Regular Fitness

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
MC07
Rookie Member

Re: Regular Fitness

Postby MC07 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:30 pm

Shawshank wrote:I'm still trying to get my strength levels back to where they were pre-Depot. Its been a bit of a challenge adapting to shift work and not having a set work schedule like I did in my past job. But it is slowly coming back.

I was wondering if you had lost any of that strength while at Depot? And did you lose or gain any weight while there?

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:37 pm

MC07 wrote:
Shawshank wrote:I'm still trying to get my strength levels back to where they were pre-Depot. Its been a bit of a challenge adapting to shift work and not having a set work schedule like I did in my past job. But it is slowly coming back.

I was wondering if you had lost any of that strength while at Depot? And did you lose or gain any weight while there?

When I started, Depot, I was benching 335 (after a year of not benching due to a shoulder issue), came out doing 345. Its now around 400 again.
Deadlift, best pull before was 675, just hit 605 a couple weeks ago
Squat was 605 before, and now its around 530.
OHP is just laughable.

I lost 30 lbs while there.

This weeks workouts, only two due to family issues and my shoulder has been killing me.

Monday October 15
Bench: 3X3X345, then shoulder flared up so I shut it down.

Thursday October 19
Deadlift: 8X3X505

Was going to do some shoulders tonight but 3 minutes before I was set to leave work, call came in that was better with two people going to it, so left work 2 hours late and still had to the kid and supper etc.
K division.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:00 am

What rep/sets would you recommend on bench and squats for size/strength goals?

I've been using a 5x5 and 3x6 for gaining strength in my bench, squat and deadlifts. My progress is a bit slower then most because my shifts zap my energy, but I still see improvement. Bench is stalled right now due to a old shoulder injury causing me grief.

I like to do 5x10 of the "big three" at lesser weight to focus on getting deeper into the squat (safely) and burning out my muscles. 4x10, 4x8, 4x12 and 3x8 are my fave ranges for single joint movements (sometimes compounds when I just want to do something differently).

My goal is to continue to build strength but to also ensure I have muscle endurance. I also have a goal of a 300lb squat.....slowly getting there.

I've been trying the Hershel Walker squat and push-up challenge.....doubt I'll get to his 1500 of each, but almost at 500 for squat and 300 for push-ups.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:33 am

Thank you DW!

I recently have been experimenting with different sets. Rotating every few months to see how each affects the body.
My bench and deadlift are good, but my squat needs some improvement on the hip drive, so I generally go lighter on it for more reps.

I saw some gains to my 1RM when I did low reps (1x, 3x, 5x) and barely any gains with high reps (2x15).
Right now I'm doing a 3 set of 4-6,2-4,8-12reps and tossing in a dropset at end when possible.
Will use your 5x10 for squats, as I think that will allow me to get proper form, while getting stronger.

That Hershel guy is a pushup machine!
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

dt13
Rookie Member

Postby dt13 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:24 am

Slowly easing my way back into squats. I had a sprained ankle from soccer and neglected legs for the longest time. Used to squat 2-3x a week and made crazy progress.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:37 pm

For strength, I like the rule of 24. To be clear, this isn't a peaking program if you have a set date.
Week 1, take your 12rm and do 3X8 with it, next week at 5-10 pounds pending on the lift, do 3X8. Continue until you can't do 3X8. The week after, do 4X6, then 6X4 then 8X3. When you don't do 8X3, reset. And don't neglect upper back work. Heavy rows will help all three of the big lifts.

As for my workouts, this week I have done SFA. I have shingles on my forehead and its affecfted my one eye, so I pretty much hate everything. Haven't felt like eating since Saturday and have dropped 15+ lbs in that time. I guess that's one way to fit into my Serge.
K division.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:58 pm

Put another 20lbs on my squat today, excited about that.

Thanks Shawshank.
I'll give the rule of 24 a try with my benchpress and deadlifts as I've seen slower gains lately on those two major exercises.
Will also add in the upper back rows (db and bb variations) and see how it goes.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

MC07
Rookie Member

Postby MC07 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:52 pm

So I have achieved a goal of having someone remark that my vest is looking tight on me and that I could use a bigger size, and fortunately I am about due for a new one. :D

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:43 pm

MC07 wrote:So I have achieved a goal of having someone remark that my vest is looking tight on me and that I could use a bigger size, and fortunately I am about due for a new one. :D

It’s easy to make equipment look and feel tighter. Lol.
K division.

MC07
Rookie Member

Postby MC07 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:17 pm

Shawshank wrote:
MC07 wrote:So I have achieved a goal of having someone remark that my vest is looking tight on me and that I could use a bigger size, and fortunately I am about due for a new one. :D

If you're cheating by doing it up tighter lol, but it was not easy to put on about 50 pounds since I started lifting several years ago, and I've got room for more.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:20 pm

MC07 wrote:
Shawshank wrote:

If you're cheating by doing it up tighter lol, but it was not easy to put on about 50 pounds since I started lifting several years ago, and I've got room for more.

I was thinking 3am McDonalds because nothing else is open at that time and I am starving.
K division.