Regular Fitness

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
Shawshank

Re: Regular Fitness

Postby Shawshank » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:24 am

Iceking007 wrote:I think it's like most things in life, you need to have some balance and make changes. If something stops working after you see results you have to change it up.

Running and other cardio activities are great for working the mechanics of your body, your blood system, lungs, and energy converting systems. It's usually recommended to be up near your 80% max heart rate for periods of 30 minutes to see some progress, it's mostly about working your heart and lungs hard so keeping your heart rate up is key; however even light jogging to help rest your system with higher pace running to bring your hr back up is better over long periods then just stopping once you cannot keep your hr in the target zone. What I'm saying is keep the effort going at the highest intensity from an endurance stand point, if you can start with 20 minutes a day for many days a week then gradually push to 30 then 45 and so on you'll be doing yourself some good and notice the improvements.

To target belly fat specifically IMO guys can usually turn that into muscle fairly easily with hard work. I've recently gotten into kettlebells and they are great for working the core and muscle groups in the same workouts. Basically any kind of resistance training there is going to go well with the cardio, your body needs to feed on your stored energy and put it to use. After that your diet is also going to affect how efficient this process is as well as how the results last.

Women are different from men obviously and it's my belief they need to workout differently (unless they're training for Ms.Universe body builder or something). Usually cardio is basically the same but women usually opt for more body based resistance training rather then the heavy iron. Workouts such as yoga, pilates, zumba, and other activities more cardio based to help lean but not always build muscle like a guy would.

Again diversity I think is key but also to incorporate a workout and then say be active in a sport or other physical activity, always take time to strengthen your core even when just working your arms and chest, use proper posture, and focus on your breathing and heart rhythm. Some people use music but for my self I just focus my mind and think about each and every breath I take, find what works for you, it can be a pain in the ass but also should be fun and enjoyable.

Hope that helps.

You can't target belly fat.
Women can train the same.
K division.

Iceking007
Rookie Member

Postby Iceking007 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:27 am

Okay fair enough, I agree I 'miss spoke'. You can target your muscle groups in a certain area, this will help to reduce the fat as your body will burn it for energy.

Is that correct?
Currently a civilian - EPS hopeful
Application - complete
ACT - 11/6/16 passed
APCAT - 11/6/16 passed
A-PREP - training
BDI - TBD
PDI - TBD
PI/E - TBD
PE&ME - TBD
Background - TBD

~Even the helpful need help~

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:44 am

Iceking007 wrote:Okay fair enough, I agree I 'miss spoke'. You can target your muscle groups in a certain area, this will help to reduce the fat as your body will burn it for energy.

Is that correct?

Depends on how you mean it. You can work out a specific body part, no doubt. But it doesn't matter what area you focus on, you don't get to decided where the fat will come off. You can do ab exercises til your blue in the face, doesn't mean your body will burn fat from your stomach.
K division.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:32 pm

Women are different from men obviously and it's my belief they need to workout differently (unless they're training for Ms.Universe body builder or something). Usually cardio is basically the same but women usually opt for more body based resistance training rather then the heavy iron. Workouts such as yoga, pilates, zumba, and other activities more cardio based to help lean but not always build muscle like a guy would.

Yeah, complete bs. Women can train heavy and hard, just like men and, in fact, more women should as lean muscle is the key to keeping trim.

Sorry, not to sound rude, but your opinion on how women train is ridiculous. Zumba? Are you kidding me? Wtf. Are you going to suggest "prancercise" next?
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:30 pm

devilwoman wrote:

Yeah, complete bs. Women can train heavy and hard, just like men and, in fact, more women should as lean muscle is the key to keeping trim.

Sorry, not to sound rude, but your opinion on how women train is ridiculous. Zumba? Are you kidding me? Wtf. Are you going to suggest "prancercise" next?

Agreed. Train for the goal, not the gender.
K division.

Floydie
Seasoned Member

Postby Floydie » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:43 pm

devilwoman wrote:Sorry, not to sound rude, but your opinion on how women train is ridiculous. Zumba? Are you kidding me? Wtf. Are you going to suggest "prancercise" next?

:mrgreen: :alright:
CX-1 @ Millhaven

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:39 pm

^Cha man! Exactly.

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:01 pm

devilwoman wrote:

Umm....Yes, you better just be posting that Prancercise routine you showed me last week, right up on this board. :mrgreen:
kopparoo2b

"Its not enough to just talk about it"

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:43 pm

I was at a Crossfit event, some of the Women were pushing 185# over their heads (more than their body weight).
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:25 pm

Let's get the fitness discussions up and going again, it's far too quiet and I know people are working out!

Been focusing my efforts lately:
-more compound lifts (doing a 3 set, 4-6, 2-4, 8-12 routine)
-obstable courses (PARE laps, sandbag heavy lifts and carries, firefighter stair climbs, etc)
-HIIT wind sprints, Fartlek runs, shuttle tests, and 500m and 1000m interval runs.
-Outdoor runs most days
-Weighted pullups / pushups

I'd like to get an outdoor workout group together in the GTA (Toronto area).
I have equipment for shuttle runs, sandbag workouts, kettlebells, etc.
If anyone is interesting, send me a PM.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:27 pm

I'm still trying to get my strength levels back to where they were pre-Depot. Its been a bit of a challenge adapting to shift work and not having a set work schedule like I did in my past job. But it is slowly coming back.
K division.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:07 am

I'm still trying to get my strength levels back to where they were pre-Depot. Its been a bit of a challenge adapting to shift work and not having a set work schedule like I did in my past job. But it is slowly coming back.

I feel your pain. I've adapted to using my day shift as my active recovery week (once every 6 weeks) as it absolutely destroys me. Nights or afternoons, no issue...

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:13 pm

Shawshank wrote:I'm still trying to get my strength levels back to where they were pre-Depot. Its been a bit of a challenge adapting to shift work and not having a set work schedule like I did in my past job. But it is slowly coming back.

You'll get there.
I find for me, doing mini cardio HIIT during or right after my weightlifting helps fit everything in when my schedule is busy. (fast jog 1km, lift, repeat sorta thing)
If I have more time, then I breakup the cardio and lifting a few hours apart or on different days.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:06 pm

Just bought these Image to change it up in my gym. The hooks I took off and gave to my father-in-law, and the chains will be cut into 5 foot lengths to add to my bar.

When I get around to it, I'll take a picture of my new gym set up since I've moved.
K division.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:59 pm

Nice. I haven't tried chains yet, I like how they add weight gradually as you raise the bar.
I picked up a heavy duty duffel bag and put a few sand bags and weights in it for practicing the torso bag carry and carrying it up and down stairs for leg strength.

What rep/sets would you recommend on bench and squats for size/strength goals?
I was doing 2x15 to build up a solid base foundation on the big 5 compound exercises, I got alot stronger but didn't put on any size.
Now I'm doing 3 sets of rep ranges 4-6, 2-4, 8-12.