Regular Fitness

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Regular Fitness

Postby Kopparoo2b » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:03 am

I thought I'd start a Regular Fitness forum where you can jot down your home workouts or gym workouts that aren't Crossfit, and that encompass more than just Cardio. It feels weird posting my routines in the Crossfit section when its really not anything to do with crossfit :D

Yesterday had a good run but only to 2.5 miles.

Went to 2 miles in 16:03...then continued on to 2.5 in 20:29. Down to a walk to finish 3miles.

Went on to upper body with sitting chest press/machine curls/lat pulldown/machine arm extension and sit up machine. Also did some free weights for the first time in MANY years. Knee on bench, foot on floor, and 5 sets of 6, each arm, bringing weight up the inside to your under arm and down. Slowly. (I'm sure there is a name for that.... :oops: )
kopparoo2b

"Its not enough to just talk about it"

Luke101
Rookie Member

Re: Regular Fitness

Postby Luke101 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:45 pm

I like the idea of a regular fitness thread. This gives me a place to ask my question.

For the past year, I've been focusing on weight training (heavy weight low reps) and more recently cardio. The reason for this is I'm 5'10" and 140lbs (up from 125) and my cardio was my weakest point, so I've been trying to both build size/strength and and help my running times.

However, since i started pushing my cardio in July, not only have I stopped gaining weight but I've actually lost 5 lbs. I'm still getting stronger, just not bigger.

It's occurred to me that since I'm not bulking up anyway, I should consider focusing more on conditioning, perhaps canceling my gym membership and exercising at home with the weights I have. I would appreciate the thoughts of serving members about this. I don't care about my appearance or size, I just want to be effective in the field.

Thanks,
Luke
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

RCMP Constable

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:55 pm

Well, you're losing weight because you are burning more calories than you are taking in. Plain and simple. I know you mentioned that you don't care how big you are, but if you do want to get a wee bit bigger, just eat a little more....healthy food of course.

As for working out at home vs the gym....I think that depends on the amount of equipment you have. A few sets of dumbbells and plates may not give you the amount of variety you are looking for and need to see improvements. I work out completely at home, but I have a treadmill, rower and Bowflex with other exercise gear and find it great.

Try mixing in some plyometrics or body weight exercises for fun....burpees, etc. are great and work on your conditioning. Try checking out this site http://www.combatfitness.co.uk/. I found it useful for me. Its a nice change from regular weights and can be done anywhere.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

TacticsPT
Rookie Member

Postby TacticsPT » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:20 pm

I would watch out for the plymetrics, If you are looking at regular fitness. They can be tough on the body and high rates of injury are common. You should really only attempt to do them with once you have a good strength base.

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:40 pm

Thanks opp2 :)

For Luke 101....Ohh to have your problems lol (kidding). I totally agree with Devilwoman. Too much energy going out, not enough calories going in. Here are a couple of links to read about gaining weight in a healthy way.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/ ... ekey=52231

This next one is a pretty good video, but its long (over 27 minutes) and takes a bit to get going. Once you get past the 6 minute mark, you get into some decent information. At the 17 minute mark it goes into actual foods you should eat (how to mix your carbs and proteins, and what those types of foods are). Carbs are important to include in your diet if you have a hard time gaining weight because they are "slow burners", so won't leave your body so quickly. This goes into a bit of detail about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRjxDXk7-bI

I wouldn't quit the gym because most people don't have adequate weights etc to do over all body workouts. Aerobics (cardio) is important , but its the weights that will help you gain "healthy" weight in terms of muscle. The good food you injest will help you develop good lean muscle as opposed just fat.

Theres a lot of information on the net that could keep you busy reading for a while ;)
kopparoo2b

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:45 pm

Today only had time for a run.

Did running intervals no walking. Started from 7.6-8.9 for 1st 5 minutes, then down to 6.5 working up again to 8.6 in 5 minute intervals.

2 miles 16:04
2.5 in 20:22
3 miles in 24:20
kopparoo2b

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:49 pm

Yesterday I did squats, hammer strength one leg presses, leg curls and calf raises. Followed by a bit of cardio on the eliptical.

CO

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:00 pm

Just finished up a battery of dumbell bench, machine bench, Arnold press, tricep pushdowns.

CO

fox
Rookie Member

Postby fox » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:09 am

CourtOfficer wrote:Yesterday I did squats, hammer strength one leg presses, leg curls and calf raises. Followed by a bit of cardio on the eliptical.

CO

I'll be doing this exact same routine today (friday).
5 set 10 rep squats ...CANT WAIT! :thumbsup:

tpspastin#9
Rookie Member

Postby tpspastin#9 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:39 am

Today I did the one hand toss of a bag of All Dressed chips...Super Size. Mmmmmm. ;)

MatthewMeredith
Rookie Member

Postby MatthewMeredith » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:41 am

I was just getting my right shoulder back up to snuff -- I've had problems with the pec deck because of two dislocations (same day) when I was a kid -- when I slipped coming down my Mt. Benson hike and popped it out again. :(

Back to square one for me
Presentation: March 14th
RPAB: April 17th
Results: April 30th (RPAT: 4.10 SFPQ: 73 Total: 323)
Selection Package received: June 1st
Selection Package sent:

John014
Seasoned Member

Postby John014 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:16 pm

Luke101 wrote:I like the idea of a regular fitness thread. This gives me a place to ask my question.

For the past year, I've been focusing on weight training (heavy weight low reps) and more recently cardio. The reason for this is I'm 5'10" and 140lbs (up from 125) and my cardio was my weakest point, so I've been trying to both build size/strength and and help my running times.

However, since i started pushing my cardio in July, not only have I stopped gaining weight but I've actually lost 5 lbs. I'm still getting stronger, just not bigger.

It's occurred to me that since I'm not bulking up anyway, I should consider focusing more on conditioning, perhaps canceling my gym membership and exercising at home with the weights I have. I would appreciate the thoughts of serving members about this. I don't care about my appearance or size, I just want to be effective in the field.

Thanks,
Luke

Start working out only 3 or 4 days a week.
If you work out excessively you will not continue to gain weight/muscle.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:25 am

No time for gym yesterday.....but got a good workout at the Dojo. Somehow got a kink in the back of my neck, that seems to travel to the top of my shoulder blade! Now THATS uncomfortable..... :cuss:
kopparoo2b

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:26 am

Tonight's workout started on saturday night and ended sunday morning. Shrugs, bent over DB rows, pulldowns, dumbell curls, preacher curls.

CO