Melatonin

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Melatonin

Postby CourtOfficer » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:09 pm

I don't remember the last time I had a sound night's sleep. Probably the last time was when I was a child/teenager. I'm going to try some sublingual melatonin and see what happens. Has anyone had any good (or bad) experiences with this supplement?

CO

TMLF

Re: Melatonin

Postby TMLF » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:21 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:I don't remember the last time I had a sound night's sleep. Probably the last time was when I was a child/teenager. I'm going to try some sublingual melatonin and see what happens. Has anyone had any good (or bad) experiences with this supplement?

CO

That's the "natural" stuff right?

I've used it before, if it is the same thing, when working backshifts.

I don't recall what the dosage said, but I started off with (1) pill and it worked ok for me...

You could also buy a few hundred sheep... :thumbsup:
-T

[Insert witty signature quote here...]

Q-Tip

Postby Q-Tip » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:27 pm

Used it in the past, was effective for a very short period of time. I think if you use is consistently it becomes less useful.
Side effect I got from it was my eyes being very very sensitive to light (kinda how it works!).
The symptom persisted for a few hours even after waking up the next morning, ended up getting headaches from that.

I'd say give it a short try if you're struggling with sleep, it may help kick your body into the routine...but don't rely on it for long-term effectiveness.
Devil hands have been busy...

Mister E
Rookie Member

Postby Mister E » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:30 pm

I thought it was absolutely useless.

toomuch
Rookie Member

Postby toomuch » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:36 pm

I've used melatonin before, mostly when I was working out at night after work to help me get to sleep. Worked pretty well as I recall. I took 3 x 3mg tablets. Only side effect I had was some pretty freaky vivid dreams. Apparently it also boosts testosterone, and lowers your sperm count 88)

That being said, my girlfriend has used it to try to get to get a decent sleep after working the night shift and it didn't do jack shit.

dwest
Rookie Member

Postby dwest » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:08 pm

The company my wife and I are associated with makes the purest form of melatonin on the market, the raw ingredients are imported from the swiss anyway I have used it and I love the stuff. It has a citrus taste, you put it under your tongue and let it dissolve and bam your off to la la land! The best part is when you wake up you don't feel hung over, just well rested. If you want specific info pm me and I will send you some. Ps its cheap too! ;)
A lot can be said about how a person deals with an offence. Kicking a person when they are down doesn't make you look any better!

dwest
Rookie Member

Postby dwest » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:11 pm

The other thing I should have mentioned is that, for men, once you turn 30 your body begins to lack in melatonin production. There fore taking this supplement regular (as long as it is not synthetic) is very good for you! it has lots of other health benifits when taken long term!
A lot can be said about how a person deals with an offence. Kicking a person when they are down doesn't make you look any better!

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:42 pm

Swear by it. 3 mg tabs, sublingual or regular a few different brands.

I also like this: http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.asp ... allpartial
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

IainDaniel
Rookie Member

Postby IainDaniel » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:58 am

Great stuff.

Have used it many times. You will get the occasional trippy dream.

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:26 am

Tried the over the counter stuff from Shopper's whilst doing night shifts for the G20, didn't do a thing for me.

So I went back to my usual routine of rye and coke in the morning :drinking:
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

Roconne
Rookie Member

Postby Roconne » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:07 am

Like others have said, it does what it is supposed to do but I don't take it very often because it does give me some pretty vivid dreams.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:44 am

So, first run... I found it to be exactly like the OTC sleep medication from Shopper's. It made me tired but the sleep wasn't that good deep sleep that you want. I'm gonna keep trying it though.

CO

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:35 am

CourtOfficer wrote:So, first run... I found it to be exactly like the OTC sleep medication from Shopper's. It made me tired but the sleep wasn't that good deep sleep that you want. I'm gonna keep trying it though.

CO

Mcdonaja mentioned something his wife got on that really helped her sleep a while back. I'm not sure what is was, but I'm pretty sure he mentioned it in the Regular Fitness section.

Hey! Mcdonaja....what is that called again??? :ponder:
kopparoo2b

"Its not enough to just talk about it"

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:49 am

Kopparoo2b wrote:
CourtOfficer wrote:So, first run... I found it to be exactly like the OTC sleep medication from Shopper's. It made me tired but the sleep wasn't that good deep sleep that you want. I'm gonna keep trying it though.

CO

Mcdonaja mentioned something his wife got on that really helped her sleep a while back. I'm not sure what is was, but I'm pretty sure he mentioned it in the Regular Fitness section.

Hey! Mcdonaja....what is that called again??? :ponder:

I think it was called "leaving her alone"... :twisted:

CO