P90X

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
gotchya

P90X

Postby gotchya » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:28 am

Anybody used it? Anybody know anything about it?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

48highlander
Rookie Member

Re: P90X

Postby 48highlander » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:04 am

From what I have seen/read about it, it consists of variable workouts, circuit training, almost like CrossFit (Which is free btw), except really watered down, and consisting of more of the "traditional" bodybuilding type movements.

gafaicheng
Rookie Member

Postby gafaicheng » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:48 am

I've had P90X since May or June. Love it. Hard core boot camp style workouts. No dancey moves. Mostly body weight stuff with exercises you do with 2 dumbells. Even bought the pre-cursor series, "Power 90 Master"series , which is a P90X "Lite" series. Also bought the "graduate" program, "P90X PLUS" which is even harder. One of the fitness models is a US cop, totally in great shape.
I've lost 15 lbs, even tho I didn't alter my diet. Is it kinda like Crossfit? I guess, since it is a circuit. Just go to the Beachbody.com site or search youtube.I don't know what shape you are in, but a lot of folks have trouble keeping up with the real time DVD work out.
Good luck.

Dirty Harry
Rookie Member

Postby Dirty Harry » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:57 am

Quick question for those in the know...

A friend of mine has been doing P90X and has really packed on some lean muscle. He is 5ft9in, and dropped to 150lbs. from a start of about 160.

His question to me know is how can he gain some muscle mass and pack on about 10 or so pounds of good muscle weight? He looks very fit but would like a look when someone sees him, they would say "that guy lifts weights" not that guy is probably a runner.

In some basic terms I suggested just eating some good foods that would be put on as muscle, provided he didn't have any calorie deficiency from his workouts, so in theory if he had taken in more calories through the day than he expended the balance would repair his muscles and put on some good muscle weight...

Am I on the right path here...any one tracking with me?

The real dilemma would be available funds from the monthly family food budget. In following exactly from the P90X menu plan, he thinks it would break the bank and budget so to speak. Would a quality mass building drink be another option for him to supplement with, along with existing diet?

Any responses are appreciated.

DH

PS I have told him about Crossfit, not sure if he has really looked into it or not yet.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:19 pm

Have your friend look into the "Starting Strength" program by Mark Rippetoe. There are some "Free" (I love that word), articles he has written for the CrossFit Journal, regarding basic barbell training (bench, squat, deadlift, press, power clean), as well as pay ones. As well there is a wiki (startingstrength.wikia.com) that is a very useful (and free resource). Or he can buy Mark's books. Also good resources, that I plan on purchasing soon.

Now before I get pounced on for mentioning something that isn't crossfit, I should mention that Rippetoe, is the creator of their Basic Barbell cert, and as already mention is frequent contributor to thier journal. And after reading several of his articles, I have found that I agree wholeheartedly that, building up your base strength levels in the main barbell lifts, will aid you immensly when it comes to some of the more challenging CrossFit Metcon workouts. For a couple of months now, I have been supplement my regular CF WODs with some basic power lifting workouts (5x5s, 3x3 etc), I am now going to give Rips, programs a shot becuase unlike most, his include the (overhead) press, and power cleans, (as well as wieghted dips/pullups).

Dirty Harry
Rookie Member

Postby Dirty Harry » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:24 pm

keep em' coming... :D

DH
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

gafaicheng
Rookie Member

Postby gafaicheng » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:24 pm

Here's a breakdown of 2 P90X DVDs':
Chest and Back DVD:
Here are the twelve exercises in order:

Standard Pushups-most of the background exercisers did 30, just to give you an idea of how many they were doing

Wide Front Pullups-The background folks were doing 15-20!!!!

Military pushups-Almost like a tricep pushup
Reverse Grip chin-up

Wide-fly pushup

Closed Grip overhand pull-up

Decline Pushups

Heavy pants-Sort of like bent over lat rows

Diamond Pushups-

Lawnmowers-One arm rows

Dive-bomber pushups-OUCH!!!!

Bent over back flys

Repeat the same 12 exercises but instead of them being in a chest, back, chest, back order...., they are back, chest, back, chest.

Plyometrics DVD:
The exercises are grouped into rounds, and each round gets repeated once. The breakdown is as follows:

1) Jump squat, run stance squat, airborne heisman (lateral leaping), swing kick

2) Squat reach jump, run stance squat with direction switch, double airborne heisman, circle run

3) Jump knee tuck. jumping lunge, leapfrog squat, twist combo

4) Rock star hop, gap jump, squat jack, military march

5) Run squat with 180 jump, lateral leapfrog, monster truck tire, hot foot

6) Bonus round: pitch & catch, jump shot, football move (60 seconds each)

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:04 pm

gafaicheng wrote:Here's a breakdown of 2 P90X DVDs':
Chest and Back DVD:
Here are the twelve exercises in order:

Standard Pushups-most of the background exercisers did 30, just to give you an idea of how many they were doing

Wide Front Pullups-The background folks were doing 15-20!!!!

Military pushups-Almost like a tricep pushup
Reverse Grip chin-up

Wide-fly pushup

Closed Grip overhand pull-up

Decline Pushups

Heavy pants-Sort of like bent over lat rows

Diamond Pushups-

Lawnmowers-One arm rows

Dive-bomber pushups-OUCH!!!!

Bent over back flys

Repeat the same 12 exercises but instead of them being in a chest, back, chest, back order...., they are back, chest, back, chest.

