P90X

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
JLF
Rookie Member

Re: P90X

Postby JLF » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:50 pm

Westerly wrote:Here is the link for the strong lifts 5x5 site...very good information, nothing to buy.

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5- ... g-program/

Wow. I just read the entire e-book and this is exactly what I've been looking for. At the gym I see so many guys simply lifting to impress others (cheating on reps and, believe it or not, moving the pin way down on machines before they walk away) and focusing on appearance before even developing a basic degree of strength. I've always done physical jobs and my body type lends itself well to strength and mass, but I've only begun in the last couple months attending a gym and learning how to be strict with fitness. The common stuff I've been doing and learning from trainers is great, but I would like to focus on pure strength when it comes to weights at least until I've surpassed certain goals and benchmarks for my size. I really don't see much point in strength that isn't functional and have always felt a little uncomfortable seeing programs focused on isolated exercises as this just isn't the case with anything in real life.

Westerly do you keep logs on the stronglifts site? I'd really like to begin this soon and some insights from someone who is or has done this would be awesome! PM me if you want.
09/11/25 Career Presentation
09/11/28 RPAT
09/11/30 -Unofficial Pass
10/01/28 -Results (4.45)
10/01/29 Selection Package
10/02/17 Package Sent
10/02/26 PARE (dnf)
10/02/26 PEPQ Interview

TPS
Rookie Member

Postby TPS » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:48 pm

albertagirl wrote:
TPS wrote:
WorkingOnIt wrote:I'm on week 3 of P90X. I've toned quite noticably, I'm also practicing better nutrition (not a diet, but fuelling my body properly).

Particularly, I've noticed my abs, chest, forearms and upper arms have toned quite a bit (In just 2 weeks).

My weight hasn't changed at all (don't care), and my "dress" size hasn't changed at all (don't care), but I love the workouts, I love the energy, I sleep a hell of a lot better, and am having fun. I have specific workout goals in mind, and there's no doubt that P90X will help me achieve those goals. Who knows... maybe I'll even take a stab at running again...

It's tough to get the time to workout after working days, (work out, eat dinner, shower, go straight to bed), and just as challenging working nights, but I will be successful, because of the support of my family.

How "fit" were you before starting p90x? I'm just wondering because my father in law just gave me his copy to try, since I really want to get back into shape after having two babies. But I am really not in good shape now, mainly my lower back and abs are extemely weak. So was it hard getting into the routine? I've heard it's extremely intense?

I have done P90X for 4 months and I think you need to be in fairly good shape to start. With that said, I have had friends who were overweight start it but, they struggled with keeping with it. I loved it, saw incredible results and had major definition. I tried to do another round but, it didn't keep me motivated because it got so mundane after awhile. I am starting the new beachbody workout called "Insanity" it looks amazing. I totally recommend the "X" it is intense for the first 2 weeks but, you will get into a routine and love it! Follow the nutrition plan with it and you can always modify it as you go.

Thanks. I am about 5'9 and about 150. Ideally i would like to be back at about 135-140. But more then anything else i want to get toned and have abs that i can see. I'll try it out this week.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
Bertrand Russell
Carpe Diem Quam Minimum Credula Postero

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:26 am

My body frame is much the same as TPS.......and I do a lot of Cardio and weights every other day. I find the program I am on works pretty well and is similar to the 5x5 scenarios, only I've been doing 6x6 and not all the weight "types" mentioned. I think the gym is great, but I've learned that you really need to change your routines around every once in a while because the "same ole same ole" tends to get boring, which is why many of us like to change programs every few months.

Right now I am incorporating the Insanity workouts I can download from the comp because I find it really gets my heart rate going up quickly and its total quick bursts of energy from start to finish. Even though I do big Intervals on the treadmill...... 1: It gets boring, and 2: Its a different feel and more muscles are used all at once during Insanity. At the end of the day, you can't beat pushups for basic upper body strength, and the push-up crunch (not sure what the real name is), really gets your muscles working.

Any of these things mentioned along with watching your diet will get you great results.

The one problem I have is getting enough protein because I'm not a big meat eater. I do eat chicken and fish and don't mind the odd prokchop but....not as much as I should for the calories I burn (and energy I use ). I'm not sure what supplements for protein to use because I've read about a few and have reservations based on some side effects that are out there. I'm still trying to find something decent. I tried Hemp protein powder but it gave me a "gassy/crampy feeling, and the taste was nauseating and gravelly...even mixed with juice.
kopparoo2b

"Its not enough to just talk about it"

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:08 pm

The one problem I have is getting enough protein because I'm not a big meat eater. I do eat chicken and fish and don't mind the odd prokchop but....not as much as I should for the calories I burn (and energy I use ). I'm not sure what supplements for protein to use because I've read about a few and have reservations based on some side effects that are out there. I'm still trying to find something decent. I tried Hemp protein powder but it gave me a "gassy/crampy feeling, and the taste was nauseating and gravelly...even mixed with juice.

