bench press bar weight

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
Jim Street
King Poobah

Re: bench press bar weight

Postby Jim Street » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:18 pm

Actually straight bar bench press is a poor way to judge strength, it's an overrated exercise. You'd be better off doing dumbbell presses.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:32 pm

bluefox wrote:
CourtOfficer wrote:What you're referring to is a "Smith Machine". Each are different. Some of the best Smith machines are counterweighted to make the bar almost weigh nothing, basically floats on air. The number is not as important as knowing that you are being progressive in using more and more weight as your strength permits. So whether you don't count the bar or do, just ensure you're progressing.

CO

Thanks... I have been adding 5lbs per side every week or two, which is tough, but doable... still, would like to try them "free" of the machine! Amazing how strong they make you feel, and I imagine, regular bench presses will use the core as well, to stabilize.

Yeah, if given the choice always choose the free weights. Any exercise if done progressively will result in hypertrophy but generally compound exercises (those exercising groups of muscles) done with free weights should be your bread and butter.

CO

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:15 am

So (I'm not sure of proper terms here), it would be better to lie back and "free press" a weight (s) with a bar, than doing the actual bench press. Have someone spotting you if you're getting to weights that are getting difficult? I've not done much with free weights, usually just different "machines" that work different muscles.

Why are free weights better?

Thanks...
kopparoo2b

"Its not enough to just talk about it"

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:39 am

They incorporate more muscles and aren't only isolating one part or group.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

SHAMROCK
Veteran Member

Postby SHAMROCK » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:07 pm

Jim Street wrote:They incorporate more muscles and aren't only isolating one part or group.

I never thought of that. It makes sense. I would guess thats why I read that alot of the pros like to use that or an incline dumbell press in their chest routines.

inlimbo
Rookie Member

Postby inlimbo » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:05 pm

Dumbell presses are better due to the fact that you can bring the weight further back and incorporate more of the muscle fibers, as Jim pointed out.
Where the bar can only go as low as your chest, dumbells will allow you to go lower. This will force your shoulder blades together and force the effort to raise them directly where it should be, your pecs. Try it and you'll feel the difference straight off.
P.S. DO NOT use the same weight as a straight bar. LOL
Smurf shirted Constable Side-kick.

I think that ultimately [women] have to raise the white flag, and just accept us for the emotional retards that we are, don't you think? -Hank Moody

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:26 pm

SHAMROCK wrote:
Jim Street wrote:They incorporate more muscles and aren't only isolating one part or group.

I never thought of that. It makes sense. I would guess thats why I read that alot of the pros like to use that or an incline dumbell press in their chest routines.

That and the ergonomics of alot machines out there may not be particularly well suited to all individuals. Which can lead to infective workouts at the lowend of the scale (because of various issues ie; machine won't allow full ROM, works out the muscle groups inefficiently) to causing debiltating injuries on the other end of the scale.

I personally don't like machines anymore, cause they work your muscles predominatly in isolation, which is not how you function in day to day life. Isolation is good if you are rehabing and need to strengthen a particular segment of your body, but outside that sphere, there is no health benefit, just an aesthetic one.

Also in reference to Kopparroo, if you are using a spotter each and everytime you bench, you are either a) using too much weight each time, b) using incorrect form c) both. A spotters job is to keep you from getting pinned, and once they put there hands on the bar, your lift is done, however pretty much everyone will continue lifting with the spotter assisting, which is meaningless since YOU weren't lifting the weight (typically its about 50/50 from what I usually witness in gyms). The is primarily why I bench in a rack/cage, cause I don't want a spotter grabbing the bar and doing the lift for me, if I fail the bar lands on the pins and not my chest.

SHAMROCK
Veteran Member

Postby SHAMROCK » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:21 pm

I used to use incline db presses in my routine maybe I will go back to using it.

SHAMROCK
Veteran Member

Postby SHAMROCK » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:27 pm

[quote="48highlander
That and the ergonomics of alot machines out there may not be particularly well suited to all individuals. Which can lead to infective workouts at the lowend of the scale (because of various issues ie; machine won't allow full ROM, works out the muscle groups inefficiently) to causing debiltating injuries on the other end of the scale.

I personally don't like machines anymore, cause they work your muscles predominatly in isolation, which is not how you function in day to day life. Isolation is good if you are rehabing and need to strengthen a particular segment of your body, but outside that sphere, there is no health benefit, just an aesthetic one.

Also in reference to Kopparroo, if you are using a spotter each and everytime you bench, you are either a) using too much weight each time, b) using incorrect form c) both. A spotters job is to keep you from getting pinned, and once they put there hands on the bar, your lift is done, however pretty much everyone will continue lifting with the spotter assisting, which is meaningless since YOU weren't lifting the weight (typically its about 50/50 from what I usually witness in gyms). The is primarily why I bench in a rack/cage, cause I don't want a spotter grabbing the bar and doing the lift for me, if I fail the bar lands on the pins and not my chest.[/quote]

I found too with spotting (this is just from my own experience) that it comes down to techinique. When I had people spot a barbell bench press that I wold want them to put their hand under the bar and not grip it overtop. That way and again this is just from my experience they are assisting you less in lifting the weight. As a practice if I needed to have the person assist me for two reps then the lift was over.

chrisheinz
Rookie Member

Postby chrisheinz » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:43 pm

I bench 405, squat 600, deadlift 655. I'm 5'11 205lbs

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:52 pm

SHAMROCK wrote:[quote="48highlander

Also in reference to Kopparroo, if you are using a spotter each and everytime you bench, you are either a) using too much weight each time, b) using incorrect form c) both. A spotters job is to keep you from getting pinned, and once they put there hands on the bar, your lift is done, however pretty much everyone will continue lifting with the spotter assisting, which is meaningless since YOU weren't lifting the weight (typically its about 50/50 from what I usually witness in gyms). The is primarily why I bench in a rack/cage, cause I don't want a spotter grabbing the bar and doing the lift for me, if I fail the bar lands on the pins and not my chest.

I found too with spotting (this is just from my own experience) that it comes down to techinique. When I had people spot a barbell bench press that I wold want them to put their hand under the bar and not grip it overtop. That way and again this is just from my experience they are assisting you less in lifting the weight. As a practice if I needed to have the person assist me for two reps then the lift was over.[/quote]

I think you misunderstood my post. I have never had a spotter because the weights I do are always connected to a machine. So I only lift what I can lift on my own and am just working my way up. I was asking if I did the "free weight" lift with a bar, should I have someone spotting, or if that was how it was done. I notice guys at the gym often have someone standing behind them during the last sets when they're trying to get the last few lifts in.

I understand what you're saying, and it makes sense. I will try and implement more free weights into my program. I just always thought you were well served when you used the different machines that concentrated on different muscle parts.

Thanks
kopparoo2b

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:56 pm

chrisheinz wrote:I bench 405, squat 600, deadlift 655. I'm 5'11 205lbs

If I had cookies, I'd give you one.

CO

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:59 pm

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

Luke101
Rookie Member

Postby Luke101 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:28 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:

If I had cookies, I'd give you one.

CO

We work for doughnuts.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

RCMP Constable

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:50 pm

Do you look like this?

I'm just askin....because he looks about 5'11.............. :wave:
kopparoo2b