Advice on Physical Fitness/ Workout schedule

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Canadian Blue
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Advice on Physical Fitness/ Workout schedule

Postby Canadian Blue » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:06 pm

Right now my basic workout schedule is like this.

Day 1- Calisthnetics
Day 2- Running

All through the week, and I rarely do any stretching before I run. Here is what I can do right now, for a maximum

Running- 4 miles in forty minutes
Pushups- 50
Sit Ups -39 in one minute
Bends and Thrusts- 30
Narrow Pushups [tend to have to get on my knees in order to an amount]- 20
PullUps- 5

I have a question is that a good enough work out routine or should I go to one that is much like this

Pushups- 3 sets of 25-30
Situps- 3 sets 25-35
Leg Lefts- 3 sets of 25-35
Pull Ups- 3 sets of 3-15
[this is the LAPD physical fitness program]

Or should I do a different type of program which would get better results. Just want some advice.
Pull Ups- 3-15

Cop2B
Poobah Overlord

Yikes...

Postby Cop2B » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:53 am

I think you should seriously consider throwing in some anaerobic workouts with free weights into that program of yours. You could definitely cut your time on the running. I think that kind of a pace wouldn't cut it in law enforcement.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Aristotle

Hired Goon
King Poobah

Re: Yikes...

Postby Hired Goon » Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:03 pm

Cop2B wrote:I think you should seriously consider throwing in some anaerobic workouts with free weights into that program of yours. You could definitely cut your time on the running. I think that kind of a pace wouldn't cut it in law enforcement.
Agreed, BUT, I thnk CB is still pretty young. (16 I think) Gotta be careful with the free weights when you are young still growing. It can be hard on your bones, cause they are still prtty soft before you stop growing.

But yes, weights are an important part of a fitness routine.
Hired Goon

Daveb
Veteran Member

Postby Daveb » Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:17 pm

One thing that can make pushups more interesting...

Put your feet on an exercise ball and do them. That way you are working more of your core muscles while doing the pushup(to keep your feet on top of the ball instead of it rolling from one side or the other). Plus the pushup is a little harder. Makes it so that regular pushups feel like they are too easy. :)

Cop2B
Poobah Overlord

Postby Cop2B » Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:23 pm

If he is 16, there is nothing to worry about, the only time you have to worry is in pre-pubescent children. After that, they are ready to take on the lifestyle. However, the best recommendation is that they find someone who can teach them correct form.

Take it easy, and stick to exercises which incorporate multi-joint movements. (eg. Squats, BB Bench Press, Dead lifts) None of the sculpting exercises.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Aristotle

Canadian Blue
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Canadian Blue » Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:49 pm

I would prefer to do excersizes I can do at home, and with out equipment. Actually, I'm not sure if this is healthy, or dangerous, but I would try to push myself to the limit for running, and could run 8-10 miles some days.

Rye
Poobah Overlord

Postby Rye » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:25 pm

edit
Last edited by Rye on Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cop2B
Poobah Overlord

Postby Cop2B » Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:49 am

The trick to increasing poundage?s is to cycle routines. Strength (Med reps4-6), Bulk (low reps10-12), Power fast mid-range.

never mind all that.. Ryan is right. Get a bench & some free weights to get you started. You will probably keep the weights forever if you buy cast Iron.

Aristotle

waltas1109
Rookie Member

Re: Advice on Physical Fitness/ Workout schedule

Postby waltas1109 » Wed May 15, 2019 12:50 pm

The best schedule to follow would be working out between 5 and 6 days per week, allow me to elaborate…

Let’s start things off on Sunday; this is your Rest Day, and more importantly it is your Cheat Day. If your intentions are to develop muscles (yes), then your diet needs to be considered as well. Anyway, Sunday is the day that you load up on carbs and all other good stuff that you limit or restrict yourself from eating for the rest of the week. Since you will be emphasizing this day on getting in a lot of carbs, and it is your rest day, tomorrow will be your strongest day of the week