PARE-> Best way to vault over bar

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Re: PARE-> Best way to vault over bar

Postby SD_SC1 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:33 pm

wannabeRCMP wrote:Did you gas out before the 6th lap or did you have trouble with the push-pull or the carry?

The push/pull. Are all push/pull machines on the flimsy side?
Sed libera nos a malo.

wannabeRCMP
Rookie Member

Postby wannabeRCMP » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:09 pm

SD_SC1 wrote: Are all push/pull machines on the flimsy side?

Not sure if I'd call it flimsy but the couple I've used had some play in them where they are held together with nuts and bolts. Also they are often designed to fold out of the way in many cases so they aren't in the way when not in use. I just assumed you should be able to compensate for a little play in the machine. It's supposed to simulate a fight so a little instability forces you to work harder to maintain control.

Basically Id say if most people had no serious trouble with the machine it would just be a lack of core strength on your part. If everyone failed, then I'd blame the machine. (Not an insult, just an honest opinion) I say try doing some core workouts like yoga before you try again.
It's not how hard you hit, it's how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done.

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:35 pm

wannabeRCMP wrote:
SD_SC1 wrote: Are all push/pull machines on the flimsy side?

Not sure if I'd call it flimsy but the couple I've used had some play in them where they are held together with nuts and bolts. Also they are often designed to fold out of the way in many cases so they aren't in the way when not in use. I just assumed you should be able to compensate for a little play in the machine. It's supposed to simulate a fight so a little instability forces you to work harder to maintain control.

Basically Id say if most people had no serious trouble with the machine it would just be a lack of core strength on your part. If everyone failed, then I'd blame the machine. (Not an insult, just an honest opinion) I say try doing some core workouts like yoga before you try again.

It seemed like the ones who had done the PARE before just sailed through it. However, those of us who were first-timers seemed to struggle.
Sed libera nos a malo.

Banned
Rookie Member

Postby Banned » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:49 pm

SD_SC1, Equipment which will mimic the push/pull machine can be found in every gym and you can practice there to build up the core strength that will make the test easier.

The comments here about a defeatest attitude are very accurate though. I am one of the true believers that attitude will make you pass or fail a PARE, POPAT, SOPAT whatever, more than any other factor. You get it done because you have to. Failing is not an option in police work so it shouldn't be an option in the gym.

My issue had always beed the cardio component and so by the time I would hit the rail vault I was done. Well into oxygen deprevation and thoughts of quitting certainly start entering your head. But if it's a matter of 30 more seconds of hell to finish a year long application process, time to dig deep and "git er done".
I didn't say it would be easy - I said it would be worth it: Art Williams

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:21 am

Banned wrote:SD_SC1, Equipment which will mimic the push/pull machine can be found in every gym and you can practice there to build up the core strength that will make the test easier.

The comments here about a defeatest attitude are very accurate though. I am one of the true believers that attitude will make you pass or fail a PARE, POPAT, SOPAT whatever, more than any other factor. You get it done because you have to. Failing is not an option in police work so it shouldn't be an option in the gym.

My issue had always beed the cardio component and so by the time I would hit the rail vault I was done. Well into oxygen deprevation and thoughts of quitting certainly start entering your head. But if it's a matter of 30 more seconds of hell to finish a year long application process, time to dig deep and "git er done".

I agree, as I was once told some of the best opportunities in life are often missed because they are disguised as a pair of overalls and hard work.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:59 am

Banned wrote:But if it's a matter of 30 more seconds of hell to finish a year long application process, time to dig deep and "git er done".

It wasn't that, however. I knew I had another opportunity to run the PARE, and I'm not going to risk injuring my shoulder further when in the grand scheme of things, it really isn't necessary. (Ie: the PARE is not life or death. Actually fighting a guy on the street, yes.) Shoulder injuries are no laughing matter, and if I were to injure it further, I could easily be unable to ever become a PO in the event it weren't to heal fully, or if permanent damage was done to it.
Sed libera nos a malo.

fergs
Rookie Member

Postby fergs » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:16 pm

It wasn't that, however. I knew I had another opportunity to run the PARE, and I'm not going to risk injuring my shoulder further when in the grand scheme of things, it really isn't necessary. (Ie: the PARE is not life or death. Actually fighting a guy on the street, yes.) Shoulder injuries are no laughing matter, and if I were to injure it further, I could easily be unable to ever become a PO in the event it weren't to heal fully, or if permanent damage was done to it.

Speaking only for myself, if you view the PARE as a non life and death test, do not apply to any PD dept.
Thats your life or mine in a fight. If you can not run, push / pull 80 lbs for 4 minutes then there are many other job's in the Alberta region that await you. I want a partner to back me up... not be a witness to why I got shot or knifed.
As for injury, work thru them, what are you going to do when your at DEPOT ? walk to the instrctor and say you have a "boo-boo" and need some time off to recover, come back when your 100 % ?. Good Luck on that one.
How many people in here are working thru some sort of pain to reach that goal ?.
Get tuff or get out.

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:56 pm

I agree. If I am in a fight and I call for backup I want someone who is going to be able to work through a little pain. Not someone who is going to throw in the towel. Could you imagine?
Um...criminal dude could you just surrender because I hurt my back last week?

Or even worse
Um...sorry partner I am nursing a injured shoulder, you're going to have to wait until other units arrive, oh if you need me I'll be out in the car.

I am about to step on the soap box...be forewarned. Policing is a fraternity and as such you have the luxury of knowing that your partners are going to be there come hell or high water. When you do need them, you know they are going to be willing to sacrifice their lives, and even face catastrophic injuries to ensure that you get out ok. It is the beauty of policing (and the emergency service family). If your not willing to do the PARE because you are scared you are going to injure yourself, I have to say that is a pretty bad attitude, and I would NOT want you working with me. I understand everybody is injured from time to time, and sometime people need time to recover but you need to look at why you were unsuccessful and make changes (workout) to improve so you can pass. As I said, I don't want to be in a fight with some drunk and have you show up and no assist on account of being injured. If this is your mindset, you probably should apply for a civilian position where you can nurse your injuries.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

Banned
Rookie Member

Postby Banned » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:22 pm

SD_SC1 wrote:
Banned wrote:But if it's a matter of 30 more seconds of hell to finish a year long application process, time to dig deep and "git er done".

I wasn't casting stones SD. I was trying to give you advice for your next PARE not criticizing your last one.
I didn't say it would be easy - I said it would be worth it: Art Williams

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:04 pm

Banned wrote:
SD_SC1 wrote:

I wasn't casting stones SD.

It's so hard to tell these days. People are so quick to :boxer: .
Sed libera nos a malo.

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:10 pm

It's only because you lob it up for everyone to knock it out of the ballpark.

Did you even read what the other guys said?
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

wannabeRCMP
Rookie Member

Postby wannabeRCMP » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:19 am

Sometimes I wonder if SD is just baiting everyone for kicks. Tell the truth SD, you're really a 40 yr old evil genius who enjoys goofing on cops. Are you a super-troll? :smirk:

(toungue in cheek post, no offence intended)
It's not how hard you hit, it's how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done.

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:00 pm

wannabeRCMP wrote: you're really a 40 yr old evil genius who enjoys goofing on cops.

Nope, I'm not. I'm also not the douchebag you all think I am either. A lot of you misconstrue what I say, over-analyze it, and blow it way out of proportion.

If I was a person who gave up so easily, don't you think after three years of people telling me that I'll never get in, that I would've given up by now? I made a decision and I stand behind it.
Sed libera nos a malo.