Consider drinking some milk with each meal. It'll boost your protein intake.

CO

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:42 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:

Consider drinking some milk with each meal. It'll boost your protein intake.

CO

I do have a big bowl of cereal every morning....and milk with supper already :? Plus I have a yogurt and cottage cheese each day. Cottage cheese has about 14g of Protein per half cup (only so much cottage cheese one can eat but....I try) I think its my protein because sometimes my muscle energy doesn't seem to be where it should be for lifting. I think I need more than whats in my diet, which I think, outside the meat, is pretty good.

I should really first check what my daily protein should be in regards to my workout schedule....and then see my options. I was hoping for something powdered or drinkable because I really don't feel like "eating" anything more.....lol
kopparoo2b

JLF
Rookie Member

Postby JLF » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:17 pm

I do protein powder and blueberry greens mixed with a cup of water once when I wake up and once about an hour before I workout. All protein for whatever reason starts to seem nauseating at times so just slam it back, it only takes a couple seconds. After workout I make a shake with a cup and a half of 1% milk, tablespoon of natural peanut butter, calcium/magnesium, whole banana, and a scoop of protein. It tastes really good and I look forward to it after every workout. I don't notice anything bad with anything I've ever taken Kopparoo but I can see how it could bother some people. The only thing really is lots of protein makes for some nasty farts :oops:

EDIT: The protein I have now is vanilla bean flavored so it mixes really well with almost anything.
09/11/28 RPAT
10/01/28 -Results (4.45)
10/02/17 Package Sent
10/02/26 PARE (dnf)
10/02/26 PEPQ Interview

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:40 am

JLF wrote:I do protein powder and blueberry greens mixed with a cup of water once when I wake up and once about an hour before I workout. All protein for whatever reason starts to seem nauseating at times so just slam it back, it only takes a couple seconds. After workout I make a shake with a cup and a half of 1% milk, tablespoon of natural peanut butter, calcium/magnesium, whole banana, and a scoop of protein. It tastes really good and I look forward to it after every workout. I don't notice anything bad with anything I've ever taken Kopparoo but I can see how it could bother some people. The only thing really is lots of protein makes for some nasty farts :oops:

EDIT: The protein I have now is vanilla bean flavored so it mixes really well with almost anything.

NOT MORE GAS!!! Oiiiyyyyy....... (kidding)

What protein powder do you use?? The blueberry greens, are they in a powder mix too and you just mix them both together? Is it by any chance a "Nu- Greens" product?

Thanks....
kopparoo2b

JLF
Rookie Member

Postby JLF » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:02 pm

The gas I'm referring to is protein in general, not from supplements in particular. Maybe some people but it doesn't affect me.
I'm halfway through a tub of Iso Sensation 93, and I mix it with Prairie Naturals Blueberry Greens which is also powdered.
They mix well together but if the protein were a different flavor it would probably be kinda gross.
09/11/28 RPAT
10/01/28 -Results (4.45)
10/02/17 Package Sent
10/02/26 PARE (dnf)
10/02/26 PEPQ Interview

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:04 am

JLF wrote:The gas I'm referring to is protein in general, not from supplements in particular. Maybe some people but it doesn't affect me.
I'm halfway through a tub of Iso Sensation 93, and I mix it with Prairie Naturals Blueberry Greens which is also powdered.
They mix well together but if the protein were a different flavor it would probably be kinda gross.

I was JUST reading about Prairie Naturals yesterday...the one I have is similar by Nu-Greens "Brazilian Berry Splash"(Just have to make sure I use it regularly) I'll look into Iso Sensation....haven't heard of that. I was just reading about another one too called 100% IsoProtein by North Coast Naturals. I never thought to mix the flavours together. I'm think I'm going to grab one of them today depending what I can find.

Do you feel a difference through half a tub at all....?

kopparoo2b

JLF
Rookie Member

Postby JLF » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:17 pm

Kopparoo2b wrote:I was JUST reading about Prairie Naturals yesterday...the one I have is similar by Nu-Greens "Brazilian Berry Splash"(Just have to make sure I use it regularly) I'll look into Iso Sensation....haven't heard of that. I was just reading about another one too called 100% IsoProtein by North Coast Naturals. I never thought to mix the flavours together. I'm think I'm going to grab one of them today depending what I can find.

Iso Sensation doesn't seem to be a big company, but it came very highly recommended by the owner of the nutrition store I shop at. He's got a very good reputation locally and I trust his advice. Mixing the protein and greens makes for a very disgusting swamp colored slurry, haha! I get the best looks at work when people see me drinking it - and I generally make up something when people ask what it is just for the comedy.

