Whey Powder

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
Jace
Rookie Member

Whey Powder

Postby Jace » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:44 pm

A friend of mine is in the food business, and can give me whey powder (such as is used for commercial baking purposes).

I'm usually up on my nutrition knowledge, but what is the difference between this stuff and what is sold as a supplement?

Obviously it's great if I can get a normally expensive supplement for enhancing work-outs out free of charge, but am I wasting my time?

Anyone's thoughts?

Columbo
Seasoned Member

Re: Whey Powder

Postby Columbo » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:20 pm

You can eat all the whey powder and creatine you can shake a stick at (and believe me, I could shake a stick in front of a barn-load of it if I wanted to), but you can't fight your genes. Luckily I put on and retain muscle mass very well; too bad my stomach acts as a fat bank and holder of deposits. :D I don't take any supplements except a multivitamin for well-being, fish oil for the ol' heart, and glucosamine for an old bone injury (even though I know it's notoriously difficult, if not near impossible for the body to absorb it in an ingestible form). I'm not a big proponent of nutritional technology unless an individual trains at a competitive level, as I've found it mostly useless for the average athlete. As I've said before, eat lots of fish, cut your intake of red meat to two to four times per month, and most of all, exercise your stabilizer muscles to build mass. I can jog for days, but try as I may, I will never be fast; my genes won't have it. My method might not be as involved and convoluted as some, and I know several of you will disagree with me, but my body responds well to simplicity.
"One more thing..."

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:29 am

It won't mix as well and it'll taste like ass but it'll be more pure and fine for consumption. I used to buy creatine unlabelled, uncut for $100 a key from a pharamceutical wholesaler. Good shiznit.

CO

Mister E
Rookie Member

Postby Mister E » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:48 am

It should be alright. CO's right, it probably won't mix well so you might need a blender. A couple spoons of peanut butter should fix the taste.
It might make you cramp though.

squarestar
Rookie Member

Postby squarestar » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:30 am

the 'Magic Bullet,' if you have it, works wonders :)
add banana!

Bogomil
Grand Poobah

Postby Bogomil » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:23 am

I am not sure if Baker's Whey is considered a concentrate or Isolate, I suspect the former would be correct. It is likely in an unflavoured state.

Whey concentrate is higher in lactose and attacks my guts with ferocity at times.

Whey Isolate is better as most of the lactose is removed and the protein is processed and absorbed my your muscles quicker post workout. Whey's have come along way in the last 5 years taste wise. I am not sure if I would torture myself with the baker's whey, it will likely be disgusting and may discourage you from taking it. Buy I would at least try it as the price point fits.
What do I know of man's destiny? I could tell you more about radishes.

Jace
Rookie Member

Postby Jace » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:02 pm

Thanks for the input, guys.

My friend gave me a small sample last night, enough for one shake. It tasted only slightly better than ground drywall.

I think I'll just build on my nutrition without this supplement! :?

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:08 pm

Try mixing it with milk and strawberry yogurt.

CO

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:28 pm

For the most part, you need more protein than anything else. Just buy a 5 lb tub.

Whey protein isolate is the best, never buy soy protein if you're male.

Gaspari Myofusion is phenomenal, and I've tried tons of different brands of whey protein.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:12 pm

never buy soy protein if you're male.

Why is that??
kopparoo2b

"Its not enough to just talk about it"

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:19 pm

O.k....never mind I googled it. :o

Seems to be a bit of debate over its usage by men. Its not 100% confirmed though.....

I never knew about that.....
kopparoo2b

"Its not enough to just talk about it"

mcdonaja
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: Whey Powder & TESTO BOOSTERS

Postby mcdonaja » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:55 pm

I use iSONatural. No real taste, easy to drink...absolutely pure, at least so far as the label is concerned. I can do without the carbs, sugars, fats and all the other garbage in the other Whey products. No effort at all to blend it.

Results....so far so good considering at my age I have other things probably working against me, i.e. low testo. Which brings me to my next Q....is there ANY tried, tested and true Testo Boosters....just googling overwhelms my 50yr old brain. Any suggestions????

Edit: be nice, I'm a sensitive kind of guy.
"Cops solve problems. Don't be a problem and you won't get solved."
Freedom Friday - Jan 06 2012 - 32 years 1 month

Bogomil
Grand Poobah

Postby Bogomil » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:56 pm

I vote for Whey Isolate. If you are close a costco go there. Sometimes they have goods deals. :alright:
What do I know of man's destiny? I could tell you more about radishes.

Jim Street
King Poobah

Re: Whey Powder & TESTO BOOSTERS

Postby Jim Street » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:02 pm

mcdonaja wrote:Results....so far so good considering at my age I have other things probably working against me, i.e. low testo. Which brings me to my next Q....is there ANY tried, tested and true Testo Boosters....just googling overwhelms my 50yr old brain. Any suggestions????

There's really no "tried and true" way without going to pharmaceuticals. Tribulus Terrestris products are supposed to, but there is not any real research done to prove it. Personally, I think some Trib products do but I've never had bloodwork done while on them.

This is a pretty good succinct article regarding it, it's long but good:

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_arti ... ne_toolbox

I know this is :offtopic:

So back to the OP.

Don't skimp when it comes to protein supplements. There is alot of garbage out there and protein is really the number one thing you should supplement if you're going to do take anything.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

mcdonaja
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby mcdonaja » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:15 pm

Tks Jim...

Yep agreed...since I've started taking in the protein, leaps and bounds over where I was just trying to supplement via diet intake alone.
"Cops solve problems. Don't be a problem and you won't get solved."
Freedom Friday - Jan 06 2012 - 32 years 1 month