Melatonin

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
A.T.R.
King Poobah

Re: Melatonin

Postby A.T.R. » Fri May 27, 2011 6:57 pm

Wicked ass weird sublime dreams on melatonin.

Ive totally stopped taking it because of the headaches and grogginess.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

TPS
Rookie Member

Postby TPS » Fri May 27, 2011 8:21 pm

Was talking to a lady today who's into the herbal stuff, and she mentioned chamomile tea is also supposed to help in relaxing your body or warm milk (yuck). Plain old yogurt with bananas is also supposed to help. Whole wheat toast with honey, almonds, flaxseed, turkey, oatmeal, and pretty much anything starchy like potatoes.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
Bertrand Russell
Carpe Diem Quam Minimum Credula Postero

SHE-RA
Rookie Member

Postby SHE-RA » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:42 pm

I went weeks without proper sleep. (I averaged 3-4 hours a night.) I thought there wasn't any hope in the world for me (without resorting to prescription drugs) until a really good friend of mine recommend melatonin. I was very hesitant to try it as I'm very anti-drug. (I refuse to take Tylenol unless I have an excrutiating headache.) I did my research; found is was natural and decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did. It definitely helped me get back into a normal sleep cycle. I haven't used it since then and that was just about a month ago.

The negative:

While it did help me to fall asleep, it unfortunately didn't really help me to stay asleep for the night. Also, as A.T.R. mentioned, I found it did give me funky-a** dreams and made me groggy the next day. :twitch: Bah.

Since its all natural, its safer and better than prescription sedatives though. Worth a try.

Fella
Rookie Member

Postby Fella » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:39 pm

A certain brand of tea I buy has one called "sleepy time" it's kind of a minty type tea, and it does the trick. Makes you feel drowsy and warm on the inside.

HoboWithAShotgun
Veteran Member

Postby HoboWithAShotgun » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:49 pm

I use between 1 and 2 sublingual 3mg pills usually daily, and have been since January. They work like a charm, 20 minutes later i'm out. Once in a while you get crazy vivid dreams, but that shits interesting. I never wake up groggy or with any headaches. If I didnt use them, it would take me an hour at least to fall asleep. That is frustrating.

HTP
Rookie Member

Postby HTP » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:43 pm

can you get that over the counter
POLICE OFFICERS: Because firefighters need heros

Jim Street
Poobah Overlord

Postby Jim Street » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:44 pm

None of it's prescription, it's available everywhere.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

HoboWithAShotgun
Veteran Member

Postby HoboWithAShotgun » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:54 am

you can probably get it at any health food store. the stuff i have is about $8 for 90 tablets.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:26 pm

GNC has (or had) it.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:17 pm

A chain store started by a guy named Sam has it. I occasionally am taking 3 sublingual tabs but I'm not sure if it helps or not.

CO

Jim Street
Poobah Overlord

Postby Jim Street » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:11 am

you can buy it at Wal mart, it's not even $10.

I read an article somewhere that one doesn't need to take more than a 3mg tablet.

ZMA, earplugs and eyecovers work.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

facetha
Rookie Member

Postby facetha » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:22 am

Just a quick note on Melatonin (do not take this as medical advice, it’s just my research), not sure if anyone has mentioned this:

Melatonin is produced in the body naturally as the body’s biological clock is nearing sleep time; it is also produced when it gets darker at night time. The pills simply elevate the level of Melatonin in the body.

Because of the amount of Melatonin in these tablets, if you do not sleep past 8 hours or so, you will wake up with an excess of melatonin in your body, this causes groggy, sleepy or moody feeling. Also, it is not advisable to intake Melatonin when the sun is out or after over nights, you will confuse your body and cause an imbalance in melatonin levels, if you can block the sun out completely and sleep in a very dark room, you can use melatonin pills to switch biological clock when you come of mornings back to nights and vice versa.

I usually take it mixed with ZMA after days of multiple workouts or weightlifting; I would take melatonin if I didn’t feel sleepy enough to sleep at night, and only if I knew that I have 9 hours of sleep guaranteed.

When I first started using it, my dreams were so vivid; they woke me up all the time…

ryan.p
Rookie Member

Postby ryan.p » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:18 pm

I use the costco sleep aid almost every night as well. It turns my natural 1-2am bedtime into an 10-11 pm bedtime. Much nicer to get up and function with those extra hours of sleep. No groggy feeling for me. Vivid dreams are the only real "side effect" I have.
| Now on board with VanB's 5 step program |

Gard
King Poobah

Postby Gard » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:05 am

I live a life of virtue and clean living, so I sleep well.

Leaving shiftwork was the best thing ever to happen to me , sleep-wise.

I generally go to sleep by 10-10:30 and I'm up by 5:15. No more overwhelming desire for an afternoon nap like I used to have back when I was working shifts.

The drawback is that on Friday or Saturday night I'm usually nodding off by 10:00 PM, which is messed up because I easily get 8-9 hours sleep per night on the weekends.

Not much of a party animal anymore.
He who allows oppression, shares the crime.
26 + 6 = 1