Plyometrics DVD:
The exercises are grouped into rounds, and each round gets repeated once. The breakdown is as follows:

1) Jump squat, run stance squat, airborne heisman (lateral leaping), swing kick

2) Squat reach jump, run stance squat with direction switch, double airborne heisman, circle run

3) Jump knee tuck. jumping lunge, leapfrog squat, twist combo

4) Rock star hop, gap jump, squat jack, military march

5) Run squat with 180 jump, lateral leapfrog, monster truck tire, hot foot

6) Bonus round: pitch & catch, jump shot, football move (60 seconds each)

Sounds pretty like the routines found in any number of Navy SEAL workout programs, and 30 push ups isn't a whole hellavu lot (unless you are doing multiple sets), CrossFit workouts, and the aforementioned SEAL works can at times have 100-200+ pushups in a single workout. Not to be to critical of the program (since all I have seen are the infomercials), but I have a few issues with it. All these names, makes me think they are just making shit up to justify having a full DVD. The fact you have to watch DVDs to do the program, from what I remember of most workout dvds, its hard to concentrate on what you are supposed to be doing if you have to watch a tv. If you want to put max effort into something your FULL attention has to be on what you are doing (also, the music is usually crap). Also the idea that it breaks its workouts down into iso movements, is something I am not a fan of. And there is the pay aspect. You can find programs that are just as effective (if not better IMHO) on the web, Starting Strength, CrossFit, and Various Military PT routines can all be had for FREE, and you can use the money you save, to invest in some more equipment than just dumbbells.

RJB
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby RJB » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:52 pm

ha P90X.. I would see guys at the gym with a portable dvd player doing this.

You might as well do Turbo Jam.. and remember with the special sculpting gloves, Turbo Jam is 96% more effective!

Jiminy Cricket
Rookie Member

Postby Jiminy Cricket » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:44 pm

If you do not work out regularly, committing to any exercise program for 1 hr/day, 7 day/week for a 3-month period will get you dramatic results; so P90X is not unique in this way. Some other criticisms...

(1) You won't gain significant muscle mass because the max load in P90X is your own body weight. Exercises with this load are only done in the pull-up exercises that target your back and biceps. So you'll have a freakish, disproportionately large latimus dorsi (like one of the models in the infomercial), and there are more efficient ways to turn your biceps into the coveted big guns. (2) P90X is intense in cardio and endurance training, so you will trim fat and get toned muscles and be ready to show off your beach abs. But the other guys at the beach do real work outs, and they'll have not only the 6-pack, but also the shoulders, the arms, the quads, the babes. (3) You also have to be fairly fit to even start the program or you will still be struggling with the type of exercises in Week 1 when the DVDs are in Week 3. (4) Contrary to its advertisement, you don't have to switch to Kempo to avoid plateaus. Plateaus take about 3 weeks, and if you stop doing the first exercise to do other exercises, your gains in the original exercise will dwindle. To avoid plateaus you simply need to change the reps, sets and/or intensity (e.g. weight load). (5) Three weeks after the program when you've finished the 3 easy payments, you'll have a stack of DVDs that can't even be converted into a weight to train your 8-10lbs trigger pull. Replaying the DVDs will keep you at a maintenance phase, cycling through the different exercises. That practice would still be good for your cardiovascular health, but you can maintain good cardio by only doing 40 mins of cardio at 80% of your max heart rate only 3 days a week. (Although apparently I've recently been notified that you can send them even more of your money for a "plus" expansion pack.)

The thing to remember is that P90X is sold in an infomercial. Which means it was not specifically designed to maximize your fitness. It was specifically designed to sell a product to consumers and keep them satisfied until the refund period expires-- which is brilliant because by the time the customer can figure out what's wrong with it, it's already too late.

Big Mac
Rookie Member

Postby Big Mac » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:29 am

I've been doing the P90x workout for the past 3 months. About 3 weeks ago I was starting to get bored with the program. Mind you its a great workout and I love it, just that I was getting use to it I guess. So I looked into the Crossfit and 300 programs. I've been mixing things up now and still doing my P90x but throwing in a crossfit or 300 here and there. P90x works on a muscle confusion idea, crossfit and 300 are more full body workouts with a lot in a short time.

You really have to mix things up. I'm in the best shape of my life right now and going to just keep pushing through,

ps also remember that for any quality workout you need to keep a proper diet.

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:15 pm

Big Mac wrote:I've been doing the P90x workout for the past 3 months. About 3 weeks ago I was starting to get bored with the program. Mind you its a great workout and I love it, just that I was getting use to it I guess. So I looked into the Crossfit and 300 programs. I've been mixing things up now and still doing my P90x but throwing in a crossfit or 300 here and there. P90x works on a muscle confusion idea, crossfit and 300 are more full body workouts with a lot in a short time.

You really have to mix things up. I'm in the best shape of my life right now and going to just keep pushing through,

ps also remember that for any quality workout you need to keep a proper diet.

Just a point, the "300" program, wasn't a program it was a one off workout, that the cast and crew did. The program they followed was an ultra intense version of CrossFit (the trainer, they hired Mark Twight, was a former affiliate). Just an FYI.

captainonion
Rookie Member

Postby captainonion » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:16 pm

These look like great videos, even if the workouts are too advanced I could use them to get great exercises too incorporate into my normal workout.