bench press bar weight

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
chrisheinz
Rookie Member

Re: bench press bar weight

Postby chrisheinz » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:50 pm

looks like chuck norris on roids!

Columbo
Seasoned Member

Postby Columbo » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:17 pm

chrisheinz wrote:I bench 405, squat 600, deadlift 655. I'm 5'11 205lbs

What's that old adage about first impressions? 'Cause my dad can beat up your dad.
"One more thing..."

millsy84
Rookie Member

Postby millsy84 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:56 pm

in my opinion the best exercise to increase your bench press strength is the flat barbell bench press. compound exercises like this incorporate stabilizer muscles that are not necessarily brought into play with isolated or "machine assisted" lifts. by strengthening these stabilizers your body can then begin to handle heavier loads. and as CO stated progression is absolutely important. in order to increase your strength you should aim to have rep ranges of 3-5 per set. that being said it is important to vary your rep ranges to keep your muscles guessing. you shouldn't always lift in the 3-5 rep range.

I'd also like to finish by saying that MACHINES ARE THE ENEMY OF ANY POTENTIALLY SUCCESSFUL WEIGHT TRAINING PROGRAM!!!! :cuss:

bluefox
Rookie Member

Postby bluefox » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Upon the advice of this thread, I have gone back to mostly flat dumbbell presses, as I find it does in fact pose more of a challenge. My greatest challenge now is as I have gone up in weight consistently with the dumbbells, I can manage the presses themselves, (at my current weight, 2 sets 6 reps, 3rd to failure) however, getting back up from laying down with the weights has me looking pretty funny around the gym! Oh well, all in the name of progress! :)

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:32 pm

Grab someone to help you. Or drop them if the floor is rubberized nicely.

CO

chrisheinz
Rookie Member

Postby chrisheinz » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:29 pm

millsy84 wrote:in my opinion the best exercise to increase your bench press strength is the flat barbell bench press. compound exercises like this incorporate stabilizer muscles that are not necessarily brought into play with isolated or "machine assisted" lifts. by strengthening these stabilizers your body can then begin to handle heavier loads. and as CO stated progression is absolutely important. in order to increase your strength you should aim to have rep ranges of 3-5 per set. that being said it is important to vary your rep ranges to keep your muscles guessing. you shouldn't always lift in the 3-5 rep range.

I'd also like to finish by saying that MACHINES ARE THE ENEMY OF ANY POTENTIALLY SUCCESSFUL WEIGHT TRAINING PROGRAM!!!! :cuss:

I agree 100% with bill

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:55 am

chrisheinz wrote:
millsy84 wrote:in my opinion the best exercise to increase your bench press strength is the flat barbell bench press. compound exercises like this incorporate stabilizer muscles that are not necessarily brought into play with isolated or "machine assisted" lifts. by strengthening these stabilizers your body can then begin to handle heavier loads. and as CO stated progression is absolutely important. in order to increase your strength you should aim to have rep ranges of 3-5 per set. that being said it is important to vary your rep ranges to keep your muscles guessing. you shouldn't always lift in the 3-5 rep range.

I agree 100% with bill

Who's Bill?
kopparoo2b

"Its not enough to just talk about it"

chrisheinz
Rookie Member

Postby chrisheinz » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:33 am

Kopparoo2b wrote:
chrisheinz wrote:

I agree 100% with bill

Who's Bill?

I agree with you Bill! Totally!

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:14 pm

shut up, you tool. I call absolute bull shit
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

mcdonaja
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby mcdonaja » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:22 pm

meathead1 wrote:

Maybe not meathead, I think I saw him the other day...you know the guy with the big muscles and the small penis.

Last edited by mcdonaja on Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Cops solve problems. Don't be a problem and you won't get solved."
Freedom Friday - Jan 06 2012 - 32 years 1 month

mcdonaja
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby mcdonaja » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:30 pm

Sorry perhaps he's a she, then it would be this very attractive figure.

"Cops solve problems. Don't be a problem and you won't get solved."
Freedom Friday - Jan 06 2012 - 32 years 1 month

Cambo
Veteran Member

Postby Cambo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:32 pm

Haha, I seen a kid the other day at the gym doing squats with 4 plates a side and literally only squatting down about 3 inches. I coundn't take watching it after awhile so I went over to him and said if your gonna do squats like that you might as well stay home because it will have the same effect. Oh, and you can lift more if you grunt and moan like a complete douche bag too! :roll:
A people that values it's privileges above it's principles soon loses both
- Dwight Eisenhower

"Were you born stupid or did you pick that up along the way?"

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:13 am

meathead1 wrote:

I hit numbers well in excess of your bench and squat. Never was a good dealifter. But I didn't weigh no 205 pounds (maybe as a fetus). Nice numbers, bro!

CO

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:50 am

CourtOfficer wrote:
meathead1 wrote:

I hit numbers well in excess of your bench and squat. Never was a good dealifter. But I didn't weigh no 205 pounds (maybe as a fetus). Nice numbers, bro!

CO

(maybe as a fetus)

Your Poor Mama 88)
kopparoo2b

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:53 am

mcdonaja wrote:Sorry perhaps he's a she, then it would be this very attractive figure.

WoW!! If it wasn't for the face and body.....that could almost be me........ :lol: :lol:
kopparoo2b