Melatonin

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
mcdonaja
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: Melatonin

Postby mcdonaja » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:36 am

Painkillers and scotch work for me...
"Cops solve problems. Don't be a problem and you won't get solved."
Freedom Friday - Jan 06 2012 - 32 years 1 month

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:37 am

I'm a 100% abstainer, so the alcohol induced sleep isn't gonna happen.

CO

dwest
Rookie Member

Postby dwest » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:29 pm

TPS wrote:Don't rely on melatonin alone, and don't take it everyday either. It's a hormone produced by your body and if you constantly take the pills , your body will naturally stop producing it, which in turn will have the opposite effect. Especially when your on days!

Close but no cigar. After the age of 20 the human body no longer produces melatonin naturally. Recent study shows that its very beneficial to take melatonin on a regular basis (as long as its not a synthetic source). It's good for more than just sleep too! Your body will thank you for the melatonin intake!! If at first you don't get good results try using half a pill instead of a whole one. I had trouble sleeping on a whole one, tried a half and bam! worked like a charm.
A lot can be said about how a person deals with an offence. Kicking a person when they are down doesn't make you look any better!

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:56 pm

Jim Street wrote:Swear by it. 3 mg tabs, sublingual or regular a few different brands.

I also like this: http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.asp ... allpartial

I clicked on this link, and it was sounding pretty good....until I scrolled down to read the precautions :shock:

Warnings and Precautions:

Consult a physician prior to use if you have a hormonal disorder, diabetes, liver or kidney disease, cerebral palsy, seizure disorders, migraine, depression and/or hypertension or if you are taking blood pressure or sedative/hypnotic medications, carbidopa or drugs/ supplements with serotonergic activity. These may include, but are not limited to, L‑tryptophan, S-adenosylmethionine (SAMe), St. John's wort, antidepressants, pain killers, over‑the‑counter cough and cold medication containing dextromethorphan, anti-nausea medication and anti-migraine medication.
If symptoms persist continuously for more than 4 weeks (chronic insomnia), consult your physician.
Discontinue use and consult a physician if you show signs of weakness, oral ulcers or abdominal pain accompanied by severe muscle pain or if you experience skin changes. Some people may experience diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain.
Exercise caution if involved in activities requiring mental alertness.
Do not use if you are taking immunosuppressive drugs, if you have scleroderma or if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Do not drive or use machinery for 5 hours after taking melatonin.
Keep out of reach of children.

I wrote a while back about something I am on usually from Sept - June, that boosts your immune system, and nice sleeps come with the package :alright: I get off it in the summer because kids are out of school and they don't catch colds. Its called Shark Liver Oil from Bell You can google it. It helps prevent colds and/or really lessens symptoms if you do get one, plus lots of other fringe benefits. CO, you should give it a try. There's a money back guarantee with this product. If it doesn't help, just send empty bottle back and get full refund. I don't think you'll be disappointed :mrgreen:

Also, theres no funky dreams, and it starts working for you right away....

Most of the folks I recommend it to say the first thing they notice is their sleep is really good. It doesn't react with any medication except that it is a natural blood thinner (fish oils are) so if you are on blood thinning medication, you would need to check with your doctor.

Let us know if you do try it.....I haven't had anyone respond with negatives so far.
kopparoo2b

"Its not enough to just talk about it"

TMLF
Veteran Member

Postby TMLF » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:00 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:Sleepless night last night. I'm gonna keep taking it to see if perhaps it needs time to build up in my temple.

CO

Are there any distractions around when you're trying to sleep (TV, radio, etc)?

That's my downfall... and such an easy fix... :dubious:
-T

[Insert witty signature quote here...]

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:15 pm

Doesn't matter as to the surroundings. My mind won't stop racing. That's the problem. Stupid overactive but ineffective brain...

