1.5 miles run?

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
greeline
Rookie Member

Re: Your Best time in 1.5 miles run?

Postby greeline » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:51 am

7mins 26secs is my best ever time. Slowly over the years I've tagged on a min.
"Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit"

machine4321
Rookie Member

Postby machine4321 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:28 am

You for real ??

I dont think ive ever heard of anyone doing it that fast.

MichaelJCaboose

Postby MichaelJCaboose » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:09 am

Dude, I was in a Bruce NRT competition with a guy formerly of JTF2 (i saw his resume - its legit) and he ONLY ran in 8:12....

Less you were JTF2, Delta, SAS or Prefontaine...I'm not biting....
Wake up, gear up, work, go home, eat, sleep, repeat.

greeline
Rookie Member

Postby greeline » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:35 am

Why is it you guys are so fast to call someone a liar? Just because a guy serves with jtf2 does not mean he will be good at running short distance fast, special forces training is all about distance and practical fitness. I don't see any use for a spec ops soldier to run fast over that short of distance.. The av 1.5 mile time in my old unit was 8:15, part of being a airborne soldier is to live for pt!

contact,waitout
Rookie Member

Postby contact,waitout » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:44 am

You PARA's are friggin nutter's, I can remember seeing you guys tabbing over Warcop. Fitness freaks!

MichaelJCaboose

Postby MichaelJCaboose » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:09 pm

What unit? 2 PARA?
Wake up, gear up, work, go home, eat, sleep, repeat.

greeline
Rookie Member

Postby greeline » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:06 pm

1 para

Mark P
Rookie Member

Postby Mark P » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:06 pm

When I run outside I just run as fast as I can in correlation with the distance. If I am going long distance then I know I am not going to be able to run hard. But 1.5 mile should be a very good speed. Just go as fast as you can and then slow it down a bit if you get worn out. Then kick it up again for the last 1/4 mile.

I just realized recently that treadmill running was slowing me down. I was paying too much attention to the speed and time and never actually tried to go for my best. I just took 40 seconds of my 1.5 mile time just from switching to outside running. New PB 9:31 outdoors with some uphill portions.

hockeypucks
Rookie Member

Postby hockeypucks » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:25 pm

Quick question.

Are there any effective ways to get rid of a cramp right at the bottom of the rib cage? This happens frequently when I run. I try spacing my eating to see if that is the problem, but even if I go 3-4 hours without a meal, I still get them.
Any suggestions?
Thanks for your time
:thumbsup:

Dirty Harry
Rookie Member

Postby Dirty Harry » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:08 am

hockeypucks wrote:Quick question.

Are there any effective ways to get rid of a cramp right at the bottom of the rib cage? This happens frequently when I run. I try spacing my eating to see if that is the problem, but even if I go 3-4 hours without a meal, I still get them.
Any suggestions?
Thanks for your time

This reminds me that I sometimes feel a pain just below my right shoulder blade. I attribute it to carrying a bit too much weight around my mid-upper section (weight currently 192lbs., 5ft. 9in.) and the constant up and down while jogging just aggravates it. Otherwise it is never a problem during any of my other workouts, just running. Any Internet doctors out there?

DH
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Nakawe
Rookie Member

Postby Nakawe » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:54 am

hockeypucks wrote:Quick question.

Any suggestions?
Thanks for your time

I'm no internet doctor but this sounds like just a regular side stitch to me. I'm a distance runner, very use to running long slow distances but if i'm working on shorter distances but at faster a pace I find that I get side stitches a lot...when that happens I just slow the pace down a little (or come to a complete stop), belly breathe (deep breathing in through nose out through mouth) and I raise my right arm (usually always happens on my right side) to stretch it out a little.

I never get side stitches when I do my long slow distance running because my running form is more natural and comfortable. When I'm working on speed, I find that I don't pay as much attention to my breathing or form as much....my focus is more directed to my watch and pace. Just pay attention to your form and breathing....this is something that will take a little practise...

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:25 pm

I used to get side stitches every time I ran. I got some awesome advise from a seasoned runner. Everyone has their own breathing pattern. I found that whenever I got a side stitch, I switch up my breathing so the inhale would be on the opposite front foot stride. So if prior to getting the stitch, I was inhaling on my right foot landing, I'd switch it up to my left foot. It worked for me.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

contact,waitout
Rookie Member

Postby contact,waitout » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:11 pm

Quick question.

Any suggestions?
Thanks for your time

Crunch your upper body as if you are doing a sit-up while running. I find this technique clears the pain real fast. Also, you could try a rhythmic breathing pattern to prevent the pain (in through the nose for two strides then out through the mouth for one stride.)
Hope this helps. 88)

hockeypucks
Rookie Member

Postby hockeypucks » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:31 pm

Thank you very much for all your helpful suggestions. I will try them out.
Most of my runs have been for shorter distances and a quicker pace.
I do try to concentrate on my breathing while running. Usually in through the nose for 3 steps and out through the mouth for 3 steps, repeat.
Thanks again for the help!
:wave:

machine4321
Rookie Member

Postby machine4321 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:37 pm

I tried in for 3 strides and out for 3, but i found this to be very restircting if the pace was increased. Switching to 2 in and 2 out allowed me longer deeper breaths and i was able to up the pace.

On a side note, knocked off another 30 seconds from me PB. Down to 10:27.5, I will say though that it is 80% mental.