Not sure I know what you're asking. It doesn't taste any better or worse than when I started it and I'm not sick of it or anything. I'll most likely go with a chocolate flavor when this runs out just because. BTW, I'm no where near an expert on any of this stuff so just keep in mind my opinions/observations are just that. :)
09/11/28 RPAT
10/01/28 -Results (4.45)
10/02/17 Package Sent
10/02/26 PARE (dnf)
10/02/26 PEPQ Interview

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:53 pm

Not sure I know what you're asking. It doesn't taste any better or worse than when I started it and I'm not sick of it or anything. I'll most likely go with a chocolate flavor when this runs out just because. BTW, I'm no where near an expert on any of this stuff so just keep in mind my opinions/observations are just that.

Hahaha....I meant, seeing that its a protein drink, do you feel a difference in your body by using this product. Do you feel more energy, or any gains with your lifting etc. I'm trying to find a protein drink that gives me the energy I need to fire up the old muscles for lifting :P
kopparoo2b

Columbo
Seasoned Member

Postby Columbo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:02 pm

Protein shakes and whey powder are part of the mortality problem, not the solution. I abide by two simple rules:

1.) If my great-great grandparents wouldd not have recognized it as food, I don't eat it (think processed foods like twinkies and boxed food);
2.) If it can't be killed and cooked or picked from a plant and eaten, it's not good for you. I like to call it the farmer's diet.

As alarming as this might sound to many, it's a pretty simple way of staying fit and healthy. If you want protein, eat hard boiled eggs and fish. Any dosage of protein and vitamins that you cannot attain through a normal diet is not meant to be stored and processed by the human body. Just eat right.
"One more thing..."

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:19 pm

Kopparoo2b wrote:
Not sure I know what you're asking. It doesn't taste any better or worse than when I started it and I'm not sick of it or anything. I'll most likely go with a chocolate flavor when this runs out just because. BTW, I'm no where near an expert on any of this stuff so just keep in mind my opinions/observations are just that.

Hahaha....I meant, seeing that its a protein drink, do you feel a difference in your body by using this product. Do you feel more energy, or any gains with your lifting etc. I'm trying to find a protein drink that gives me the energy I need to fire up the old muscles for lifting :P

Don't rely on protein for energy. Healthy carbs provide workout energy and thus spare the protein for recovery and muscle growth.

CO

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:26 pm

Columbo wrote:Protein shakes and whey powder are part of the mortality problem, not the solution. I abide by two simple rules:

1.) If my great-great grandparents wouldd not have recognized it as food, I don't eat it (think processed foods like twinkies and boxed food);
2.) If it can't be killed and cooked or picked from a plant and eaten, it's not good for you. I like to call it the farmer's diet.

As alarming as this might sound to many, it's a pretty simple way of staying fit and healthy. If you want protein, eat hard boiled eggs and fish. Any dosage of protein and vitamins that you cannot attain through a normal diet is not meant to be stored and processed by the human body. Just eat right.

Not too many people in your great-great grandparent's time were concerned with being elite athletes. For optimum hypertrophy, you should likely take in somewhere between one gram of protein per kilogram of bodyweight to one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. If you do the math, that is a very difficult amount to take in through natural means. It also means you're going to take in proportionally more fat as well from the natural foods. Supplementation allows you to enjoy the added benefits of extra protein without the extra fat and carbs that might curtail your gains. Your theories are actually very good for general body health and would be good advice for most. For people looking for sports performance, though, sometimes you have to think outside the box.

CO

JLF
Rookie Member

Postby JLF » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:21 pm

Kopparoo2b wrote:Hahaha....I meant, seeing that its a protein drink, do you feel a difference in your body by using this product. Do you feel more energy, or any gains with your lifting etc. I'm trying to find a protein drink that gives me the energy I need to fire up the old muscles for lifting :P

I don't notice any difference and like CO said, I don't think you're supposed to. His second post sums it up very nicely. Make sure you're drinking a gallon of water a day and eating/working out at the right times in relation to each other. Also pay attention to what time of day you work out. If you're feeling really drained are you able to switch it up to a different time where you know you're more energized? Are your workouts boring or are you too sore from last time? Maybe changing something around in that regard will help you look forward to it more?

For me, I don't know why exactly but I LOVE going to the gym. I almost always look forward to it and generally enjoy cardio as well, even though I'm a poor runner. It's BECAUSE running is my weakest point though that I can see the biggest improvements and seeing gains week to week is really encouraging. Also the fact that I go to a gym and don't workout at home helps me. A neighbor of mine works at the gym and gets on me if I miss! All of the equipment I want is there and it's a fresh, clean environment where everyone has a similar mindset and there aren't any distractions good or bad. I haven't been disciplined for very long in terms of real fitness so the extra motivation of being at a gym helps me ensure I don't slack off.
09/11/28 RPAT
10/01/28 -Results (4.45)
10/02/17 Package Sent
10/02/26 PARE (dnf)
10/02/26 PEPQ Interview