CO

cgy1
Rookie Member

Postby cgy1 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:58 pm

i have tried melatonin, valerian root, nytol, gravol, and i'm sure more that i can't think of right now. i started having problems when i was younger, as i grew up with ADHD, and took ritalin, which causes all kinds of sleeping problems, and was suggested to try melatonin (at that time, not available in canada) it worked like a charm, since then i have stopped taking ritalin, and stopped taking melatonin for a long time, however have developed sleeping problems over the past few years, and now have it on hand to use as needed.

as some people have refered to, melatonin is natural, as it is a hormone that your body naturally produces, the pills are a supplement for the hormone, where as valerian root (the other one that worked alright for me) is a plant that induces sleep, both worked alright for me, i like melatonin a little better though, i use between 3 and 9mg a night (recommended dose) usually it works quite well, but not always...

nytol didn't work well for me, the sleep wasn't great and it didn't make me tired like it should, and gravol did NOTHING for me... neither does drinking, it wakes me up, unless i get smashed and pass out

fox
Rookie Member

Postby fox » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:24 pm

Benadryl Nighttime (allergy), helps me sleep. It's not something which I take all the time, maybe 2 or 3 nights a week. I have sleeping problems, and this has been a pretty good temporary solution for me so far.
I have found that ZMA, helps me maintain a deep sleep and I feel well rested in the morning.

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:47 am

There are certain foods that actually make it harder to fall asleep (if eaten in the p.m.) OR you do fall asleep, but then wake up a few hrs later, and can't get back to sleep. Some of these foods are popcorn (especially ones with cheesy covering, like the Smart popcorn). Obviously, any caffeine type foods or beverages. Also pain killers have caffeine included in them, so that could have an impact if your taking "fever relievers" before bed. Alcohol ( as was mentioned) is also notorious for making you think you're sleepy, but then you wake up in the wee hrs and can't fall back asleep. Theres other foods out there you can google that you could be eating and not be aware of its effect on your sleep.

For another natural option to try, and something thats not "out there" regularely, is Cherry Juice. Most health food stores sell it and it has a lot of natural properties. The nice thing is its pretty cheap. Between $5-6 per bottle. Its 100% pure with nothing added. I find it a bit strong so I'll mix about 75mls of water to make 500mls of total drink.

You should aim for 2 full cups of juice per day for effects. I just fill up a water bottle. Its easy to drink because its so tastey.

One of the Fringe benefits besides all the antioxidants is it helps relieve joint pain, and induces restful sleep. You have to take it for a short while before you notice improvements but from experience (mine and other folks) it does work. Now I take the Shark Liver Oil as well, which really helps with that, and the Cherrey Juice I drink when I work out....but I do sleep like a baby with no wacky dreams or wakeups at night. I've taken certain supplements (in my quest for great health 88) ) and been plagued with wakeups and funky dreams.

I'm all better now :alright:
kopparoo2b

"Its not enough to just talk about it"

aka
Rookie Member

Postby aka » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:20 pm

Melatonin worked for me~ 3mg.

HTP is also said to be a natural sleep aid. Can be found in natural health food stores. Never tried it. I find it expensive.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:39 am

I take melatonin on nights and days....afternoons I sleep fine....right now I am using Benadryl for my alergies and it does an okay job....funky dreams sometimes though.

cgy1
Rookie Member

Postby cgy1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:05 am

i should try some benadryl... i could go for some interesting dreams... only interesting dream i had was the one i had last night, i dreamed that i was driving my truck down this steep hill, and it was going to roll so i bailed, my truck rolled all the way down the hill, i got in and drove it to a family bbq, and told my dad what happened, he laughed and asked how bad the damage was... oddly enough, the only damage was a little bit of denting on the roof, and the top of the windsheild was pushed down a little bit, kinda concave... and the top of the windsheild was cracked

TPS
Rookie Member

Postby TPS » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:16 pm

was also told by our midwife when I was pregnant and couldn't sleep, that eating plain yogurt helped as well....as well as drinking skullcap tea, and one other that I can't remember the name of :S
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
Bertrand Russell
Carpe Diem Quam Minimum Credula Postero

ryan.p
Rookie Member

Postby ryan.p » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:02 pm

That costco sleep aid that Jim Street posted earlier works well for me. Two chewable pills and I'm out like a light. I have experienced some real vivid dreams like another poster as well. Must have been quite deep into REM sleep.
| Now on board with VanB's 5 step program |

TMLF
Veteran Member

Postby TMLF » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:48 pm

ryan.p wrote:That costco sleep aid that Jim Street posted earlier works well for me. Two chewable pills and I'm out like a light. I have experienced some real vivid dreams like another poster as well. Must have been quite deep into REM sleep.

I'm going to look into this when I go home for the weekend...
-T

[Insert witty signature quote here...]