Whey Powder

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
toomuch
Rookie Member

Re: Whey Powder

Postby toomuch » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:05 pm

I've been swearing by Perfect Nutrition whey for a couple of years now. I used to use their whey concentrate "PerfectWhey" but have recently switched over to their whey isolate "Diesel". I'm not someone who is overly picky with the flavour quality of my supplements but their flavours are absolutely unreal. I would definitely recommend pineapple mango for the PerfectWhey, and chocolate peanut butter for Diesel. Diesel has 5g of L-Gluatamine, and 7g of BCAA's which is definitely a benefit, and on top of that its a Canadian company :thumbsup:

Also, if you're looking for a completely custom supplement approach, try the TrueProtein website. They have a pretty cool supplement creation tool that allows you to create your own "custom mix" of protein, pre/post workout supplements, etc. They are out of the states, but if you're putting together a big order some of the prices can be pretty reasonable.

zimmer
Rookie Member

Postby zimmer » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:27 pm

Came across this new whey protein: http://www.thermolife.com/products/Vasola

Little on the expensive side. Never heard of this company before - Thermolife
On the Civilian side of the yellow tape......for now!

26point2
Rookie Member

Postby 26point2 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:50 pm

toomuch wrote:I've been swearing by Perfect Nutrition whey for a couple of years now. I used to use their whey concentrate "PerfectWhey" but have recently switched over to their whey isolate "Diesel". I'm not someone who is overly picky with the flavour quality of my supplements but their flavours are absolutely unreal. I would definitely recommend pineapple mango for the PerfectWhey, and chocolate peanut butter for Diesel. Diesel has 5g of L-Gluatamine, and 7g of BCAA's which is definitely a benefit, and on top of that its a Canadian company :thumbsup:

Ditto on the Perfect Nutrition Diesel -- been using it about 6 months. I tried Perfect's N.O. fuel, I was looking at it, and the store offered it to me for $25, I thought why not. Not sure of the results, and I started to forget to take them. :ponder: So, I won't be buying them again.
"Sic Itur ad Astra"
"Such is the Pathway to the Stars"

rntacp
Rookie Member

Postby rntacp » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:19 am

Check out truesupplements(dot)com, super clean protein and other great supps for really good prices. They're continuously getting new products in, check it out. I've ordered twice from them (I order 20-25lbs of protein at a time) and nothing but greatness.

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:16 pm

Guys, guys, guys...if you are serious about trying to put on muscle don't compromise your results, trust only Joe Weider products. Use his Weight Gainer Formula No. 7 and his Muscle Builder and his incredible Anabolic Mega Paks (and of course follow all the Weider Principles). It worked for Arnold and Franco!
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:02 pm

Mongo wrote:Guys, guys, guys...if you are serious about trying to put on muscle don't compromise your results, trust only Joe Weider products. Use his Weight Gainer Formula No. 7 and his Muscle Builder and his incredible Anabolic Mega Paks (and of course follow all the Weider Principles). It worked for Arnold and Franco!

The Weider Principles, although many may or may not have been Weider originals, are all still sound bodybuilding practices.

CO

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:10 pm

Agreed. But it's the Muscle Builder and other supplements that made Arnold and Franco what they were.

Or so Saint Joe would have had us believe.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:32 pm

Mongo wrote:Agreed. But it's the Muscle Builder and other supplements that made Arnold and Franco what they were.

Or so Saint Joe would have had us believe.

For sure Weider was/is a marketing machine.

As an aside, looking back at Arnold and Franco, who has the kind of muscle density any more? It's because they had years of a basis in powerlifting. Now guys are on the crank right away and train like bodybuilders. Shoot your test every other day and pump up with moderate weights. They end up bulbous but little in mature muscle. Arnold was what, 6'1", 6'2" maybe 225 contest. And look how friggin' thick he was. That tall at 225 by today's standard would be skinny. Kids - Lift heavy on the basics and be religious about it. Don't get on the juice until you have a basis of mature muscle. Rant over.

CO

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:46 pm

Yep, all those guys- Franco, Arnold, Draper, Katz- looked great back then and they were all lighter than the freaks of today. Today you hear of 18 and 19-year old kids spending their time doing concentration curls and shooting test and insulin and God knows what. All that natural testosterone surging through them at that age and they think they need to be on the stuff? Crazy.

If I could go back in time I'd find the skinny 15-year old version of me and subscribe him nothing but deadlifts and squats for at least a few months.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:57 pm

Mongo wrote:Yep, all those guys- Franco, Arnold, Draper, Katz- looked great back then and they were all lighter than the freaks of today. Today you hear of 18 and 19-year old kids spending their time doing concentration curls and shooting test and insulin and God knows what. All that natural testosterone surging through them at that age and they think they need to be on the stuff? Crazy.

If I could go back in time I'd find the skinny 15-year old version of me and subscribe him nothing but deadlifts and squats for at least a few months.

A few years would probably be better. There's no sense in going on steroids in your teens. Your body IS on steroids when you're in your teens. God given surging testosterone!

CO

novega
Rookie Member

Postby novega » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:35 am

I'm curious about everyones views on Whey after cardio? Beneficial or is it a waste?

A little back ground:
I'm trying to lose some extra fat, tone up and gain some muscle after a year or so of inactivity. Right now, I've got three days a week focused on cardio (mostly running on a treadmill or stationary bike) and three days of weight training. My brother (10 years younger and much more athletic build) suggested I take a whey isolate shake after all my workouts since he's been very successful at gaining muscle using the same routine.

I have a somewhat limited knowledge/understanding of supplements and nutritional principles but I've been trying to do my research and I understand that whey isolate when used in combination with a good multi-vitamin contains many of the necessary "building blocks" for muscle.

Part of me says "Heck yeah take it after cardio, after all you're working your leg and core muscles as well as your heart (which is a muscle right?) and lungs...it's gotta be beneficial"
The other part of me says "This stuff is expensive and best saved for days when you're weight training, it's not really helpful after a cardio work out"

Your views?

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:21 pm

I use Isolflex Whey Protein Isolate after every workout - even with cardio you're breaking down muscle tissue and it requires repair. Even with simple running your legs (obviously), lower back and even arms get some working. Granted the legs are going to get the brunt of it, but either way, your body needs protein to repair.

I swear by taking the protein.....in the almost 6 months I have been using it, I've leaned out (no weight loss -more definition and more lean muscle), rarely have muscle soreness and noticed a good deal of change to my body composition. I run, row, do P90x and Insanity and mountain bike......its a life saver after a hard cardio workout (Insanity). Add to all of this, I seem to sleep better when I make sure to take a shake before bed.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:40 pm

Novega - Take your whey protein every day, even on your days off. Some will say ESPECIALLY on your days off. Protein is a macronutrient that is necessary every day to maintain a positive nitrogren balance in the body. Muscle growth occurs when you're resting, not when you're lifting. Be sure to take a shake (low/no carb one) before bed to avoid muscle wasting while you fast (sleep) as well.

CO

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:13 pm

I agree with ya' CO....I take my protein on days off as well.......the low cal/low fat ones are the best. I will admit tho....I don't like them with just water.....skim milk is the way I go. It gives it a better flavour and more like a "shake".
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

novega
Rookie Member

Postby novega » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:02 am

Thanks for the replies. I'll continue to take them.

I also prefer using skim milk, I find it tastes "whey" better (see what I did there? ;) ) It also seems to mix better in my experience. The only time I really use water is right after a workout or if I forgot to buy milk. I'm using the BioX low calorie Peanut butter flavour whey isolate and when mixed with milk it tastes like a Reese's Peanutbutter Cup...yummy :thumbsup: